News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Plot thickens in Argentina

Started by Jacob, February 03, 2015, 05:42:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

I think the extraordinary hegemony of Peronism is a big part of it. Menem and the Kirchners are both Peronist.

Also I'm not convinced that liberalism, neo- or not, should expect any popularity in Latin America.
Let's bomb Russia!

derspiess

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 04, 2015, 07:56:43 PM
I think the extraordinary hegemony of Peronism is a big part of it. Menem and the Kirchners are both Peronist.

Yep.  Those two factions are growing so far apart though, the only thing they have in common is that they like to do their meetings & rallies in front of huge Evita murals.  Would be a healthy thing for Argentine politics for them to formally split into separate parties.

QuoteAlso I'm not convinced that liberalism, neo- or not, should expect any popularity in Latin America.

It's a tough sell to the lower classes, particularly in this current wave of South American populism.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Maybe we could prepare a power point presentation comparing Liberal Venezuela to Bolivarian Venezuela  :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Siege

Quote from: Valmy on February 05, 2015, 10:23:42 AM
Maybe we could prepare a power point presentation comparing Liberal Venezuela to Bolivarian Venezuela  :P

This is not a bad idea.
Stupid people need things explained at kindergarden level.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

derspiess

They'd only show up if we gave them free hats, t-shirts, and polenta.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall