News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

In space, no one can hear you nagging

Started by Ed Anger, November 14, 2014, 11:18:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Savonarola

In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Berkut on November 17, 2014, 12:59:47 PM
This isn't about fashion sense, it is about having a basic amount of empathy for other human beings who have to work with you.

But they're only women, B.  If they don't like it, then something-something whore pills, make me a sammich, etc.

Barrister

Quote from: dps on November 17, 2014, 12:51:27 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 17, 2014, 12:39:17 PM
I guess in this age of video blogging, Instagram, sending Snapchat shots of your nutsack to LinkedIn and whatnot, the concept of wearing something professionally appropriate in representing yourself and your program for a televised interview is lost to the ages.  Que Sirhan Sirhan.

Just to make myself clear, I'm not saying that the shirt was appropriate, just that given his position, there wasn't any reason for him to wear a suit.  Heck, that's so far from the professional requirements of his profession that he might not even own one.  A lab coat would have been fine.

I went on record in page one as saying he should have worn a shirt and tie.

That's not the same as wearing a suit.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

MadImmortalMan

To most women and some guys, what you wear is a form of communication. So fashion sense and empathy are linked.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

grumbler

Quote from: Berkut on November 17, 2014, 12:59:47 PM
There is poor fashion sense (I have none at all, myself) and there is being basically self aware enough to realize that wearing something that is obviously going to offend some people and/or make some people feel uncomfortable is just stupid.

This isn't about fashion sense, it is about having a basic amount of empathy for other human beings who have to work with you.

The problem is that these guys, by and large, don't have what you are looking for.  i used to work with a whole lotta scientists at the Johns Hopkins Applied Physics lab when I was in the submarine security business, and they, to a man (or woman) didn't have the basic empathy to wear the kinds of clothing that computer programmers or accountants wore.  One guy wore sandals, every day, rain or shine or snow (he wore those Japanese socks with the separate toes when he had to wear his sandals in the snow) - no basic empathy at all.  One mathematician wore the same ratty cardigan he has worn every day for a decade or more.  One was, frankly, a little too lax about showering.  Their brains just weren't wired right for working out which tie goes with which shirt, and they took some pride in their eccentricities, when they thought about them at all (which likely wasn't often).  If forced to wear a shirt and tie, they'd likely wear a striped shirt with a polka-dotted tie and never understand how un-empathic that really was.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Barrister on November 17, 2014, 01:13:31 PM
A lab coat would have been fine.

See, somebody breaking out their Wernher Von Brauns from the Mercury program, now that's researcher chic.  Much more hip than Hawaiian shirts.  That's local news sports guy crap.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Berkut on November 17, 2014, 12:09:21 PMMostly we just think the guy is kind of an asshole for wearing something like that to work.
No, I don't. I think he was trying to make a nice gesture and a shout out by wearing this shirt that had been hand-made and customised by a good friend of his on the biggest day of his career and he didn't think/realise how other people would see it.

I feel sorry for him mostly.
Let's bomb Russia!

Barrister

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 17, 2014, 01:33:55 PM
Quote from: Berkut on November 17, 2014, 12:09:21 PMMostly we just think the guy is kind of an asshole for wearing something like that to work.
No, I don't. I think he was trying to make a nice gesture and a shout out by wearing this shirt that had been hand-made and customised by a good friend of his on the biggest day of his career and he didn't think/realise how other people would see it.

I feel sorry for him mostly.

Dude also had tat sleeves.

He deserves what he gets.

<_<

CountDeMoney

Quote from: grumbler on November 17, 2014, 01:26:41 PM
The problem is that these guys, by and large, don't have what you are looking for.  i used to work with a whole lotta scientists at the Johns Hopkins Applied Physics lab when I was in the submarine security business, and they, to a man (or woman) didn't have the basic empathy to wear the kinds of clothing that computer programmers or accountants wore.  One guy wore sandals, every day, rain or shine or snow (he wore those Japanese socks with the separate toes when he had to wear his sandals in the snow) - no basic empathy at all.  One mathematician wore the same ratty cardigan he has worn every day for a decade or more.  One was, frankly, a little too lax about showering.  Their brains just weren't wired right for working out which tie goes with which shirt, and they took some pride in their eccentricities, when they thought about them at all (which likely wasn't often).  If forced to wear a shirt and tie, they'd likely wear a striped shirt with a polka-dotted tie and never understand how un-empathic that really was.

You're absolutely right about that crowd.  I always enjoyed getting the calls about their access cards not working on lab doors;  they can sequence the shit out of a genome, but they can't try to turn the door knob. 

But Hawaiian shirt guy with the Tarantino grindhouse motif and hipster biker tats doesn't strike me as that kind of guy.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Barrister on November 17, 2014, 01:35:36 PM

<_<
Everyone's got a sleeve nowadays :console:
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Barrister

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 17, 2014, 01:40:27 PM
Quote from: Barrister on November 17, 2014, 01:35:36 PM

<_<
Everyone's got a sleeve nowadays :console:

The only people I know who have sleeves (not individual tats) are Accuseds.

Savonarola

Quote from: Valmy on November 16, 2014, 10:39:31 PM
This is also not the first time that I have seen this thrown about by the way.  I have seen articles claiming that in STEM women face 'rape and sexual harassment' on a 'daily basis'. 

The rape conference room here is already booked solid until the end of the year.  :(

QuoteThe reason that we do not have more women in STEM is basically because we are monsters at a rate that vastly exceeds men in every other field.

A more valid criticism, based on my own professional and academic experience, is that engineering (and especially electrical engineering) is so heavily male-dominated that a successful female engineer will have to be okay with being "One of the guys."  Another is that a lot of engineers come from non-western cultures and may have some difficulties working with women.  Not every woman is going to be comfortable with both of those; and that probably stops some women from completing an engineering degree.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?