Yes (I'd vote no)
8 (12.1%)
No (I'd vote yes)
4 (6.1%)
No (I'd also vote no)
38 (57.6%)

Total Members Voted: 64

The Larch

The Daily Mail doesn't shirk from asking the hard hitting questions regarding the referendum:

QuoteDid losing an English girl's love turn Salmond into a raging Nat? QUENTIN LETTS delves into the mind of the man who wants to destroy the UK

Josquius

A serious thought I had today: I wonder how the vote will impact on suicides.
Thinking about it, either way it strikes me there will be some very unhappy people.
If yes wins in particular....well even I would feel pretty messed up, I'd have pretty much lost the country I know, and I'm not even Scottish.
██████
██████
██████

Eddie Teach

The country you've been avoiding the past 10 years?  :hmm:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

viper37

Quote from: Tyr on September 14, 2014, 05:39:34 PM
A serious thought I had today: I wonder how the vote will impact on suicides.
Thinking about it, either way it strikes me there will be some very unhappy people.
If yes wins in particular....well even I would feel pretty messed up, I'd have pretty much lost the country I know, and I'm not even Scottish.
I don't think it will have any effect.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

mongers

Four days to save the Kingdom; King Arthur, where are you.  :cry:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Josquius

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 14, 2014, 05:50:33 PM
The country you've been avoiding the past 10 years?  :hmm:
Yes. And it would still mess me up.
Imagining someone right in the firing line of the crappy land that will result...
██████
██████
██████

Razgovory

The whole thing seems absurd to me.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Jacob

Hey Brits - how seriously should "if Scotland goes, the Orkneys might try to stay in the UK" be taken?

Elsewhere I've seen it treated as "that would be negotiating in bad faith, and the foundation of the referendum is an agreement to negotiate in good faith, so it's basically off the table."

Does that sound right to you?

Syt

If the Scots vote for independence on Thursday, I guess the rest of the UK will walk away Scot free.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Martinus

Quote from: Syt on September 15, 2014, 02:11:19 PM
If the Scots vote for independence on Thursday, I guess the rest of the UK will walk away Scot free.

I guess the UK will fall prey to the No True Scottsman fallacy.

Malthus

Quote from: Martinus on September 15, 2014, 02:34:01 PM
Quote from: Syt on September 15, 2014, 02:11:19 PM

I guess the UK will fall prey to the No True Scottsman fallacy.

Can one be a true Scotsman and vote "No"?  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on September 15, 2014, 01:18:08 PM
The whole thing seems absurd to me.

Yeah, but at this point my thinking is if a majority want to split away, fine.  Let them learn from their mistake.  Won't happen, though.  The "No" vote will win by a fairly healthy margin.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on September 15, 2014, 03:04:25 PM
Yeah, but at this point my thinking is if a majority want to split away, fine.  Let them learn from their mistake.

I don't know man.  I would prefer to see super majorities for a Constitutional shift of this magnitude.  I mean we require it simply to change the Constitution.  If there is indeed a justifiable reason for independence a 67% majority should be pretty easy to obtain.  If the colonies had voted 7-6 for Independence in 1776 instead of being unanimous I don't think we would have gone forward with it.  Besides this is not the sort of mistake one 'learns' from.  This is a once in a century unreversable political decision....if they vote yes anyway.

QuoteWon't happen, though.  The "No" vote will win by a fairly healthy margin.

Here is hoping.

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

The advantage to having a 50%+1 threshold, is that 49.9% then is not good enough.

If you demand a clear majority for independence, then surely you need a clear majority for the status quo as well.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.