And we're back!

Main Menu

In space, no one can hear you nagging

Started by Ed Anger, November 14, 2014, 11:18:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 18, 2014, 01:36:57 PM
Quote from: Brazen on November 18, 2014, 01:35:14 PM
Brian Cox, scruffy get and astronomy sex symbol.

I have seen him interviewed before.  Now there is an excellent example of a very smart scientist who can concentrate on more than one thing at a time.

Yes, but he's generally fronting high profile pan-national programmes seen by many millions and for which he's presumably paid quite a bit of money.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

crazy canuck

Quote from: mongers on November 18, 2014, 01:38:55 PM
Yes, but he's generally fronting high profile pan-national programmes seen by many millions and for which he's presumably paid quite a bit of money.

Yes, and shirtman was fronting a high profile pan-national space program seen by many millions around the world.  I am sure he was also being paid.

Tamas

Quote from: mongers on November 18, 2014, 01:35:51 PM
Quote from: Tamas on November 18, 2014, 01:32:35 PM
Quote from: mongers on November 18, 2014, 01:21:52 PM
Quote from: Tamas on November 18, 2014, 01:05:10 PM
Quote from: mongers on November 18, 2014, 01:01:50 PM
Quote from: Tamas on November 18, 2014, 12:51:37 PM
Quote from: Martinus on November 18, 2014, 12:46:43 PM
It's weird for you, Tamas, to take such a illiberal stance. A right to be an asshole should be considered one of fundamental human rights.

He has the right to be an asshole and the rest of us in turn have the right to shun him for it.

Getting a bit shrill, aren't we?

About what?

You've called the guy an asshole more than once, for what exactly?

Well if you go on TV dressed like that representing your team, then the only thing you care about is show how awesome you are (in your own head at least), pissing in the general direction of showing respect to your team. Ergo: an asshole. But I am not emotionally invested in this, if that was your impression.

Watch the programme I linked to and see if you still hold this 'opinion'.

He knew there would be lots of tv crews there that day, but he went in wearing that. As I said. An asshole.

lustindarkness

This thread just proves to me that some of my feloow languish assholes have waaaaay too much time in their hands and are so bored that they argue over nothing just to entertain themselves.

I wish I had the time to be that bored. :(
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

mongers

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 18, 2014, 01:41:09 PM
Quote from: mongers on November 18, 2014, 01:38:55 PM

Yes, and shirtman was fronting a high profile pan-national space program seen by many millions around the world.  I am sure he was also being paid.

But he wasn't fronting it, there were plenty of other more senior people interviewed.

He was only interviewed because the media had unfettered access to all of the scientists and  he was an enthusiastic communicator. I wonder if there was extra remuneration in his employment contract to cover working with the media?

Eddie Teach

Quote from: lustindarkness on November 18, 2014, 01:52:42 PM
This thread just proves to me that some of my feloow languish assholes have waaaaay too much time in their hands and are so bored that they argue over nothing just to entertain themselves.

I wish I had the time to be that bored. :(

Boredom ain't all it's cracked up to be.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

mongers

Quote from: Tamas on November 18, 2014, 01:42:46 PM
Quote from: mongers on November 18, 2014, 01:35:51 PM
Quote from: mongers on November 18, 2014, 01:21:52 PM
Quote from: Tamas on November 18, 2014, 01:05:10 PM
Quote from: mongers on November 18, 2014, 01:01:50 PM
Quote from: Tamas on November 18, 2014, 12:51:37 PM
Quote from: Martinus on November 18, 2014, 12:46:43 PM
It's weird for you, Tamas, to take such a illiberal stance. A right to be an asshole should be considered one of fundamental human rights.

He has the right to be an asshole and the rest of us in turn have the right to shun him for it.

Getting a bit shrill, aren't we?

About what?

You've called the guy an asshole more than once, for what exactly?

Well if you go on TV dressed like that representing your team, then the only thing you care about is show how awesome you are (in your own head at least), pissing in the general direction of showing respect to your team. Ergo: an asshole. But I am not emotionally invested in this, if that was your impression.

Watch the programme I linked to and see if you still hold this 'opinion'.

He knew there would be lots of tv crews there that day, but he went in wearing that. As I said. An asshole.

Hey, someone on the internet wins cos they get to call someone else an asshole.  :cool:

I should email this guy and see if he wants to walk a hundred yards in your shoes.

grumbler

:lmfao:  Projection much?

One of the things I love about this forum is the number of puritans who will absolutely deny that they are puritans, while defending their own right to make stupid black-and-white snap judgements about just about anyone on just about any topic. BB&T are at least reliably hilarious when it comes to things like these.  Thanks for showing your ass, T.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Tamas

:huh: Talk about storm in a teacup.

I don't feel like reading all 16 pages, so could somebody tell me why grumbler and mongers are personally offended for me not liking Shirtguy?

grumbler

Quote from: Tamas on November 18, 2014, 02:14:08 PM
:huh: Talk about storm in a teacup.

I don't feel like reading all 16 pages, so could somebody tell me why grumbler and mongers are personally offended for me not liking Shirtguy?

Holy crap, sportsfan!  Slow the fuck down and take a chill pill.  No reason to go all supernova when people point out that you are a puritan!
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

crazy canuck

Quote from: mongers on November 18, 2014, 02:01:50 PM
But he wasn't fronting it, there were plenty of other more senior people interviewed.

He was only interviewed because the media had unfettered access to all of the scientists.

Fair point.  But surely he knew this was going to be a big media event and knowing that he did specifically pick out that shirt to wear on the big day.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 18, 2014, 02:18:06 PM

Fair point.  But surely he knew this was going to be a big media event and knowing that he did specifically pick out that shirt to wear on the big day.

Yeah as a favor to his girlfriend.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

mongers

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 18, 2014, 02:18:06 PM
Quote from: mongers on November 18, 2014, 02:01:50 PM

He was only interviewed because the media had unfettered access to all of the scientists.

Well it was certainly a mistake, a minor error, but if you saw the programme on the mission I liked to, this great achievement was conducted by a somewhat shabbily dressed bunch of individuals.

Brazen

I don't think anyone at my workplace would object if someone came in wearing that shirt. But then I wear a T-shirt with a kitten in an army helmet and shades and wielding a hand grenade.

mongers

You know this thread has inspired me, I'm one of the worst dressed people I know, therefore I should become a scientist, can't be much more to it than that can it?   :cool: