News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 26, 2014, 06:16:53 AM
Really? They point this out to perspective students and their parents? That's going to make parents want to send their daughters there?

Well, as long as they cover up the rapes and similar, I guess they figure it's okay. Apparently the University of Virginia are having a few issues right now:

Quote from: From the article that kicked off the current controversyEventually, UVA furnished Rolling Stone with some of its most recent tally: In the last academic year, 38 students went to Eramo about a sexual assault, up from about 20 students three years ago. However, of those 38, only nine resulted in "complaints"; the other 29 students evaporated. Of those nine complaints, four resulted in Sexual Misconduct Board hearings. UVA wasn't willing to disclose their outcomes, citing privacy. Like most colleges, sexual-assault proceedings at UVA unfold in total secrecy. Asked why UVA doesn't publish all its data, President Sullivan explains that it might not be in keeping with "best practices" and thus may inadvertently discourage reporting. Jackie got a different explanation when she'd eventually asked Dean Eramo the same question. She says Eramo answered wryly, "Because nobody wants to send their daughter to the rape school."

http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/features/a-rape-on-campus-20141119

The follow up article here: http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/news/rape-at-uva-readers-say-jackie-wasnt-alone-20141121

MadImmortalMan

Apparently, they're all rape schools though.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

chipwich

Who was Dorsey WRT Dorsey4heisman?

mongers

Quote from: chipwich on November 27, 2014, 07:23:17 PM
Who was Dorsey WRT Dorsey4heisman?

Turns out to have been this Russian guy called Dgueller or something similar.

By the way Chipwich, good day to you. :cheers:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

chipwich

I mean the actual football player

mongers

Quote from: chipwich on November 27, 2014, 07:28:08 PM

Not only is a champion motor sports man, but now you tell me he's a pro-footballer, is there nothing that guy can't do, save swallowing small fruits.  :cool:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

chipwich

Quote from: mongers on November 27, 2014, 07:30:30 PM
Quote from: chipwich on November 27, 2014, 07:28:08 PM

Not only is a champion motor sports man, but now you tell me he's a pro-footballer, is there nothing that guy can't do, save swallowing small fruits.  :cool:

Good day to you too by the way.

Eddie Teach

Ken Dorsey, I think he was a quarterback at the University of Miami 15 years ago?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ed Anger

Dorsey was slayed by the Krenzel.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Eddie Teach

I looked him up. He had an illustrious NFL career, with no less than 8 touchdown passes.  :cool:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Syt

Vienna's vineyards are safe!

There was increased pressure on winemakers to sell their estates on the outskirts. Speculators would buy a vineyard in the picturesque hills and let it lay fallow, hoping for it to become rezoned into residential areas. The city, with support from all parties and wide support by the winemakers have now stipulated that if you buy a vineyard you have to grow wine there. Additionally, they wiped all plans of changing agricultural lands into residential zones off the table.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

PRC

Barrister

Quote from: PRC on November 28, 2014, 11:29:44 AM
Star Wars Episode VII - The Force Awakens teaser trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMOVFvcNfvE&feature=share

You know, I know the saying is fool my once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me, so I really ought to know better, but there's about a zero percent chance I don't rush out to go see this movie when it is released...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.