Massacre at historic African American Church in Charleston

Started by jimmy olsen, June 18, 2015, 12:10:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaCroix

should a state remove an offensive flag from a capitol when the state did not intend for the flag to offend anyone? should an employer fire an employee over offensive comments when the employee did not intend for his comments to offend anyone?  :hmm:

while i may not agree with ders here, i respect his consistency.  :D

Berkut

Jeb Bush Surprised How Easily Stance On Confederate Flag Set Him Apart From Other Republican Candidates
TALLAHASSEE, FL—Expressing satisfaction with the unexpected bump in his polling numbers, Republican presidential candidate Jeb Bush confirmed Monday that he was astonished by how easily his stance on removing the Confederate flag from the South Carolina Capitol set him apart from the rest of the GOP field. "When I tweeted in support of taking down a widely recognized symbol of racism and white supremacy, I thought I'd fall pretty squarely in line with the other Republican candidates, but fortunately I was wrong," said Bush after competitors in the GOP primary race either refused to voice an opinion to avoid offending voters or suggested that the decision should fall to the state's lawmakers, establishing himself as the most sane member of the field "with pretty much zero effort." "All I had to do was offer a basic sentiment about how they should take down a flag widely considered to represent slavery and horrific racial oppression, and boom—suddenly I'm the only enlightened one in the group. I wish everything was this effortless." Bush reportedly expressed relief that he was able to stand out on the Confederate flag issue and wasn't forced to change his stance on climate change, abortion, taxes, immigration, the economy, foreign policy, budget spending, education reform, or national defense.

The Onion strikes again. They have gotten really, really good at this.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

sbr

http://myfox8.com/2015/06/22/walmart-to-stop-selling-confederate-flag-merchandise/

QuoteWalmart to stop selling Confederate flag merchandise
POSTED 7:34 PM, JUNE 22, 2015, BY CNN WIRE

BENTONVILLE, Ark. — Walmart, the country's largest retailer, will remove all Confederate flag merchandise from its stores, the company said on Monday.

The announcement is the latest indication that the flag, a symbol of the slave-holding South, has become toxic in the aftermath of a shooting last week at a historic black church in Charleston, South Carolina. Gov. Nikki Haley announced in a Monday afternoon news conference that she supports removing the Confederate flag from the state capitol grounds.

Walmart.com currently carries the Confederate flag as well as attire featuring the flag's design, such as T-shirts and belt buckles.

"We never want to offend anyone with the products that we offer. We have taken steps to remove all items promoting the confederate flag from our assortment — whether in our stores or on our web site," said Walmart spokesman Brian Nick. "We have a process in place to help lead us to the right decisions when it comes to the merchandise we sell. Still, at times, items make their way into our assortment improperly — this is one of those instances."

Walmart's statement came in response to a CNN inquiry Monday. In addition to Walmart, CNN asked Amazon and eBay whether they would remove Confederate flag merchandise from their sites. Neither company responded to repeated requests for comment.

The long-running debate over displaying the Confederate flag on government buildings took a swift turn after last week's massacre in Charleston, which left nine African-Americans dead in their church. The shooter, 21-year-old Dylann Roof, has confessed to the murders and has said he wanted to instigate a "race war."

One widely circulated photo of the shooter holding a gun and a Confederate flag has stirred intense outrage. Critics of the flag quickly called on South Carolina to take down what is widely viewed as a symbol of racism.

Amazon.com lists pages of Confederate flag-related merchandise, ranging from the flag itself to folding knives, T-shirts, blankets and even shower curtains.

eBay also carries the Confederate flag and accessories such as handbags and jewelry. The online auction site's "offensive material policy" bans the sale of items that "promote hatred or racial supremacy including historic and current items."

Haley on Monday declared it was time to remove the flag from the capitol grounds.

"This flag, while an integral part of our past, does not represent the future of our great state," the second-term governor said, in an announcement that drew thunderous applause and cheers.

Haley was surrounded by many of the state's elected officials, including Republican Sens. Lindsey Graham and Tim Scott, Democratic Rep. Jim Clyburn and Republican Rep. Mark Sanford.

Many of the 2016 GOP presidential candidates and likely candidates — including former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush, former Texas Gov. Rick Perry and Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker — voiced their support for Haley's decision following her speech.

I just noticed the bolded line.  :D

Valmy

Quote from: LaCroix on June 22, 2015, 06:34:08 PM
should a state remove an offensive flag from a capitol when the state did not intend for the flag to offend anyone?

Pretty sure when they raised this flag in Charleston Harbor they intended to offend somebody :P

Note: May be a romanticized painting and may never have happened.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

LaCroix

i assume south carolina took down the reb flag after the war and reintroduced it some years later.  :P

alfred russel

Quote from: Valmy on June 22, 2015, 02:17:23 PM
Quote from: derspiess on June 22, 2015, 02:10:07 PM
See, I don't think most pro-ConfedFlag people make that connection. 

I'm with you guys in that I'd prefer the flag to be removed in state capitols where it flies, but I don't live there so I don't really get a vote either way.

In Texas this conversation is just never had and we have never gotten to vote on it. It would be very divisive and embarrassing so best to hope it goes away on its own and very quietly stop using it. The original Six Flags had a big 'Confederate' section that just kind of went away for example.

