:rolleyes:

Admiral Yi

Jacob, you've completely lost me.

PDH

Quote from: Ed Anger on November 26, 2014, 10:44:47 PM
Quote from: PDH on November 26, 2014, 10:42:09 PM
Hi.  I like pancakes.

I'm a waffle man.

A good waffle iron is a wonder, but at the altitude I live at means that a fluffy pancake is great.

But enough of this, how about that Wyoming basketball team?
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Tonitrus

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 26, 2014, 10:44:58 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on November 26, 2014, 10:30:32 PM
:grr:

Don't you go a-screechin' boy.  :glare:

QuoteIf Person A doesn't want to work more than 40 hours a week, and Person B wants to work 60, and The Firm wants people to work infinity hours a week, Person B has a competitive advantage over Persona A, unless Person A hides his distaste and agrees to work 60 hours a week.  The labor supply of people willing to work 60 hours a week just doubled.  IT'S LIKE MAGIC.

I really have no idea how this relates to our discussion.
You asked how the labor supply increases, seems like a pretty basic explanation how that works.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

LaCroix

Quote from: alfred russel on November 26, 2014, 10:36:09 PM
Working nights and weekends puts people out of synch with the rest of society. Yes it is needed for some professions, and yes everyone is inconvenienced by not be able to do grocery shopping at 2 am on a Saturday night. The people that work those odd hours tend to be the more marginal workers, and this is a big burden for them when providing childcare, obtaining additional educational opportunities, etc.

what's "the rest of society"? for a 35 year old bartender who works five nights a week, those he associates with may not work steady 9-5 office jobs. and childcare and educational opportunities are difficult either way. that you prefer daytime hours doesn't mean everyone else prefers them, too. people choose to work graveyard shifts, so they know what they're getting into.

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 26, 2014, 10:53:43 PM
Jacob, you've completely lost me.

Okay, I'll simplify.

1) I don't have a problem with late openings, weekend work etc by itself.

2) I think the free-market-independent-bargainers philosophy you espouse (in this case, to support extended opening hours in Europe) is completely bunk, and that it produces undesirable outcomes.

alfred russel

Quote from: LaCroix on November 26, 2014, 11:06:53 PM
Working nights and weekends puts people out of synch with the rest of society. Yes it is needed for some professions, and yes everyone is inconvenienced by not be able to do grocery shopping at 2 am on a Saturday night. The people that work those odd hours tend to be the more marginal workers, and this is a big burden for them when providing childcare, obtaining additional educational opportunities, etc.

what's "the rest of society"? for a 35 year old bartender who works five nights a week, those he associates with may not work steady 9-5 office jobs. and childcare and educational opportunities are difficult either way. that you prefer daytime hours doesn't mean everyone else prefers them, too. people choose to work graveyard shifts, so they know what they're getting into.

Everyone gets a choice. The low skilled single mother working the occasional graveyard shift because it is the only job she can land may not have a practical choice, but at least she does theoretically?

FWIW, in Germany people do work graveyard shifts, and restaurants / bars are open nights and weekends. So even there your hypothetical person will still have a choice.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

LaCroix

Quote from: alfred russel on November 26, 2014, 11:12:10 PMEveryone gets a choice. The low skilled single mother working the occasional graveyard shift because it is the only job she can land may not have a practical choice, but at least she does theoretically?

a single mother whose only mcjob she can land is a graveyard shift, and there are absolutely no alternatives available for years on end? that's going to be an extreme scenario, and we shouldn't base laws on extreme scenarios.

sbr

Up to the point it starts creating unemployment or serious adverse economic impacts, I support the German system (though obviously living in the US system works better for someone like me that has a normal hour job anyway).

What the hell does that mean?

Tonitrus

It means that he thinks he is better than us.  Time for him to go to the wall.  :menace:

Jacob

Quote from: sbr on November 27, 2014, 12:20:34 AM

Up to the point it starts creating unemployment or serious adverse economic impacts, I support the German system (though obviously living in the US system works better for someone like me that has a normal hour job anyway).

What the hell does that mean?

I think what AR means is that people who work the shittiest shifts are often the ones who are already having a shitty time of it. They are not taking those jobs because they prefer the timeframe or get better pay, but because they are desperate (i.e. they don't have another choice); furthermore, AR posits that the impact of the shitty shifts is harder on them because of they lack of various resources.

LaCroix

Quote from: Jacob on November 27, 2014, 12:28:08 AMI think what AR means is that people who work the shittiest shifts are often the ones who are already having a shitty time of it. They are not taking those jobs because they prefer the timeframe or get better pay, but because they are desperate (i.e. they don't have another choice); furthermore, AR posits that the impact of the shitty shifts is harder on them because of they lack of various resources.

having worked graveyard shifts in the past, i don't think this holds true for the majority.

Jacob

Quote from: LaCroix on November 27, 2014, 12:45:22 AMhaving worked graveyard shifts in the past, i don't think this holds true for the majority.

I have no opinion on that.