News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Labor Pains Megathread

Started by Tamas, November 26, 2014, 10:58:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

A shit job is a shit job, but there can be benefits for working off-hours. For pizza delivery drivers, the guy working in the daytime usually gets fewer deliveries & smaller tips and may get tasked with food preparation duties that give no tips. For office security guards, during the day you have workers coming in and out constantly and feel the need to look busy. At night, just sit there and read your book.  :D Also, people working nights/weekends tend to have less traffic on their way to work.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

LaCroix

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 27, 2014, 01:07:28 AM
A shit job is a shit job, but there can be benefits for working off-hours. For pizza delivery drivers, the guy working in the daytime usually gets fewer deliveries & smaller tips and may get tasked with food preparation duties that give no tips. For office security guards, during the day you have workers coming in and out constantly and feel the need to look busy. At night, just sit there and read your book.  :D Also, people working nights/weekends tend to have less traffic on their way to work.

exactly. there are so many benefits that people might not realize. it's not for everyone, but lots of things in life aren't for everyone.

there's this attitude that just because it's different then that automatically means poor dreadful souls who are so lowly and desperate for work are forced into a miserable life of graveyard shifts, because why would anyone choose otherwise. i mean, fuck, get off the ivory tower.  :P

Tamas

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 26, 2014, 04:58:28 PM
Ultimately consumers aren't the only people in the world who matter.

Who are there beside consumers?

Tamas

Quote from: LaCroix on November 27, 2014, 12:45:22 AM
Quote from: Jacob on November 27, 2014, 12:28:08 AMI think what AR means is that people who work the shittiest shifts are often the ones who are already having a shitty time of it. They are not taking those jobs because they prefer the timeframe or get better pay, but because they are desperate (i.e. they don't have another choice); furthermore, AR posits that the impact of the shitty shifts is harder on them because of they lack of various resources.

having worked graveyard shifts in the past, i don't think this holds true for the majority.

I loved nighshifts, for a while. And in my previous job I knew guys who had double the skill required to move out of the multiple-shift model and be regular office hours IT guys. They didn't, because they enjoyed that setup.

garbon

You know what is not a fun time? Streets of New York at 5am. All the drunk kids are in bed and the city is a ghost town. :cry:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

I love being out then. There's something about cities slowly coming awake between 4 and 6 am.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

garbon

Oh well this city doesn't come awake during that time period. It went to sleep at 4. :D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: garbon on November 27, 2014, 06:59:53 AM
Oh well this city doesn't come awake during that time period. It went to sleep at 4. :D

Today being a holiday probably had something to do with that though.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Duque de Bragança

German cities do start early, with public transportation starting from 04.30 sometimes. In addition to night services running during the night but not as regular of course.

garbon

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on November 27, 2014, 07:03:29 AM
German cities do start early, with public transportation starting from 04.30 sometimes. In addition to night services running during the night but not as regular of course.

24/7 subway! :punk:

frunk

Quote from: garbon on November 27, 2014, 05:50:08 AM
You know what is not a fun time? Streets of New York at 5am. All the drunk kids are in bed and the city is a ghost town. :cry:

I love the quiet in NYC at that time.  It's like the whole city is taking a breather before the start of the next day.

Tamas

Ideologue

Quote from: garbon on November 27, 2014, 05:50:08 AM

You just got Vanilla Skied. :o
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

alfred russel

Quote from: LaCroix on November 27, 2014, 12:45:22 AM
Quote from: Jacob on November 27, 2014, 12:28:08 AMI think what AR means is that people who work the shittiest shifts are often the ones who are already having a shitty time of it. They are not taking those jobs because they prefer the timeframe or get better pay, but because they are desperate (i.e. they don't have another choice); furthermore, AR posits that the impact of the shitty shifts is harder on them because of they lack of various resources.

having worked graveyard shifts in the past, i don't think this holds true for the majority.

I would be stunned if the people working graveyard shifts don't make less than the average worker. The examples you guys are tossing out: delivery driver, restaurant/bar worker, security guards, are generally low wage fairly unskilled work.

I also get the benefits. When I first came home from college and was told to get a job, the job I got was a graveyard shift at a convenience store/gas station because that seemed like a slack job of reading magazines and helping a couple customers an hour. So that works out okay for a single unattached guy on a short term basis. But there were also people working that job that had children.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Tamas

I am pretty sure whatever job you are doing during nightshift, you are earning at least as much as if you were doing it during the day, maybe more.

And lets not forget, int his flurry of condescending, that if somebody works in the night shift, it means some other guy is working the day. Cut away the graveyard shift and you just closed a job. But hey, at least don't HAVE to stay up late when you are unemployed!