News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

In space, no one can hear you nagging

Started by Ed Anger, November 14, 2014, 11:18:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on November 16, 2014, 09:37:52 PM
It's actually a popular method among the highly successful to limit the mundane in order to focus like a laser on what they consider important. You know those black shirts Steve Jobs always wore? He owned dozens of them and wore almost nothing else.

Excepts Jobs being Jobs, that wasn't any random black turtleneck.  He selected a design by famous fashion designer Issey Miyake and then proceeded to order about 100 or so of them.

So it's definitely not that he didn't care what he looked like - he cared quite a bit.  He just liked the idea of having a personal look, a personal uniform.

http://www.csmonitor.com/Innovation/Horizons/2011/1012/The-story-behind-Steve-Jobs-s-black-turtleneck
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 16, 2014, 02:31:16 PM
He's a nerd who's primary job is to do science stuff, not talk to the press.  The shirt in question is not one he wears regularly around female coworkers; it's a celebration shirt.

The appropriate response is a chuckle about tackiness and bad taste, not screeching and pillorying.

And the women on it aren't very hott.

The thing is - I don't hear anyone "screeching and pillorying".  Almost all of the actual criticisms have been quite muted.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Barrister on November 16, 2014, 10:18:35 PM
The thing is - I don't hear anyone "screeching and pillorying".  Almost all of the actual criticisms have been quite muted.

QuoteThis is the sort of casual misogyny that stops women from entering certain scientific fields. They see a guy like that on TV and they don't feel welcome. They see a poster of greased up women in a colleague's office and they know they aren't respected. They hear comments about "bitches" while out at a bar with fellow science students, and they decide to change majors. And those are the women who actually make it that far. Those are the few who persevered even when they were discouraged from pursuing degrees in physics, chemistry, and math throughout high school. These are the women who forged on despite the fact that they were told by elementary school classmates and the media at large that girls who like science are nerdy and unattractive. This is the climate women who dream of working at NASA or the ESA come up against, every single day. This shirt is representative of all of that, and the ESA has yet to issue a statement or apologize for that.

Quite muted?

Valmy

Quote from: Jacob on November 16, 2014, 01:44:56 PM
I think gratuitous semi-naked chick imagery are inappropriate in the workplace, and that their casual acceptance can contribute to a hostile environment.

Yeah sure, one should not wear that kind of thing professionally.  But is this typical of STEM and does it pervade throughout offices from Google to Intel to Apple to Samsung?  I have never seen one in all my years of going to school in STEM much less in a professional environment.  But the claim is this is typical, unique to STEM, and widespread and constant.

This was not an attack on one guy.  He was made a symbol as a typical STEM guy.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on November 16, 2014, 10:18:35 PM

Um it was basically implied that we are all subhuman barbarians who call women bitches, have dirty pictures in our offices and go out of our way to harass and attack women.  Basically this is symbolic of how horrible we are.  I mean for fucksake how many scientists have dirty pictures in their offices?  How many wear shirts with naked women and refer to their colleagues as bitches?  Certainly there are some but this is widespread and constant and far exceeds every other field in the world?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

This is also not the first time that I have seen this thrown about by the way.  I have seen articles claiming that in STEM women face 'rape and sexual harassment' on a 'daily basis'.  The reason that we do not have more women in STEM is basically because we are monsters at a rate that vastly exceeds men in every other field.

Siege

I, OK,. WHAT. OKL. WHAT!!!!!!111111
wHAT???>>>
WHAETVVVAHR...
I AM THE ONLY GURL IN THE WOLD...

I LIKE IT, I LIKE IT, I LIKE IT,
nOOOO COME ON.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Siege

sEX IN THE AIR.
SOME MAY BE BETTTTRRE WHAT?
cOME ON, COME, NO.
s\ AMD m.

Siege

some MAY BETTER,
I MIGHT PERFECTTLY BETTER AT IT.
SSSSSS
AND AND
MMMM

Siege

bRITANY AND THST CHICKM FROM TRINIDAD TOBAGO.

Siege

Eddie Teach

Maybe you've had enough light beers for one night.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Siege

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 16, 2014, 10:53:11 PM
Maybe you've had enough light beers for one night.

What?
The nghit is short!!!!!

Siege

In space nofady can hear mi nagging!!!!@@@@2221111

lustindarkness

Thank you Siege,  you are actually making this boring thread almost not boring.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom