And we're back!

Main Menu

In space, no one can hear you nagging

Started by Ed Anger, November 14, 2014, 11:18:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: grumbler on November 17, 2014, 01:26:41 PM
Quote from: Berkut on November 17, 2014, 12:59:47 PM
There is poor fashion sense (I have none at all, myself) and there is being basically self aware enough to realize that wearing something that is obviously going to offend some people and/or make some people feel uncomfortable is just stupid.

This isn't about fashion sense, it is about having a basic amount of empathy for other human beings who have to work with you.

The problem is that these guys, by and large, don't have what you are looking for.  i used to work with a whole lotta scientists at the Johns Hopkins Applied Physics lab when I was in the submarine security business, and they, to a man (or woman) didn't have the basic empathy to wear the kinds of clothing that computer programmers or accountants wore.  One guy wore sandals, every day, rain or shine or snow (he wore those Japanese socks with the separate toes when he had to wear his sandals in the snow) - no basic empathy at all.  One mathematician wore the same ratty cardigan he has worn every day for a decade or more.  One was, frankly, a little too lax about showering.  Their brains just weren't wired right for working out which tie goes with which shirt, and they took some pride in their eccentricities, when they thought about them at all (which likely wasn't often).  If forced to wear a shirt and tie, they'd likely wear a striped shirt with a polka-dotted tie and never understand how un-empathic that really was.

That's why they have management.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ed Anger

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 17, 2014, 01:09:19 PM
Quote from: Berkut on November 17, 2014, 12:59:47 PM
This isn't about fashion sense, it is about having a basic amount of empathy for other human beings who have to work with you.

But they're only women, B.  If they don't like it, then something-something whore pills, make me a sammich, etc.

CORRECT
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Berkut

Quote from: Savonarola on November 17, 2014, 01:43:58 PM
Quote from: Valmy on November 16, 2014, 10:39:31 PM
This is also not the first time that I have seen this thrown about by the way.  I have seen articles claiming that in STEM women face 'rape and sexual harassment' on a 'daily basis'. 

The rape conference room here is already booked solid until the end of the year.  :(

QuoteThe reason that we do not have more women in STEM is basically because we are monsters at a rate that vastly exceeds men in every other field.

A more valid criticism, based on my own professional and academic experience, is that engineering (and especially electrical engineering) is so heavily male-dominated that a successful female engineer will have to be okay with being "One of the guys."  Another is that a lot of engineers come from non-western cultures and may have some difficulties working with women.  Not every woman is going to be comfortable with both of those; and that probably stops some women from completing an engineering degree.

I mostly just figured it was because math was hard for girls.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

CountDeMoney

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

mongers

Special BBC 'Sky at Night' programme about the Rosetta mission; chocked full of Loud shirts and questionable style choices.   :cool:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b04pkvpq/the-sky-at-night-rosetta-a-sky-at-night-special
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Tonitrus

Quote from: Jacob on November 17, 2014, 05:08:45 PM
Quote from: Legbiter on November 17, 2014, 02:53:40 PMNext launch I want mission control looking like this.  ;)

All dudes using outdated equipment, displaying an American logo?

Outdated equipment that WENT TO THE FUCKING MOON (unlike nowadays).  :P

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on November 17, 2014, 04:17:13 PM
Isnt that essentially the same argument I was making few weeks ago about gay CEOs (only that I was presenting it not as a complaint but a statement of fact).

You dropped out of the CEO school to pursue the law?  :hmm:

Seriously though, I would offer the same argument to Sav that I offered you in that thread.  I see a good amount of female Electrical Engineers in my school and when I have been interviewing, and I have yet to see one who was "one of the guys".  Granted this is my anecdotal experience but that is what Sav was offering :P

But these tend to be younger people.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Jacob

Quote from: Tonitrus on November 17, 2014, 09:51:40 PM
Outdated equipment that WENT TO THE FUCKING MOON (unlike nowadays).  :P

It would've been pretty embarrassing if Rosetta and Philae went to the moon.

Martinus

The thing is, if anyone could/should be offended by this, it is only the woken this guy works with. Period. If they aren't the case is closed.

The most pathetic: a bunch of guys on the internet who get offended on behalf of bunch of imaginary women. Especially if you (as is the case with everybody in this thread) will never achieve in your life what this guy has already accomplished, professionally.

Martinus

I think the last thing is crucial to the argument those of us who were talking about "absent minded scientists" were making. This guy is not some poor sod who are dime a dozen and does some job for his company and ends up on tv to report they had record sales or they saved a drowing cat or something.

This is a member of a team that achieved a spectacular scientific achievement. And given that he was tasked with talking to tv I assume he is not their coffee boy.

So people who contributed to humanity infinitely less than this guy (and this situation is unlikely to change until they die) lambasting him about proper behaviour or not wearing a shirt and a tie are pathetic.

CountDeMoney

Fuck you, you filthy fucking AIDS magnet*.  Go to court next time with your wine glasses in a fucking moo-moo and let us know what happens.

*Apologies to garbon, Shiv and the rest of the much nicer LGBT community.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Martinus on November 18, 2014, 01:19:43 AM
So people who contributed to humanity infinitely less than this guy

Let's not be getting ahead of ourselves. While it's very cool, landing a probe on a comet is unlikely to have that much practical impact on human life.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Martinus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 18, 2014, 01:54:04 AM
Fuck you, you filthy fucking AIDS magnet*.  Go to court next time with your wine glasses in a fucking moo-moo and let us know what happens.

*Apologies to garbon, Shiv and the rest of the much nicer LGBT community.

I avoided going after specific people but since you started then yes: guy in the BDSM shirt >>>> you. :contract:

CountDeMoney

That may be, but at least I'm dressed appropriately.  Now go impale yourself on diseased penis meat.