Massacre at historic African American Church in Charleston

Started by jimmy olsen, June 18, 2015, 12:10:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: Berkut on June 22, 2015, 01:38:03 PM
I think you are wrong.

You usually do :hug:

QuoteAnd I think any possible other step I could contemplate will be dismissed out of hand just like this one was,

Not at all, man.  Go ahead.  Let's talk it over.  Together we can fix racism.

Quoteand just like people once dismissed the silly notion that making black people drink from different fountains could reduce racism.

Or sit at the back of the bus AMIRIGHT?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: Berkut on June 22, 2015, 01:41:19 PM
How about we address what we can now, see how that plays out, then proceed?

Wouldn't bother me any, but it's not my call.  I don't live in a state where that stupid flag flies on state property.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: derspiess on June 22, 2015, 01:40:21 PM
I disagree with your assumption that flying or displaying the flag = officially sanctioning racism.

It is an official expression of approval of, or identification with, a government founded on the principle of maintaining and protecting the institution of slavery. 
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 22, 2015, 01:34:27 PM
If racism isn't officially sanctioned then one would hope one would see a reduction of racism over time.  I seem to have more faith in your countrymen than you do. :P

I disagree with your assumption that flying or displaying the flag = officially sanctioning racism. 

The flag was proudly used as a symbol of the Lost Cause Redemption South that enforced Jim Crow, among other things, for over 100 years. They officially endorsed this flag as a symbol of the South's specific practices over and over again. If it is officially sanctioning racism it is only because it was officially used this way on a continual basis.

Individuals may not be displaying the flag for that purpose.  But it was officially used by state governments in the south to make a very specific statement. That legacy needs to be rejected by these state governments, and for the most part, it has been.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Berkut

Quote from: derspiess on June 22, 2015, 01:42:53 PM
Quote from: Berkut on June 22, 2015, 01:38:03 PM
I think you are wrong.

You usually do :hug:

QuoteAnd I think any possible other step I could contemplate will be dismissed out of hand just like this one was,

Not at all, man.  Go ahead.  Let's talk it over.  Together we can fix racism.

If you dismiss this out of hand, even though you claim that you actually would support it's removal, I can't imagine any suggestion that you would approve of...

It almost makes your claim you don't approve it look rather odd. You would support removing it, and yet you insist that it cannot make any difference and attack the suggestion that it be removed. Very weird.

Quoteand just like people once dismissed the silly notion that making black people drink from different fountains could reduce racism.

Or sit at the back of the bus AMIRIGHT?

Indeed.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Berkut

Quote from: Valmy on June 22, 2015, 01:53:44 PM
If racism isn't officially sanctioned then one would hope one would see a reduction of racism over time.  I seem to have more faith in your countrymen than you do. :P

The flag was proudly used as a symbol of the Lost Cause Redemption South that enforced Jim Crow, among other things, for over 100 years. They officially endorsed this flag as a symbol of the South's specific practices over and over again. If it is officially sanctioning racism it is only because it was officially used this way on a continual basis.

Individuals may not be displaying the flag for that purpose.  But it was officially used by state governments in the south to make a very specific statement. That legacy needs to be rejected, and for the most part, it has been.

It is like someone going on about how a swastika can mean something other than Nazi's. Yeah, sure, it *can* in fact mean something else.

But we all know what it actually does mean.

0 rows returned

derspiess

Individuals may not be displaying the flag for that purpose.  But it was officially used by state governments in the south to make a very specific statement.

See, I don't think most pro-ConfedFlag people make that connection. 

I'm with you guys in that I'd prefer the flag to be removed in state capitols where it flies, but I don't live there so I don't really get a vote either way.

derspiess

Quote from: Berkut on June 22, 2015, 01:56:02 PM
If you dismiss this out of hand, even though you claim that you actually would support it's removal, I can't imagine any suggestion that you would approve of...

Admit it, you just don't have anything.  Pretend I'm not here and tell everyone else what ideas you have.

QuoteIt almost makes your claim you don't approve it look rather odd. You would support removing it, and yet you insist that it cannot make any difference and attack the suggestion that it be removed. Very weird.

I would support removing it because I don't like the symbol.  I just don't think doing so would have any real impact.

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on June 22, 2015, 02:10:07 PM

I'm with you guys in that I'd prefer the flag to be removed in state capitols where it flies, but I don't live there so I don't really get a vote either way.

In Texas this conversation is just never had and we have never gotten to vote on it. It would be very divisive and embarrassing so best to hope it goes away on its own and very quietly stop using it. The original Six Flags had a big 'Confederate' section that just kind of went away for example.

Now I cannot speak for the other former confederate states but this is my impression of how it goes over there as well. Granted some of the states had the misfortune to be stuck with St. Andrew's Cross flags on their state flags.

QuoteI would support removing it because I don't like the symbol.  I just don't think doing so would have any real impact.

Well I disagree. When I was a kid the flag was all over the place. Now it is almost entirely gone. The impact seems very significant to me.

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on June 22, 2015, 02:17:23 PM
Well I disagree. When I was a kid the flag was all over the place. Now it is almost entirely gone. The impact seems very significant to me.

Up in this area it seems fairly constant from what I saw as a kid.  I've lived in or very close to a border state all my life and it seems like it's a symbol some are clinging to.  I would have hoped it would die out in the border areas before anywhere else.

Most bizarre example I experienced was an ROTC buddy from Maryland who had significant Jewish (50%) and Filipino (25%) heritage but had the flag on a bumper sticker in his truck and loved him some country music.  I guess the redneck gene won out somehow.

crazy canuck

Quote from: derspiess on June 22, 2015, 02:10:07 PM
Individuals may not be displaying the flag for that purpose.  But it was officially used by state governments in the south to make a very specific statement.

They may not.  But that is the thing about symbols - they can have a significant impact on people whether they are consciously aware of the impact or not.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Berkut on June 22, 2015, 01:57:35 PM

Individuals may not be displaying the flag for that purpose.  But it was officially used by state governments in the south to make a very specific statement. That legacy needs to be rejected, and for the most part, it has been.

It is like someone going on about how a swastika can mean something other than Nazi's. Yeah, sure, it *can* in fact mean something else.

But we all know what it actually does mean.
Buddhism?

I see temples with it all the time.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

Nikki Haley, with Graham and Scott by her side have called for the flag to be taken down! :o

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/nation-world/national/article25169761.html
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

derspiess

Berkut

0 rows returned