8 (12.1%)
No (I'd vote yes)
4 (6.1%)
No (I'd also vote no)
38 (57.6%)

Total Members Voted: 64

Viking

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 15, 2014, 04:46:55 PM
How did the Orkneys become part of Scotland?

A dowry.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orkney

QuoteIn 1468 Orkney was pledged by Christian I, in his capacity as king of Norway, as security against the payment of the dowry of his daughter Margaret, betrothed to James III of Scotland. As the money was never paid, the connection with the crown of Scotland has become perpetual.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Zanza

I hope Scotland stays in the UK as that increases the chance that the UK stays in the EU.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on September 16, 2014, 04:09:17 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on September 15, 2014, 08:10:51 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 15, 2014, 06:34:16 PM
Only vaguely related to the topic, is Sassenach (sp?) the Gaelic pronounciation of Saxon, or does it come from a different root?

I think it's ultimately derived from what ever the Saxons called themselves.  But those things are always complex.  Like the word "YorK" which probably came originally from some gaelic word and was then modified for Latin, then Old English, then Norse, then old English again, then Norman, and finally Modern English.

iirc, the Latinised name fro York is Eburacum.
Aand again iirc (it's been a while since I studied Gallo-Roman settlements) placenames ending on "acum" are usually adapted from celtic and refer to a trading place or market place.
(a few others are Cortoriacum or Kortrijk/Courtrai, Bagacum Nerviorum or Beuken/Bavay, Camaracum or Kamerijk/Cambrai)
Assuming that the information isn't outdated completely of course

I think that's still the general consensus about Celto-Roman toponyms but latinisation happened sometimes much later and straight from Latin, say Leipzig giving Lipsia still in use in Latin languages. Of course, Leipzig does not come from a Celtic language. Some people would use Roman name instead of latinised, to make it clearer.
Eburacum is mentioned in ancient sources indeed.

mongers

48 hours to save the Union.  :cry:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

KRonn

Quote from: mongers on September 16, 2014, 07:16:02 AM

Indeed, this is getting kind of scary, eh? The breakup of the UK?  :(

mongers

Quote from: KRonn on September 16, 2014, 07:42:28 AM
Quote from: mongers on September 16, 2014, 07:16:02 AM

Indeed, this is getting kind of scary, eh? The breakup of the UK?  :(

Primary feeling for me is oddness, it'll be very odd if this goes through.

Perhaps a bit like if Washington, Oregon, Idaho and the Dakotas all have a vote on exiting the USA?

PJL

I think whatever happens, the UK will never be the same again. At the very least Scotland will get significant new devolved powers, which could cause resentment in England & Wales, and calls for more powers towards the regions and localities.

Martinus

Quote from: PJL on September 16, 2014, 07:57:35 AM
I think whatever happens, the UK will never be the same again. At the very least Scotland will get significant new devolved powers, which could cause resentment in England & Wales, and calls for more powers towards the regions and localities.

Yup. The West Lothian question.

derspiess

Quote from: mongers on September 15, 2014, 07:06:04 PM
Scotland divided.

Earlier Channel 4 news interviewed the clan chief of MacLaren, one of the oldest clans, he's pro-independence, his wife is adamantly No and they preceded to argue quite strongly on camera.
Of their five children (judging by the surnames from two marriages), two are voting no and three yes, the held similarly strong opinions on the issue.

:hmm:  I haven't received any guidance from the head of my clan (MacAlpine).  Might need to send that dude an email.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Berkut

Prediction: This fails, and it isn't even that close.

I think there is a significant portion of people who answer "Yes" to the question in a poll, but realize that it is actually a pretty idea and vote "No" when it comes right down to it...
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Josquius

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 15, 2014, 04:48:16 PM
Quote from: Tyr on September 15, 2014, 04:38:59 PM
There isnt much serious talk about the northern isles leaving (though there is some) but....the numbers for them breaking off and declaring independence make a lot more sense than for Scotland as a whole. And it would be sweet.
They get so much money from the centre and from the EU :lol:

I half-hope they embrace their Viking heritage more fully* and try and join Norway :lol:

* They're already pretty keen:

I doubt they get more money than they would get from keeping all the oil money for themselves.
It strikes me that the Orkneyites/Shetlanders would be richer than Emiratis in that case.

Good to see. Would be nice if Edinburgh would embrace its Geordie heritage too :menace:
██████
██████
██████

mongers

Quote from: Berkut on September 16, 2014, 10:32:59 AM

I think there is a significant portion of people who answer "Yes" to the question in a poll, but realize that it is actually a pretty idea and vote "No" when it comes right down to it...

Quoted for posterity.

Barrister

I'm going to predict that it is close.  Very close.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Berkut

Quote from: mongers on September 16, 2014, 12:28:40 PM

Quoted for posterity.

Fair enough. I've been wrong once or twice before...:P
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

mongers

Quote from: Berkut on September 16, 2014, 12:31:43 PM
Quote from: mongers on September 16, 2014, 12:28:40 PM

Quoted for posterity.

Fair enough. I've been wrong once or twice before...:P

Oops, I actually meant it both ways, that and I was hoping you pulled one out of the hat and were right.  :D