News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

In space, no one can hear you nagging

Started by Ed Anger, November 14, 2014, 11:18:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

And I wouldn't. Because breaking social norms is the prerogative of Mozarts. Otherwise you risk ending up looking like a petty, pathetic footnote in the annals of history.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Martinus on November 18, 2014, 11:21:08 AM
And I wouldn't. Because breaking social norms is the prerogative of Mozarts. Otherwise you risk ending up looking like a petty, pathetic footnote in the annals of history.
Who cares about what they end up looking like in the annals of history? Unless I make a late career change into serial killing then I've got more chance ending up in One Direction than the annals of history as a footnote or otherwise.

Trouble is there's a lot more people who believe they're Mozarts/behave like Mozarts than actually are. Also breaking social norms isn't okay just because you are or suspect you are a genius. Just because you're talented doesn't mean you get to be a dick (which I don't think the scientist was).

And I don't think the Mozart comparison works either. Science, especially something this big is a collaborative process. Yes he may be an important part of the ESA team but he's not some Romantic individual genius (:x). He's a very good scientist, working in a team of very good scientists who achieved something impressive.
Let's bomb Russia!

Tamas

An idiot wants to make sure everyone knows he is an idiot and makes a fool out of himself on telly. How this has become a 16 pages thread?

Tamas

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 18, 2014, 11:32:49 AM
Quote from: Martinus on November 18, 2014, 11:21:08 AM
Who cares about what they end up looking like in the annals of history? Unless I make a late career change into serial killing then I've got more chance ending up in One Direction than the annals of history as a footnote or otherwise.

Trouble is there's a lot more people who believe they're Mozarts/behave like Mozarts than actually are. Also breaking social norms isn't okay just because you are or suspect you are a genius. Just because you're talented doesn't mean you get to be a dick (which I don't think the scientist was).

And I don't think the Mozart comparison works either. Science, especially something this big is a collaborative process. Yes he may be an important part of the ESA team but he's not some Romantic individual genius (:x). He's a very good scientist, working in a team of very good scientists who achieved something impressive.

Yeah geniuses (who this guy is probably not) shouldn't be able to get away with being assholes. If they do, it is because people in their professional environments are dependant on them, and are de facto forced to put with the assholes.

But make no mistake, this is something craved for by many people, they are just unable to achieve it. What else would explain the popularity of a series like House?

Martinus

It's weird for you, Tamas, to take such a illiberal stance. A right to be an asshole should be considered one of fundamental human rights.

Tamas

Quote from: Martinus on November 18, 2014, 12:46:43 PM
It's weird for you, Tamas, to take such a illiberal stance. A right to be an asshole should be considered one of fundamental human rights.

He has the right to be an asshole and the rest of us in turn have the right to shun him for it.

mongers

Quote from: Tamas on November 18, 2014, 12:51:37 PM

He has the right to be an asshole and the rest of us in turn have the right to shun him for it.

Getting a bit shrill, aren't we?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Tamas

Quote from: mongers on November 18, 2014, 01:01:50 PM

About what?

mongers

Has anyone else watch the 'Sky at Night' programme I link to above?

I didn't see one tie, the dress norm amongst these space scientists seems to be open neck shirt and non-matching jacket at 'best' this is what the project director was wearing. Otherwise there's quite a lot of loud shirts, patterned or otherwise, one or two were just wearing t-shirts or sweatshirts, which didn't look in especially good condition.

I think what was has confused some people here is the notions that going on television is something exceptional that these people should prepare for and be ready to present a corporately framed message to the media.

If you watch the programme, you'll see these scientists and ESA have given the several dozen/hundred plus press/tv journalists thorough uncontrolled access to the scientists and their project. The TV presenters are having almost real-time conversations with the team as they do their work, so you see one of them say, it's before 8am in the car park and I'm just going to button-hole the project director, who then arrives, quick conservation with cameraman, and he does a quick two-three minutes interview with the guy before running off.

No tie was in evidence, but I think he's going about the other part of his job, which is explaining science to the wider public, so even though it must be one of the busiest days of his life, he still finds time to  engage with people outside his close-knit team.

Which to my mind, appears to be what the guy in the shirt was trying to do.

I should also point out, lots of the journalists/tv presenter appear to be former scientists, so seem to fit in well with that community's openness, hence making access more informal and unfettered by corporate concerns.

I hope the upshot of this storm in a teacup isn't the top level of ESA deciding that press access must in future be controlled and sticking some PR lush or HR drone in the way of scientists explaining what they do.

mongers

Quote from: Tamas on November 18, 2014, 01:05:10 PM

About what?

You've called the guy an asshole more than once, for what exactly?

Tamas

Quote from: mongers on November 18, 2014, 01:21:52 PM

About what?

Well if you go on TV dressed like that representing your team, then the only thing you care about is show how awesome you are (in your own head at least), pissing in the general direction of showing respect to your team. Ergo: an asshole. But I am not emotionally invested in this, if that was your impression.

Brazen

Brian Cox, scruffy get and astronomy sex symbol.

mongers

Quote from: Tamas on November 18, 2014, 01:32:35 PM
Quote from: mongers on November 18, 2014, 01:21:52 PM

About what?

Well if you go on TV dressed like that representing your team, then the only thing you care about is show how awesome you are (in your own head at least), pissing in the general direction of showing respect to your team. Ergo: an asshole. But I am not emotionally invested in this, if that was your impression.

Watch the programme I linked to and see if you still hold this 'opinion'.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Brazen on November 18, 2014, 01:35:14 PM

I have seen him interviewed before.  Now there is an excellent example of a very smart scientist who can concentrate on more than one thing at a time.

mongers

Quote from: Brazen on November 18, 2014, 01:35:14 PM

Brazen, in your job do you find PR getting in the way of your access to scientists/doers?