News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Labor Pains Megathread

Started by Tamas, November 26, 2014, 10:58:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

One thing you Brits are smart about is that several (I think) of your holidays are moving holidays so that they always happen on Monday or some such, which is very convenient. Here because a specific date is "magical" for some obscure religious or patriotic reason, they often happen on Sundays.

Edit: And specifically, Easter Sunday and Pentecost *always* happen on Sunday. So, especially with Pentecost (which is not widely celebrated unless you are a really devout Catholic), it's an "Ambush Holiday" when you go shopping and realise everything is closed...

Sheilbh

Quote from: Martinus on November 27, 2014, 01:47:20 PM
One thing you Brits are smart about is that several (I think) of your holidays are moving holidays so that they always happen on Monday or some such, which is very convenient. Here because a specific date is "magical" for some obscure religious or patriotic reason, they often happen on Sundays.
Yeah. I think it's a sensible system. So much better than situations where you lose the day because it's already on a Sunday or it's on, say Wednesday.

It only really affects Christmas though and if it's on a weekend then we move it to the next two days and take them off instead. All our other bank holidays are on Mondays. With the exception of Easter and Christmas I don't even know why we have them. They're not identified as religious or national, so the bank holiday at the end of August is called 'August bank holiday' :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Jacob

BC recently added another statutory holiday (as we call them over here) and the justification was pretty much "we need a stat holiday in February, since we have one in every other month."

I think it's a straight up quality of life thing. Long weekends are great.

HVC

Quote from: Jacob on November 27, 2014, 02:24:23 PM
BC recently added another statutory holiday (as we call them over here) and the justification was pretty much "we need a stat holiday in February, since we have one in every other month."

I think it's a straight up quality of life thing. Long weekends are great.
we in Ontario got family day too, but we just lost a floating day, rather than gaming another stat holiday
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Tonitrus

Quote from: garbon on November 27, 2014, 07:05:17 AM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on November 27, 2014, 07:03:29 AM
German cities do start early, with public transportation starting from 04.30 sometimes. In addition to night services running during the night but not as regular of course.

24/7 subway! :punk:

We have all this talk about driverless cars, but we cannot even make driverless subways/trains.  :P

DGuller

Quote from: Tonitrus on November 27, 2014, 02:54:36 PM
Quote from: garbon on November 27, 2014, 07:05:17 AM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on November 27, 2014, 07:03:29 AM
German cities do start early, with public transportation starting from 04.30 sometimes. In addition to night services running during the night but not as regular of course.

24/7 subway! :punk:

We have all this talk about driverless cars, but we cannot even make driverless subways/trains.  :P
We can, just not in NYC.  The system is too antiquated and hodgepodge, and the unions are too strong.

Jacob

The Skytrain in Vancouver is driverless.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Jacob on November 27, 2014, 04:08:58 PM

Great now Seedy is going to accuse us of riding unicorns and having gold at end of rainbows again.

Tonitrus

Think of all those poor, potentially employable union train drivers.  :mad:

Jacob

Quote from: Tonitrus on November 27, 2014, 04:53:37 PM
Think of all those poor, potentially employable union train drivers.  :mad:

The bus part of BC Transit are continuously looking to hire drivers according to the advertising, so hopefully they can find a job there.

Tonitrus

Jacob

Quote from: Tonitrus on November 27, 2014, 05:53:47 PM
Buses are for plebs.  :glare:

1) Take your classist BS and shove it.

2) Bus drivers, and train drivers, are plebs.

crazy canuck

I havent been called that in a very long time.  Thank you :wub:

Tonitrus

Quote from: Jacob on November 27, 2014, 05:55:10 PM

1) Take your classist BS and shove it.

2) Bus drivers, and train drivers, are plebs.

We are all plebs.  :P

Sheilbh

Quote from: Jacob on November 27, 2014, 04:08:58 PM

So's the Metro in Athens. Or anywhere modern.

Sadly London's Tube was mostly built 150 years ago which makes for some practical difficulties with driverless trains.
Let's bomb Russia!