Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Quote from: Liep on November 28, 2013, 03:31:06 PM
'medarbejdertilfredshedsanalyse

And people give German shit about its compound nouns.  :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

Watching a documentary on TV and a guy says 2011 as 'twenty-eleven'. This made me cringe. That just doesn't sound right for some reason. Twenty twelve is fine but there's something about 20-11. :hmm:
██████
██████
██████

Barrister

Quote from: Tyr on November 29, 2013, 12:46:21 AM
Watching a documentary on TV and a guy says 2011 as 'twenty-eleven'. This made me cringe. That just doesn't sound right for some reason. Twenty twelve is fine but there's something about 20-11. :hmm:

You're crazy.

We went through a whole awkward decade where we had to announce the full year (Two Thousand through Two Thousand and Nine), but after that it became okay to say "twenty-ten".
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Syt

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Avp9aUkM5g0
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

Quote from: Barrister on November 29, 2013, 12:49:56 AM

You're crazy.

We went through a whole awkward decade where we had to announce the full year (Two Thousand through Two Thousand and Nine), but after that it became okay to say "twenty-ten".
Yeah (though I always meet Japanese people who insist on twenty- two....) but 2011....I don't know, it just sounded weird. I guess because of the soft sound of the e?
██████
██████
██████

Camerus

Quote from: Tyr on November 28, 2013, 01:19:42 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on November 27, 2013, 10:22:01 PM
Quote from: Barrister on November 27, 2013, 12:20:17 PM
What really irks me is how many Canadian stores are starting to have "Black Friday" sales.  Hell I heard an ad that Canadian Tire is going to have a Red Thursday sale ("It's like Black Friday but it's on Thursday, and it's Red").

It's not our holiday! :ultra:
I've even seen it in the UK, to much bafflement :lol:

...what the hell?
Can't wait till boxing day?
But then I guess boxing day sales have been creeping earlier and and earlier....

To be honest, it's a way better day to go shopping than Boxing Day.  Who the fuck wants to go on a shopping spree the day after Christmas?

Liep

So they're also trying to market this day as Black Friday here. They're skipping the Thanksgiving bit and just reasons the name with "We're going black". It's online only so I don't know why they didn't take that idea from USA instead. :huh:
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Admiral Yi

USA! USA! USA!

Suck on that Squeeze :moon:.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

mongers

I don't operate well on less sleep, only had 20 hours in the last 110+ hours.

Not a happy bunny.   <_<
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Ideologue

I had an 800 calorie Thanksgiving. :smoke:
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

CountDeMoney

Did you stay home like I told you to, or did you go and enjoy the family judging?

Ideologue

Actually it was substantially more pleasant than I expected. -_-

In fact, my sister was cool for once and, as she has some friends in the area, I hung out with them Thanksgiving night.

Played tennis with my dad today.  I've never played tennis before.  That was fun and more than slightly embarrassing. :lol:
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)