News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

In space, no one can hear you nagging

Started by Ed Anger, November 14, 2014, 11:18:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Savonarola on November 17, 2014, 01:43:58 PM
Another is that a lot of engineers come from non-western cultures and may have some difficulties working with women.  Not every woman is going to be comfortable with both of those; and that probably stops some women from completing an engineering degree.

Ain't that the truth.  Always had issues with that from a complaint perspective.

MadImmortalMan

He should be put on probation, recorded as a criminal and put on several advisory lists to make sure he'll always be poor and never contribute to society again. Even though he's a rocket scientist.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

garbon

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on November 17, 2014, 01:56:01 PM
He should be put on probation, recorded as a criminal and put on several advisory lists to make sure he'll always be poor and never contribute to society again. Even though he's a rocket scientist.

If that's what's needed to convince people that it is both form and substance that are important, I'm all for it.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Savonarola

In any event I'm disappointed that no one posted "So that's what happened to Rocky Horror." 
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Savonarola on November 17, 2014, 02:01:15 PM
In any event I'm disappointed that no one posted "So that's what happened to Rocky Horror."

Too old to be RH I think.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

The dude in the gold pants?  I don't see the connection.

Barrister

Quote from: Savonarola on November 17, 2014, 02:01:15 PM

:lol:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 17, 2014, 02:08:17 PM
The dude in the gold pants?  I don't see the connection.

You probably didn't get that far in the movie.

Legbiter

Quote from: Valmy on November 16, 2014, 10:39:31 PM
This is also not the first time that I have seen this thrown about by the way.  I have seen articles claiming that in STEM women face 'rape and sexual harassment' on a 'daily basis'.  The reason that we do not have more women in STEM is basically because we are monsters at a rate that vastly exceeds men in every other field.

Next launch I want mission control looking like this.  ;)

Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Legbiter

Quote from: grumbler on November 17, 2014, 01:26:41 PMThe problem is that these guys, by and large, don't have what you are looking for.  i used to work with a whole lotta scientists at the Johns Hopkins Applied Physics lab when I was in the submarine security business, and they, to a man (or woman) didn't have the basic empathy to wear the kinds of clothing that computer programmers or accountants wore.  One guy wore sandals, every day, rain or shine or snow (he wore those Japanese socks with the separate toes when he had to wear his sandals in the snow) - no basic empathy at all.  One mathematician wore the same ratty cardigan he has worn every day for a decade or more.  One was, frankly, a little too lax about showering.  Their brains just weren't wired right for working out which tie goes with which shirt, and they took some pride in their eccentricities, when they thought about them at all (which likely wasn't often).  If forced to wear a shirt and tie, they'd likely wear a striped shirt with a polka-dotted tie and never understand how un-empathic that really was.

This is spot on.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

garbon

Quote from: Legbiter on November 17, 2014, 02:53:40 PM
This is also not the first time that I have seen this thrown about by the way.  I have seen articles claiming that in STEM women face 'rape and sexual harassment' on a 'daily basis'.  The reason that we do not have more women in STEM is basically because we are monsters at a rate that vastly exceeds men in every other field.

Next launch I want mission control looking like this.  ;)

:D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

A guy with a hair plug concession could really clean up there.

Martinus

Quote from: Savonarola on November 17, 2014, 01:43:58 PM
This is also not the first time that I have seen this thrown about by the way.  I have seen articles claiming that in STEM women face 'rape and sexual harassment' on a 'daily basis'. 

The rape conference room here is already booked solid until the end of the year.  :(

QuoteThe reason that we do not have more women in STEM is basically because we are monsters at a rate that vastly exceeds men in every other field.

A more valid criticism, based on my own professional and academic experience, is that engineering (and especially electrical engineering) is so heavily male-dominated that a successful female engineer will have to be okay with being "One of the guys."  Another is that a lot of engineers come from non-western cultures and may have some difficulties working with women.  Not every woman is going to be comfortable with both of those; and that probably stops some women from completing an engineering degree.
Isnt that essentially the same argument I was making few weeks ago about gay CEOs (only that I was presenting it not as a complaint but a statement of fact).

Jacob

Quote from: Legbiter on November 17, 2014, 02:53:40 PMNext launch I want mission control looking like this.  ;)

All dudes using outdated equipment, displaying an American logo?