News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

I beat he's got his club already picked out for Baby Seal Appreciation Day, too.

Barrister

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 27, 2013, 01:06:00 PM
I beat he's got his club already picked out for Baby Seal Appreciation Day, too.

It's an ancient custom of the Inuit people.

Why do you hate aboriginal Canadians Seedy? :contract:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

lustindarkness

Why have boxing day anyway? Stick to hockey and curling.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Grey Fox

Quote from: Barrister on November 27, 2013, 12:20:17 PM
What really irks me is how many Canadian stores are starting to have "Black Friday" sales.  Hell I heard an ad that Canadian Tire is going to have a Red Thursday sale ("It's like Black Friday but it's on Thursday, and it's Red").

It's not our holiday! :ultra:

It's not, it's an excuse to have sales. If you don't we cross the border & go buy our electronics in the US.

The Romanian diaspora of my work place, tells me that there's a Black Friday in Romania these days.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Josephus

^^^

This.

It just makes sense. Retailers lose to cross border shopping, especially since dollar is almost at parity. I like the fact that I can buy cool stuff cheap BEFORE Christmas.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Barrister

Quote from: Josephus on November 27, 2013, 01:57:19 PM
^^^

This.

It just makes sense. Retailers lose to cross border shopping, especially since dollar is almost at parity. I like the fact that I can buy cool stuff cheap BEFORE Christmas.

No.  Our big sales are on Boxing Day.  That's how it has always been, and how it must continue to be. :contract:

Valmy

I guess I don't get the point of having a big sale AFTER I already bought all my Christmas gifts.  I would have no money left to take advantage of these sales.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Brain

I don't think baby Jesus got Christmas presents that were bought at a sale.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on November 27, 2013, 02:25:12 PM
I guess I don't get the point of having a big sale AFTER I already bought all my Christmas gifts.  I would have no money left to take advantage of these sales.

1. Traditionally at least the stores substantially mark down the price on any excess inventory that was brought in for Christmas.  It wasn't just a sale for the point of having a sale, you could get substantial discounts.

2. Christmas is the day you bug gifts for other people.  Boxing Day is the day you buy a gift for yourself.  :ph34r:

derspiess

Quote from: Barrister on November 27, 2013, 02:45:11 PM
2. Christmas is the day you bug gifts for other people.  Boxing Day is the day you buy a gift for yourself.  :ph34r:

Ah, so espionage is part of the Canadian tradition  :hmm:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

11B4V

QuotePizza Hut GM: I Tried to Close on Thanksgiving, Got Fired
(Newser) – A Pizza Hut general manager didn't think his workers should have to come in on Thanksgiving, and his bosses disagreed. Now, Tony Rohr, whose Elkhart, Indiana, location is owned by Franchise Management Investors US, says he has been fired. After being told that he had to stay open tomorrow, Rohr let bosses know his position. "I said, 'Why can't we be the company that stands up and says we care about our employees and they can have the day off?'" he tells WSBT. Superiors told him he could stay open or he could step down, Gawker reports.

Rohr, who's worked at the store for a decade, wrote his response in a letter: "I do not resign; however, I accept that the refusal to comply with this greedy, immoral request means the end of my tenure with this company." He added, "I hope you realize that it's the people at the bottom of the totem pole that make your life possible." One of Rohr's bosses contests his account, saying the GM wasn't fired but quit; he said the order to open came from corporate, which is getting quite the beating on Facebook. Whole Foods, meanwhile, is facing a Thanksgiving backlash of its own. Workers in two Chicago stores are planning a walkout today over being required to work on the holiday, Salon reports. Costco and Nordstrom, on the other hand, are among stores refusing to join in on Black Thursday.

http://www.newser.com/story/178277/pizza-hut-gm-i-tried-to-close-on-thanksgiving-got-fired.html
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Capetan Mihali

*cue Cal talking about Yum! Brands*
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: 11B4V on November 27, 2013, 03:22:02 PM
QuotePizza Hut GM: I Tried to Close on Thanksgiving, Got Fired
(Newser) – A Pizza Hut general manager didn't think his workers should have to come in on Thanksgiving, and his bosses disagreed. Now, Tony Rohr, whose Elkhart, Indiana, location is owned by Franchise Management Investors US, says he has been fired. After being told that he had to stay open tomorrow, Rohr let bosses know his position. "I said, 'Why can't we be the company that stands up and says we care about our employees and they can have the day off?'" he tells WSBT. Superiors told him he could stay open or he could step down, Gawker reports.

Rohr, who's worked at the store for a decade, wrote his response in a letter: "I do not resign; however, I accept that the refusal to comply with this greedy, immoral request means the end of my tenure with this company." He added, "I hope you realize that it's the people at the bottom of the totem pole that make your life possible." One of Rohr's bosses contests his account, saying the GM wasn't fired but quit; he said the order to open came from corporate, which is getting quite the beating on Facebook. Whole Foods, meanwhile, is facing a Thanksgiving backlash of its own. Workers in two Chicago stores are planning a walkout today over being required to work on the holiday, Salon reports. Costco and Nordstrom, on the other hand, are among stores refusing to join in on Black Thursday.

http://www.newser.com/story/178277/pizza-hut-gm-i-tried-to-close-on-thanksgiving-got-fired.html

I'd hire that guy.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Josephus

Boxing day is really big here for electronics stuff. TVs, stereos, etc. are really discounted. Women like purses and such junk.

People line up forever outside the big malls on Boxing Day. I've never really gotten into that. Most appliances/stereo stores keep the sale going for days, pretty much, as Beeb siad, to clear out inventory.

I'm  all for TWO big sales discounts day a year. :D
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

mongers

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"