The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: Barrister on March 16, 2012, 03:59:03 PM
Quote from: derspiess on March 16, 2012, 03:46:12 PM
Damned Irish :angry:

I hear you brutha.

I need to get me one of these for tomorrow somehow...

:punk:

I was particularly perturbed Friday because we were at a new microbrewery down on the river (finally built something decent on the Cincy side!) watching day 2 NCCA tourney games when some attention-whoring dude dressed in a green kilt decided to come in & "play" his bagpipes.  I say "play" because he was horrible. 

He got some light applause after his first song but by the third song everyone wanted him to get out.  He finally wandered outside where they were setting up for an Irish festival but got little attention there.  When we left he was back inside, wandering around, still alone.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Lettow77

Idle days in which nothing gets done are punctuated by periods of extreme activity. A ten page paper (unstarted, of course..) is due tomorrow, and today had two quizzes, the studying for which I did in snatched periods before the classes themselves.

More importantly, my passport arrived today, and there is a flurry of things that should be done in the near future/present attending applications to japanese schools over the summer. I am a little baffled that these documents must be mailed, rather than emailed; How quaint!

I've never done anything like this before, and wish there was more direction from someone. It always felt as if mundane and simple tasks that everyone can manage such as this one give me an inordinate amount of difficulty.

Edit: Moonschool over the summer isn't a _necessity_, like say, getting a job with JET or an inferior equivalent in the immediate afermath of graduation, but it is highly desirable. Preferred location is holy sacred Kyushu.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Syt

News section of the company intranet:

"Japan remembers the Earthquake and Tsunami"

Right next to it: "Tectonic Shift in Biopharmaceutical Research in Asia"

:XD:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Ideologue

Doc review was ok.  I was only there five hours today for training, though.

I was ridiculously overdressed. -_-  My buddy and I were hired through two different temp services for the same project--his said business, mine said business casual, so I just conceded it to him.  There was one guy there in a flannel shirt.  (P.S.: I feel pretty bad for the old dudes. :( )
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ed Anger

I dressed like Gil Grissom today.

I better see these vines worked on by next week or I'm shooting you in the knee.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Admiral Yi

I was very surprised the other day to learn that Sweden has no inheritance tax.

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 19, 2012, 06:44:08 PM

Jealous?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Quote from: DGuller on March 19, 2012, 12:59:40 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on March 18, 2012, 11:56:57 PM
Well, I went and got my perscriptions at Wal-Greens.  Apparently someone has confused the number "45" with the number "4".  Raz is not amused.
What was the prescription for? Nitrous oxide?

Serequel.   It's an atypical antipsychotic.  There were two problems.  The new doctor screwed it up and prescribed the wrong dosage (or one that differed substantially from what the previous doctor prescribed and made no mention of the change.  Also the Wal-Greens was plumb out of the pills.  So be warned, my posts might get a little odd this week.

I hate my new doctor.  Bitch made me wait an hour and half because she got confused and thought I wasn't there yet.  They moved me from the competent Pakistani guy, to the new doctor for some reason.  I think cause they think I'm doing better and the don't trust her with the more severe patients.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on March 19, 2012, 06:49:22 PM
Jealous?

Either that or surprised.  Let's try to decode my post to figure out which one it is.

Razgovory

We all know you resent having to give Uncle Sam his share when Rev. Moon finally drops dead.

sbr

90 minutes after turning 21, a drunk kid drives his car into Serenity Lane, an alcohol treatment center.   :lol:

http://www.kpic.com/news/local/Police-respond-to-6--142824935.html

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 19, 2012, 06:44:08 PM
Abolished by the Social Democrats :w00t:
Let's bomb Russia!

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 19, 2012, 07:04:38 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on March 19, 2012, 06:49:22 PM
Jealous?

Either that or surprised.  Let's try to decode my post to figure out which one it is.

False dilemma.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 19, 2012, 07:30:05 PM
Abolished by the Social Democrats :w00t:

I would have figured you for an inheritance tax supporter.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 19, 2012, 07:38:35 PMI would have figured you for an inheritance tax supporter.
Why?

I'm not strong either way.  I think way, way too many people are caught by it in the UK right now.  It also seems to be one of those taxes which is more about making a statement and punishing the rich rather than actually improving social mobility or paying for the state.  In other words the sort of taxes American lefties love.
Let's bomb Russia!