News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

In space, no one can hear you nagging

Started by Ed Anger, November 14, 2014, 11:18:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: mongers on November 18, 2014, 02:26:16 PM
You know this thread has inspired me, I'm one of the worst dressed people I know, therefore I should become a scientist, can't be much more to it than that can it?   :cool:

Might be easier to buy a suit and some new shoes.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

mongers

Quote from: Brazen on November 18, 2014, 02:25:57 PM
I don't think anyone at my workplace would object if someone came in wearing that shirt. But then I wear a T-shirt with a kitten in an army helmet and shades and wielding a hand grenade.

You regularly walk around a dingy, crowded office wearing sunglasses and carrying live explosives?  :cool:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

crazy canuck

I don't think anyone at my workplace would object if someone came in wearing that shirt. But then I wear a T-shirt with a kitten in an army helmet and shades and wielding a hand grenade.

I have yet to see you wearing that T-shirt in any of your videos  ;)

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

mongers

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 18, 2014, 02:33:10 PM

Damn, I nearly commented on this, but realised it could easily be misconstrued as being sexist.   :blush:

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

grumbler

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 18, 2014, 02:35:58 PM
Some of us are puritans and proud <_<
Nothing wrong with being a puritan, so long as one is honest about it.  It's as intellectually honest a belief as Fascism or whatever Raz calls his brand of craziness.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Malthus

Quote from: grumbler on November 18, 2014, 02:41:29 PM
Nothing wrong with being a puritan, so long as one is honest about it.  It's as intellectually honest a belief as Fascism or whatever Raz calls his brand of craziness.

Plus, you get to wear that funny hat with a buckle on it.  :)

http://www.amazon.com/Unknown-Puritan-Hat-Qual-XL/dp/B008CG7OSK
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

mongers

Anyone know where I can buy a white lab coat and some blue pens/pencils, see I have a real itch to become a scientist.

Barrister

Quote from: grumbler on November 18, 2014, 02:11:50 PM
Quote from: Tamas on November 18, 2014, 01:32:35 PM
Well if you go on TV dressed like that representing your team, then the only thing you care about is show how awesome you are (in your own head at least), pissing in the general direction of showing respect to your team. Ergo: an asshole. But I am not emotionally invested in this, if that was your impression.

:lmfao:  Projection much?

One of the things I love about this forum is the number of puritans who will absolutely deny that they are puritans, while defending their own right to make stupid black-and-white snap judgements about just about anyone on just about any topic. BB&T are at least reliably hilarious when it comes to things like these.  Thanks for showing your ass, T.

So according to grumbles,

Quote from: BarristerForget the pattern - why the hell is the man wearing a bowling shirt to go on tv?

Man up and wear a shirt and tie. :mad:

Makes one a puritan.

Let's put this assertion to the test, shall we?

QuotePuritan
[pyoo r-i-tn]  Spell  Syllables
Word Origin
noun
1. a member of a group of Protestants that arose in the 16th century within the Church of England, demanding the simplification of doctrine and worship, and greater strictness in religious discipline: during part of the 17th century the Puritans became a powerful political party.
2. (lowercase) a person who is strict in moral or religious matters, often excessively so.
adjective
3. of or pertaining to the Puritans.
4. (lowercase) of, pertaining to, or characteristic of a moral puritan; puritanical.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/puritan

Well grumbles didn't use a capital P (and we know how sensitive he is to proper capitalization) he appears to be arguing that I am strict in moral or religious matters, often excessively so.

I don't recally making any moral commentary, and certainly didn't say anything religious.

My only commentary was sartorial - that a man going for an interview on tv ought to wear a shirt and tie (or something roughly equivalent).  That doesn't strike me as being a particularly high or onerous bar.  It's simply a standard look for a man trying to present a base level of professional competence.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Brain

But the guy had used his mental bandwidth for sciency stuff. I can relate to that. All my mental bandwidth is spent on advanced geniusy stuff, so I routinely thrash around naked in my own stool on the floor. Pure chance that I've never done a TV interview in that state.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Razgovory

Quote from: grumbler on November 18, 2014, 02:41:29 PM

Democracy.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Legbiter

Quote from: Tamas on November 18, 2014, 12:30:41 PM
An idiot wants to make sure everyone knows he is an idiot and makes a fool out of himself on telly. How this has become a 16 pages thread?

:mad:

Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Brazen

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 18, 2014, 02:33:10 PM

I disguise myself as a fat, middle-aged frump for my public face.

I dress up for any public-facing events when I'm representing my company. Doesn't everyone?

I have been dared to wear the t-shirt. I can't resist a dare...

Oh wait, no shades, just cold, dead eyes.

grumbler

Quote from: Barrister on November 18, 2014, 02:50:43 PM
QuotePuritan
[pyoo r-i-tn]  Spell  Syllables
Word Origin
noun
1. anyone obsessed by the fear that someone, somewhere, somehow, is having fun.

http://dicktionary.reference.com/browse/puritan

My only commentary was sartorial - that a man going for an interview on tv ought to wear a shirt and tie (or something roughly equivalent).  That doesn't strike me as being a particularly high or onerous bar.  It's simply a standard look for a man trying to present a base level of professional competence.

The guy was having fun, and was celebrating by wearing a shirt made for the occasion by a friend of his.  You have a problem with this, because his dress sense doesn't match yours (Berkut and Tamas have the same problem).  I'm totally okay with that, as long as you guys are honest enough to admit that your preference for being buttoned down rather than fun is just a preference.  Tamas insisting that the guy is an asshole for disagreeing with Tamas's dress sense is a much more extreme position than your or Berkut's, and I don't associate you two guys with that laughable argument.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!