Massacre at historic African American Church in Charleston

Started by jimmy olsen, June 18, 2015, 12:10:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

I don't think either group was very successful at co-opting them though.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Malthus on June 25, 2015, 03:41:01 PM
Get 'em to fight! A Nazi Washington-Commie Lincoln cage match!

Washington would win easily. Since they were both so tall I would prefer one-on-one basketball.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on June 25, 2015, 03:42:07 PM
I don't think either group was very successful at co-opting them though.

I guess I should have said "tried".
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on June 25, 2015, 03:34:10 PM
Quote from: Malthus on June 25, 2015, 03:30:23 PM
I love the giant, glowing George Washington.

Personally, I think there is a lot of milage to be had out of a fifty foot, radioactive, Nazi Washington.  :D

Unfortunately that glorious moment of giant George Washington worshiping was interrupted by angry Jews rushing the stage. Geez. Lighten up Yitzhak.

A glowing Washington that can't drive off a pack of pesky Jews with lasers shooting from his eyes simply isn't worth worshipping.  :(
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on June 25, 2015, 03:43:21 PM
Quote from: Malthus on June 25, 2015, 03:41:01 PM
Get 'em to fight! A Nazi Washington-Commie Lincoln cage match!

Washington would win easily. Since they were both so tall I would prefer one-on-one basketball.

Wasn't Washington a modest 6'1 or 2?  Barely a point guard.  Now that Lincoln guy was at least a small forward.

Valmy

Huh you're right. For some reason I thought he was like 6'5".

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on June 25, 2015, 03:54:47 PM
Huh you're right. For some reason I thought he was like 6'5".

Easy mistake to make. Languish has taught me his is normally portrayed as a 50' glow in the dark superhero

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on June 25, 2015, 03:38:17 PM
So the Nazis co-opted Washington and Commies co-opted Lincoln.  Odd how that worked out.

Washington makes a poor Nazi hero, considering how much he respected the Jews.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on June 25, 2015, 04:28:43 PM
So the Nazis co-opted Washington and Commies co-opted Lincoln.  Odd how that worked out.

And Lincoln was very pro-business, which a far left prof of mine used to angrily admit.

crazy canuck

Quote from: derspiess on June 25, 2015, 04:36:57 PM

And Lincoln was very pro-business, which a far left prof of mine used to angrily admit.

Is there a far left in the US?

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Syt on June 25, 2015, 01:34:31 PM
I'm glad my redneck Florida sister is chiming in on the debate:

She doea know it was a "battle" flag doesn't she? Helping to kill people was it's purpose.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

Anyone got a shirt with Che waving a Confederate flag?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on June 25, 2015, 04:36:57 PM

The right has difficult time with Lincoln's enemies referring to themselves as conservative.  Clement Vallandigham hardly makes a good role model for conservatives.  Well, maybe Rand Paul.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

alfred russel

Reflecting on the changes in the confederate flag use over the past couple decades, I think a major change was 9/11. Before that the flag was very common. It was also very common to denigrate "yankees". My father used to tell me that the worst insult growing up was to be called a yankee, which used to bother him because he was born in Illinois (my grandparents were there during WWII while my grandfather was being trained in the Navy) and he thought the other school kids could detect that somehow and he really was a yankee.

I remember hearing the radio on 9/11 and the radio hosts telling listeners that they understood lots of listeners would prefer their taxes going to Richmond, but that this was not the time to trash new york or raise the confederate flag. And all that did stop. The confederate flag went away and the american flag was everywhere. Eventually the american flags went back to their normal level, but the confederate flags never came back and neither did the "yankee" bashing. But when you lose the disdain for the north, it is hard to really see the flag in the same way.

Some of that could also be because I live in a city with lots of northern transplants.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014