Now I cannot speak for the other former confederate states but this is my impression of how it goes over there as well. Granted some of the states had the misfortune to be stuck with St. Andrew's Cross flags on their state flags.

QuoteI would support removing it because I don't like the symbol.  I just don't think doing so would have any real impact.

Well I disagree. When I was a kid the flag was all over the place. Now it is almost entirely gone. The impact seems very significant to me.

The perception of the flag has totally changed. When I was a kid it was everywhere. I'm sure people in the North and maybe parts of minority groups associated it with racism, but I don't think many people did. Going through a old high school yearbook, there was a picture of several black students playing cards with a confederate themed deck. No one thought anything of it.

That has totally stopped. A guy walked into my gym with a confederate flag shirt and I was like, "whoa, wtf" but 20 years ago no one would have batted an eye.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

The Brain

Quote from: Berkut on June 22, 2015, 01:57:35 PM
Quote from: Valmy on June 22, 2015, 01:53:44 PM
Quote from: derspiess on June 22, 2015, 01:40:21 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on June 22, 2015, 01:34:27 PM
If racism isn't officially sanctioned then one would hope one would see a reduction of racism over time.  I seem to have more faith in your countrymen than you do. :P

I disagree with your assumption that flying or displaying the flag = officially sanctioning racism. 

The flag was proudly used as a symbol of the Lost Cause Redemption South that enforced Jim Crow, among other things, for over 100 years. They officially endorsed this flag as a symbol of the South's specific practices over and over again. If it is officially sanctioning racism it is only because it was officially used this way on a continual basis.

Individuals may not be displaying the flag for that purpose.  But it was officially used by state governments in the south to make a very specific statement. That legacy needs to be rejected, and for the most part, it has been.

It is like someone going on about how a swastika can mean something other than Nazi's. Yeah, sure, it *can* in fact mean something else.

But we all know what it actually does mean.

Finnish armed forces?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Brain

In Sweden the flag is used by some rural folk who drive 1950/60s American cars.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: alfred russel on June 22, 2015, 10:34:57 PM
Quote from: Valmy on June 22, 2015, 02:17:23 PM
Quote from: derspiess on June 22, 2015, 02:10:07 PM
See, I don't think most pro-ConfedFlag people make that connection. 

I'm with you guys in that I'd prefer the flag to be removed in state capitols where it flies, but I don't live there so I don't really get a vote either way.

In Texas this conversation is just never had and we have never gotten to vote on it. It would be very divisive and embarrassing so best to hope it goes away on its own and very quietly stop using it. The original Six Flags had a big 'Confederate' section that just kind of went away for example.

Now I cannot speak for the other former confederate states but this is my impression of how it goes over there as well. Granted some of the states had the misfortune to be stuck with St. Andrew's Cross flags on their state flags.

QuoteI would support removing it because I don't like the symbol.  I just don't think doing so would have any real impact.

Well I disagree. When I was a kid the flag was all over the place. Now it is almost entirely gone. The impact seems very significant to me.

The perception of the flag has totally changed. When I was a kid it was everywhere. I'm sure people in the North and maybe parts of minority groups associated it with racism, but I don't think many people did. Going through a old high school yearbook, there was a picture of several black students playing cards with a confederate themed deck. No one thought anything of it.

That has totally stopped. A guy walked into my gym with a confederate flag shirt and I was like, "whoa, wtf" but 20 years ago no one would have batted an eye.
What do you attribute the change to?

Also, to all you other Southern folks on Languish, do you think Dorsey's anecdote is representative? 
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 23, 2015, 04:07:15 AM

Also, to all you other Southern folks on Languish, do you think Dorsey's anecdote is representative? 

Yes. Again it was everywhere before.

I think a huge factor has been the GI generation dying off. They were the ones whose Grandfathers were all Confederate vets. Back when they were still alive we couldn't be too mean about the Confederacy.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Berkut

Quote from: Valmy on June 23, 2015, 08:03:36 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 23, 2015, 04:07:15 AM

Yes. Again it was everywhere before.

The assumption here seems to be that since it was much more prevalent it wasn't really about racism.

There was something else much more prevalent in the South at that time as well - segregation.

I suggest that it being more prevalent is not evidence that the flag is not about racism, but rather exactly the opposite.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Ed Anger

I guess I won't be buying my confederate themed party supplies at Wally World anymore.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Valmy

In the 1980s? We still had school busing back then. I actually think segregation is more of a thing today than it was then.

QuoteI suggest that it being more prevalent is not evidence that the flag is not about racism, but rather exactly the opposite.

I don't think its prevalence means it wasn't about racism. I don't think we were suggesting that. It was prevalent because it always had been and it slowly and quietly went away. You can see why those carrying a flame for the flag are now starting to get more shrill. As far as I am concerned the only place I ever want to see a St. Andrew's cross Confederate Flag again is in a museum with other old relics.

Valmy

Quote from: Ed Anger on June 23, 2015, 08:51:35 AM
I guess I won't be buying my confederate themed party supplies at Wally World anymore.

General Lee's birthday just won't be the same. :(