Modern Family star Sofia Vergara sued by own frozen embryos

Started by Syt, December 09, 2016, 08:17:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Well, by her ex on behalf of the embryos. :P

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-38252457

QuoteSofia Vergara: US actress faces lawsuit 'from own embryos'

Modern Family star Sofia Vergara is being, in effect, sued by two frozen embryos she conceived with the partner she split from, US media report.

The embryos, named Emma and Isabella, are listed in Louisiana court documents obtained by the New York Post.

She and Nick Loeb separated in 2014 and he has already tried unsuccessfully to sue for the embryos' custody.

The new lawsuit argues that the embryos are being deprived of their inheritance from a trust by not being born.

The trust is reported to have been created for them in Louisiana, although the embryos are located in California.

Louisiana is considered a "pro-life" state and under its law a fertilised egg is seen as a "juridical person".

The Louisiana case names a trustee as plaintiff, but not Mr Loeb himself. The suit asks that the embryos be transferred to Mr Loeb so that they can be born and receive their inheritance.

Ms Vergara, 44, and Mr Loeb, a 41-year-old businessman, created the embryos at a California clinic through in-vitro fertilisation (IVF) in 2013.

A contract signed at the time is reported to have stipulated that neither partner could do anything with the embryos without the other's consent.

Ms Vergara, according the suit, is alleged to be refusing to allow them to be implanted in a surrogate mother.

Mr Loeb's legal team allege that both Ms Vergara and Mr Loeb went into the IVF process on the understanding that the embryos would be brought to term.

'Going to hell'

The IVF process initially produced several embryos, prompting the following text message exchange, according to the plaintiff's documents.

Mr Loeb: "Now what. You can't keep 4 frozen lives forever or kill them, we will go to hell."

Ms Vergara: "We r going to hell regardless".

Ms Vergara's lawyer, Fred Silberberg, told US weekly the case against his client would fail.

"That genetic material was created pursuant to a written agreement that required both parties' written consent to attempt to create a pregnancy."

Ms Vergara is now married to American actor, Joe Manganiello. She has a son by previous marriage.

The case has again thrown the spotlight in the United States on the issue of when a fertilised egg should be considered a human being.

In the state of Ohio, Republican lawmakers have approved a bill which would ban abortions once a heartbeat has been detected in an embryo.

The measure, which has yet to be signed into law by Governor John Kasich, could mean no abortions six weeks after conception.

It would be one of the strictest abortion laws in the US if approved.

I may be cynical, but I feel "receive their inheritance" is the key motivation for Mr Loeb.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

KRonn

I may be cynical, but I feel "receive their inheritance" is the key motivation for Mr Loeb.

:yes:

Scipio

What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Barrister

Quote from: Scipio on December 09, 2016, 03:07:54 PM
Wow, does she have shitty taste in men.

Who amongst us has not had shitty taste in the opposite sex from time to time?  Certainly not I. -_-
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

celedhring

Eddie Teach

You cynics! He wants his genetic material to mix with hers, is that so wrong?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josquius

If you had missed off the link I would have assumed this was an onion piece.
██████
██████
██████

derspiess

Quote from: Scipio on December 09, 2016, 03:07:54 PM
Wow, does she have shitty taste in men.

Seriously.  Makes me sad that I never had a chance with her :(
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

HVC

We've truly reached an age of gender equality when it's the men trying to have kids to cash out :lol:
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Josephus

Quote from: Tyr on December 09, 2016, 04:08:06 PM
If you had missed off the link I would have assumed this was an onion piece.

Yeah, I saw the headline and didn't think it was a real story...LOL
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011