Massacre at historic African American Church in Charleston

Started by jimmy olsen, June 18, 2015, 12:10:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on June 25, 2015, 01:11:05 PM
Quote from: Valmy on June 25, 2015, 01:05:31 PM
Quote from: derspiess on June 25, 2015, 01:02:06 PM
I wonder if you can buy that Novorossiya flag at places that banned the confederate flag.

Did a Novorossiya guy do something to get in the news recently that would make that place look bad?

Not sure if serious.

Then no. I don't think they just banned every St. Andrews Cross ever anywhere.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on June 25, 2015, 01:29:09 PM

:rolleyes:  I was sort of making a joke since the flags are so similar.  Never mind.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Syt

I'm glad my redneck Florida sister is chiming in on the debate:

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Admiral Yi

I wish you Krauts could learn to do some things half way.  :D

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on June 25, 2015, 01:31:00 PM
Quote from: Valmy on June 25, 2015, 01:29:09 PM

:rolleyes:  I was sort of making a joke since the flags are so similar.  Never mind.

Sorry that was to obscure for me :blush:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

derspiess

Okay.  So I guess now we're going to get the backlash against the backlash, in true culture war form.  Should be lots of fun :mellow:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on June 25, 2015, 02:32:50 PM
Okay.  So I guess now we're going to get the backlash against the backlash, in true culture war form.  Should be lots of fun :mellow:

Well that is how it goes these days.

Savonarola

Quote from: Valmy on June 23, 2015, 08:03:36 AM
Yes. Again it was everywhere before.

I think a huge factor has been the GI generation dying off. They were the ones whose Grandfathers were all Confederate vets. Back when they were still alive we couldn't be too mean about the Confederacy.

That's interesting; from what I understood the Confederate Battle Flag resurged in popularity only after the Second World War as a symbol of the Dixiecrats.  Prior to that it wasn't widely used.

Interestingly, prior to the Second World War the US Flag was used by hate groups.  Here's the Klan marching on Washington in 1925:

And the German-Amercan Bund from 1938:

In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Valmy

Not in the South. Hate Groups were more national back then. I mean it would make no sense for the Bund to have Confederate Flags.

Malthus

I love the giant, glowing George Washington.

Personally, I think there is a lot of milage to be had out of a fifty foot, radioactive, Nazi Washington.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Quote from: Malthus on June 25, 2015, 03:30:23 PM
I love the giant, glowing George Washington.

Personally, I think there is a lot of milage to be had out of a fifty foot, radioactive, Nazi Washington.  :D

Unfortunately that glorious moment of giant George Washington worshiping was interrupted by angry Jews rushing the stage. Geez. Lighten up Yitzhak.

Barrister

It is a fair point though.  A awful lot of vicious, racist hateful things have been done under the Stars and Stripes.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

derspiess

So the Nazis co-opted Washington and Commies co-opted Lincoln.  Odd how that worked out.

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on June 25, 2015, 03:37:02 PM
It is a fair point though.  A awful lot of vicious, racist hateful things have been done under the Stars and Stripes.

Not really. I mean yes lots of bad things have been done under the Stars and Stripes. But that is not the point.

Malthus

Quote from: derspiess on June 25, 2015, 03:38:17 PM
So the Nazis co-opted Washington and Commies co-opted Lincoln.  Odd how that worked out.

Get 'em to fight! A Nazi Washington-Commie Lincoln cage match!
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius