News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

In space, no one can hear you nagging

Started by Ed Anger, November 14, 2014, 11:18:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brazen

I think the biggest thing preventing women getting into STEM is that marrying a celebrity or showing your enormous arse on a magazine cover is passed off as an acceptable way to make a fast buck rather than learning hard sums.

Eddie Teach

I think by college most women realize they're not gonna be paid to pose for magazine covers.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Brazen

Indian Space Research Organisation staff celebrating putting a satellite in orbit around Mars back in September:

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Ed Anger

Not pictured: they were all raped and left for dead afterwards
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Barrister

Quote from: Martinus on November 18, 2014, 01:09:02 AM
The thing is, if anyone could/should be offended by this, it is only the woken this guy works with. Period. If they aren't the case is closed.

The most pathetic: a bunch of guys on the internet who get offended on behalf of bunch of imaginary women. Especially if you (as is the case with everybody in this thread) will never achieve in your life what this guy has already accomplished, professionally.

Uh, the women I know - my wife, mother, niece, friends and colleagues, are hardly imaginary.  And as I said, I don't think this is worth over-reacting to, but that doesn't mean it can or should pass by without comment.

Plus I'm not sure how you compare achievements between law and rocket science, but I'm professionally pretty accomplished for this stage in my career, and I have no problem giving my $0.02.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Syt

Quote from: Ed Anger on November 18, 2014, 10:26:42 AM

Not true. Some of them died from infections during a mass sterilization.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Martinus

Sorry but no you aren't. You are a prosecutor in Bumfuck, Canada. For the record, neither am I. This guy has accomplished something spectacular for the very first time in human history. Neither you or I have.

Martinus

Quote from: Ed Anger on November 18, 2014, 10:26:42 AM

garbon will be soon here to explain how they probably knew the perp before so it's alright and they are really at fault. ;)

Ed Anger

Quote from: Martinus on November 18, 2014, 10:43:36 AM
Sorry but no you aren't. You are a prosecutor in Bumfuck, Canada. For the record, neither am I. This guy has accomplished something spectacular for the very first time in human history. Neither you or I have.

I once ate 20 bowls of chili on a dare. ME= BETTER THAN YOU
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Brazen

Totally unoffended by the shirt. Completely offended by this thread.

Martinus

Barrister

Not anylonger. :)

And this guy hardly did it by himself.  Why, in fact, he's just a civil servant (working for ESA) just like me.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Martinus

Quote from: Barrister on November 18, 2014, 10:53:31 AM

Not anylonger. :)

And this guy hardly did it by himself.  Why, in fact, he's just a civil servant (working for ESA) just like me.

Doesnt matter. You are a Salieri. This guy is a Mozart.

Sheilbh

So? I'd also tell Mozart he looks fucking ridiculous and is making us all a little uncomfortable.
Let's bomb Russia!