Massacre at historic African American Church in Charleston

Started by jimmy olsen, June 18, 2015, 12:10:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

For what it's worth, a lot of West Virginians make their way to DC (strip clubs are full of them) and I've spent a whole week in Harlan County.  I couldn't pick any difference between the two accents.

Caliga

Quote from: alfred russel on June 26, 2015, 11:21:07 AM
Quote from: Lettow77 on June 26, 2015, 11:00:06 AM
I'd be interested to hear more about this spectrum of southern accents. I don't suppose you mean to say he sounds like he's from East Tennessee?

I really don't know. Maybe he sounds a bit appalachian?
I'd agree with that.  Contrary to popular belief Ide is easy enough to understand, but it's clearly a Southern accent.  Lettuce, I haven't heard enough East Tennesseans speak to be able to compare Ide to them, but I mean he doesn't sound like Dolly Parton or anything. :D
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

Quote from: Syt on June 26, 2015, 11:56:14 AM
What I imagine Ide sounds like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03iwAY4KlIU

Huh. Lots of that in the Okie side of the family. But then the family is originally from the Appalachia part of Ohio and West Virginia. This is pretty much how my Grandfather said his father talked and he was born in Gallia County Ohio.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

I don't know what my accent is.  People around here don't think I'm from here.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Barrister

I wish Manitoba had some kind of hillbilly accent.  I'd totally play that up.   :alberta:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

lustindarkness

After 16 years here, seems I use a few southern words with their proper southern accent and throws people off. Y'all.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Malthus

Quote from: Barrister on June 26, 2015, 12:40:32 PM
I wish Manitoba had some kind of hillbilly accent.  I'd totally play that up.   :alberta:

We can think of you as a hillbilly without the accent, if you like.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

I imoogine all the Canadian posters tookin like hoockey players eh.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

garbon

When I have the energy, I like to return to my birthplace with the accent of The Valley.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: garbon on June 26, 2015, 12:57:50 PM
When I have the energy, I like to return to my birthplace with the accent of The Valley.

Joking aside, is their a male version of Valleyspeak?

Barrister

Quote from: Malthus on June 26, 2015, 12:46:51 PM
Quote from: Barrister on June 26, 2015, 12:40:32 PM

We can think of you as a hillbilly without the accent, if you like.  ;)

You don't already? :o
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

I always picture BB posting while using his curling broom in a Mounties uniform.

Tonitrus

Quote from: Valmy on June 26, 2015, 01:01:54 PM
I always picture BB posting while using his curling broom in a Mounties uniform.

Some things are best kept in the privacy of the bedroom.