In space, no one can hear you nagging

Started by Ed Anger, November 14, 2014, 11:18:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Admiral Yi

Voice recognition software is getting pretty good.

mongers

Any minute now, Seigy will don a wildly inappropriate shirt.  :cool:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Siege

Siege

grumbler

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 16, 2014, 08:20:23 PM
Quote from: grumbler on November 16, 2014, 07:44:57 PM
Has this story really passed so far from fact that now the "truth" is that there were naked women on the shirt?  I mean, wasn't the whole point that people saw the shirt?  It didn't have naked women on it, everyone knows it, so why are people now arguing that the problem was that the shirt was "the one with the naked women?"  Everyone knows it's a lie when they argue that, so why continue to utter the lie?  Lack of intellectual integrity?  Laziness? Love of bullshit rhetoric?  All of the above?

You have sunk to a new low of torturing a definition to make a pedantic argument.

The "I'm rubber, you're glue" argument hasn't worked since kindergarten.  Are you arguing now that "naked women" is just another word for "women" (in which case, that's the tortured definition, for sure) or that your use of the lie "naked" is meaningless, in which case you are making the pedantic argument.

The shirt was certainly not in good taste in anyone's mind except maybe for the guy and his friend, but the dishonest rhetoric of referring to it as "the one with the naked women" is more reprehensible than a tacky shirt.

Please, respond with another one of your lame ad homs.  You haven't made an ad hom attack on me in three or four days, and I miss the laugh they provide.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Malthus

"When the wise man points at the moon, the imbecile examines his finger."--Confucius

;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

derspiess

So is it just uptight, repressed Americans that are deeply offended by the dude's shirt, or are enlightened Euros also offended?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Berkut

I don't think anyone on Languish is offended, it would be women who would potentially be offended.

Mostly we just think the guy is kind of an asshole for wearing something like that to work.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

dps

Quote from: Berkut on November 17, 2014, 12:09:21 PM
I don't think anyone on Languish is offended, it would be women who would potentially be offended.

Mostly we just think the guy is kind of an asshole for wearing something like that to work.

The thing is, some people are basically lambasting the guy for poor fashion sense, and acting like having good taste in clothing is part of the job of being a researcher.

CountDeMoney

I guess in this age of video blogging, Instagram, sending Snapchat shots of your nutsack to LinkedIn and whatnot, the concept of wearing something professionally appropriate in representing yourself and your program for a televised interview is lost to the ages.  Que Sirhan Sirhan.

dps

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 17, 2014, 12:39:17 PM
I guess in this age of video blogging, Instagram, sending Snapchat shots of your nutsack to LinkedIn and whatnot, the concept of wearing something professionally appropriate in representing yourself and your program for a televised interview is lost to the ages.  Que Sirhan Sirhan.

Just to make myself clear, I'm not saying that the shirt was appropriate, just that given his position, there wasn't any reason for him to wear a suit.  Heck, that's so far from the professional requirements of his profession that he might not even own one.  A lab coat would have been fine. 

CountDeMoney

Oh, I think it's been well established in this thread that academics, researchers or other miscellaneous pencilnecks need not care about what they're wearing, since they have such more important thoughts to think.

Berkut

Quote from: dps on November 17, 2014, 12:32:33 PM
Quote from: Berkut on November 17, 2014, 12:09:21 PM

The thing is, some people are basically lambasting the guy for poor fashion sense, and acting like having good taste in clothing is part of the job of being a researcher.

There is poor fashion sense (I have none at all, myself) and there is being basically self aware enough to realize that wearing something that is obviously going to offend some people and/or make some people feel uncomfortable is just stupid.

This isn't about fashion sense, it is about having a basic amount of empathy for other human beings who have to work with you.

0 rows returned

Berkut

Quote from: dps on November 17, 2014, 12:51:27 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 17, 2014, 12:39:17 PM

Just to make myself clear, I'm not saying that the shirt was appropriate, just that given his position, there wasn't any reason for him to wear a suit.  Heck, that's so far from the professional requirements of his profession that he might not even own one.  A lab coat would have been fine. 

Oh, hell yeah. Fuck, a suit for him would just be telling people he is management, and not a scientist or engineer. That would be a bad idea.

0 rows returned