[board] The Battlestar Galactica Languish Project

Started by Tamas, June 18, 2009, 09:29:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Martinus

Quote from: Berkut on June 26, 2009, 12:10:22 PM
To be honest, the best time for me is in fact work hours - once I am out of work, I am not really around till pretty late, after the kids go to sleep, and often not even then.

1600 Zulu is 1pm EST, right? I am mostly (90% of the time) around at that time, barring the occasional lunch out of the office, which I only do once a week now.

So anyway...yeah.

OK, back IC:

I think it would be great to get a peak at someones card - if grumbler looks at mine, then that is almost as good as me looking at his, since then I will know if he is a Cylon by his response. Maybe.

However, I don't think I get cards of that color, so I probably won't be any help at all.
Actually, I think Starbuck's announcement about any Cylons or non-Cylons she finds will be pretty much useless to you and the rest.

Why?

Because no matter what she is and what her target is, it pays off to say that her target is not a Cylon - either to confuse the target, or everybody else or both. ;)

grumbler

Quote from: Tamas on June 26, 2009, 12:17:49 PM
Alright folks, Berkut, garbon, and BB gave one card each, jacob won't, grumbler, marty?
I play no cards.  I think everyone knows I have no cards of this color, so even if I were a Cylon I wouldn't play!  :lol:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Martinus

Let me explain:

Assume she is a Cylon and you (her target) aren't. If she declares you a Cylon, then you know she is a Cylon. If she says you are not a Cylon, then she may cause you to trust her wrongly - and later when she is revealed as a Cylon, you will also be under suspicion (because a Cylon said you aren't one).

Assume she is not a Cylon and you (her target) are. If she declares you a Cylon, then you know she isn't a Cylon. And if she says you are not a Cylon, it may lead you to wrongly believe she is also a Cylon and make a mistake by leaving her alone - to later strike back at you.

If you are both Cylons, then obviously she won't say you are a Cylon.

And if you are both non-Cylons, then again she won't say you are one.

Ergo: game theory sez, no matter who she is and who you are, she will not say you are a Cylon, unless she is stupid.

Barrister

Quote from: grumbler on June 26, 2009, 11:57:00 AM
OOC: Well, so much for the idea of everyone getting online at 1600Z so we could whip through a turn or so!  :lol:

Anyone else have any ideas on how we can prevent this glacier from moving even more slowly?  Marti and Tamas, how late (Zulu time) can you commit to?  Maybe if we pick a time when Berkut and BB are not at work, this can move faster.  Sorry, garbon, but you might have to do it from work regardless.  You are same time zone as BB, correct?

Edit:  fixed mistake on BB's time.

I'm with Berkut - work is actually the best time for me.  I'm more an office dweller than anything else, so I can easily take 5 minutes to check languish.  The one exception is when I have to go to court, like today.  But even then I was only away from the computer a little over an hour (I love guilty pleas :cool:).
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Tamas

SKILL CHECK TIME!

FOR:
yellow: 2 pieces of consolidate power (1), and the same with value 2
green: executive order (1), and executive order (2)

AGAINST:
red: evasive maneuvers (1)

TOTAL: 6.

No effect, barely!

Barrister

Tamas

So with the investigation yielding no result, the basestar launches a heavy raider, and jump calculations progress.

Marty is up

grumbler

Quote from: Martinus on June 26, 2009, 12:33:55 PM
Let me explain:

Assume she is a Cylon and you (her target) aren't. If she declares you a Cylon, then you know she is a Cylon. If she says you are not a Cylon, then she may cause you to trust her wrongly - and later when she is revealed as a Cylon, you will also be under suspicion (because a Cylon said you aren't one).

Assume she is not a Cylon and you (her target) are. If she declares you a Cylon, then you know she isn't a Cylon. And if she says you are not a Cylon, it may lead you to wrongly believe she is also a Cylon and make a mistake by leaving her alone - to later strike back at you.

If you are both Cylons, then obviously she won't say you are a Cylon.

And if you are both non-Cylons, then again she won't say you are one.

Ergo: game theory sez, no matter who she is and who you are, she will not say you are a Cylon, unless she is stupid.
I can explain it better, and show how you are wrong.

If I am a Cylon, and Adama is a Cylon, then I won't denounce him. Chances of that are 1 in 37.

If I am not a Cylon, and he is, I will denounce him and people will choose to believe me or him.  Chances of this are 5 in 37.

If I am a Cylon and he is not, I will still denounce him and people will choose to believe me or him.  Chances of this are also 5 in 37.

In any case where I denounce him, suspicion is gonna be pretty strong, because I have acted in a non-Cylon fashion.

If neither of us are Cylons, I will announce that he is not.  Since there is no reason for me not to denounce him before we move (unless I am a Cylon), my clearing of him will be pretty convincing.

This would work even better if we had an Investigating Committee checking the results as I suggested (and as Apollo wanted to do every crisis check but this one), but could still be valuable if something like this comes up in future.

Games theory doesn't apply here, because Adama could do us severe damage as Admiral if he is a Cylon.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Berkut

The interesting part is that if he does denounce me, then people will know that at least one of us is a Cylon. Which is more information that the humans had before, and hence useful - so there is a chance that if Grumbler is a cylon, he won't say I am one even if I am not.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Martinus

But if he is a Cylon, then giving humans this information is not useful for him. So yeah I'm willing to agree that if you are a Cylon but he isn't, then it's the only situation when it may sense for him to denounce you as one.

Martinus

Anyway, I'm playing [1] Consolidate Power to draw two Purple cards.

Tamas

hello, how can I easily reduce the resolution of the crisis card so it gets below 128k and BB can see it?

And get hold of garbon we will need him, you'll see why once I upload the scan

Tamas

success with the size, but now upload folder is full :bleeding: we need an admin

Barrister