Your Preferred Solution to the Crimean Crisis?

Started by Queequeg, March 11, 2014, 01:13:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you have responded as POTUS or similarly powerful European leader to the Russian invasion of Crimea?

Вставайте, люди русские!  Peremysl and Belostok are Russian cities!
0 (0%)
Let the Russians take Ukraine.  Not our problem.
1 (1.7%)
International process designed to divvy-up Ukraine between a pro-EU West and a Russian east.
9 (15.3%)
Attempt to diffuse expanded conflict, limit involvement in Ukraine in future
2 (3.4%)
Serious sanctions on Russian business interests and oligarchs, stepped-up aid and military relations with Ukraine without full NATO or EU membership.
15 (25.4%)
After Russian annexation of Crimea begin speedy process integration of Ukraine in to NATO and possibly EU
7 (11.9%)
Give all possible immediate aid to Ukraine in an attempt defend the country, make immediately clear that any push past Crimea or in to Donbass will mean war.
13 (22%)
Full Dr. Strangelove; immediate mobilization of NATO forces in attempt to retake Crimea militarily
8 (13.6%)
Other (please specify)
3 (5.1%)
Jaron's Neo Byzantine Empire will soon retake Crimea!
1 (1.7%)

Total Members Voted: 58

Barrister

Quote from: Martim Silva on March 12, 2014, 09:20:06 AM
Quote from: Tamas on March 12, 2014, 05:30:42 AM
I think the only reason why there are no Russian tanks yet at the Dniepr is that the Russians got surprised by the political and market reactions over the Crimea shit. With bullies like Putin's Russia (or the Soviet Union) you stand up to them, or submit to them. There is no convincing of them with kindness.

Remember that, unlike the Crimea, the weather in the Ukraine at the moment is really bad for military operations: in February-March, the ground tends to thaw during the day (becoming muddy) and freezes at night, trapping vehicles. While in April - early May it's just very muddy and hard to do anything practical in a military sense.

And the idea of the TVs showing pictures of the Russian military struggling to unstuck their armoured vehicles as their advance is turned to a crawl by the weather is hardly appealing for the Kremlin.

Umm, the Russians aren't going to be sending in the tanks rumbling across open fields.

The Ukrainian state is still in partial disarray, including the military.  If the Russians invade, it will be the same as Crimea - they'll just drive in along the roads.

Besides, the weather in, say Kharkiv, seems quite pleasant right now.

http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/Kharkiv+Ukraine+UPXX0014
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

chipwich

Ukraine should sell Crimea for cash. Perhaps be made to, since Ukraine is nearly bankrupt.

derspiess

Quote from: chipwich on March 12, 2014, 12:33:58 PM
Ukraine should sell Crimea for cash. Perhaps be made to, since Ukraine is nearly bankrupt.

That was my idea!  :angry:

But then it's hard to sell something that's already been stolen from you.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: Barrister on March 12, 2014, 12:26:13 PM
The Ukrainian state is still in partial disarray, including the military.  If the Russians invade, it will be the same as Crimea - they'll just drive in along the roads.

Then I'd love to see them get bushwhacked like they did in the Winter War.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Barrister

Quote from: derspiess on March 12, 2014, 12:42:08 PM

I'm not saying that wouldn't be amusing.

But *if* the Russians invade eastern Ukraine, and *if* they are resisted, it will be Euromaidan-style - lots of barricades across important roads, lots of defenders in homemade armour with homemade weapons.

Solmyr

Quote from: derspiess on March 12, 2014, 12:42:08 PM

Russia won the Winter War. :P Also, Ukraine is not exactly Finland.

Martim Silva

Quote from: Iormlund on March 12, 2014, 12:24:02 PM
That data doesn't support the notion that we would be starved if we were cut off. Just that we'd have to change our feeding patterns, which is perfectly fine. If food supply became an issue we could also switch from cash crops to edible stuff and there's plenty of abandoned villages over here where one might start cultivating again.

No, it's not 'perfectly fine'.

Remember, we are trying to build a strong Great Power, that can represent European interests in the world without being under the shadow of Washington or Moscow. It wouldn't show great strength to the european peoples if our 'power' resulted in a change of eating habits (like 'less meat' and 'less of a lot of stuff'), even in peacetime. In fact, it would probably anger many people about why are they in the EU in the first place.

Also, we can't be dependent on imports from the other powers if we want to be influent. Otherwise, when we have trouble with Russia, we'd be very dependent on the US. And if we are in a dispute with the US, we'd be at the mercy of Russia. Not a way to go if we want to take our place as a Great Power.

Americans know their country can put food on their table. Russians know this as well. Europeans cannot be sure of it. And that just won't do.

Also, this is just one problem. We have a lot more, besides the political and economic ones (like need of access to oil, gas, rare minerals and other stuff), and they won't go away soon.

Quote from: Barrister
But *if* the Russians invade eastern Ukraine, and *if* they are resisted, it will be Euromaidan-style - lots of barricades across important roads, lots of defenders in homemade armour with homemade weapons.

Not exactly. The Eastern Ukraine can easily be taken by road - it's very close, and few if any resistance would occur. But any move beyond Dnepropetrovsk (or even Sumy) would be resisted, and not just by mobs.

We would send all help possible to the Ukraine, and Kiev is already mobilizing what it can - they did try general mobilization of all males 18 to 40, but general logistics eventually dictated that they are now reducing that to a 'National Guard' for now.

That said, that is still some hundreds of thousands of troops, even if lacking in mobility, and be sure that they cannot be dislodged without manouvering outside roads. Not to mention that the weather can easily close this time of the year and deprive the Russians of airpower.

All it shows is that Putin learned from Yeltsin's mistakes and doesn't want a 'Winter War'. Let's just say there is a reason why Yanukovych said he'd be restaured 'soon' to power and why he's doing press conferences in Rostov (where the HQ of the Southern Military District is located).

Needless to say, the crimean referendum is a sideshow - very much a local initiative. If you remember, after the crisis but before the announcement by the crimean authorities, Putin was saying that he defended ukranian territorial integrity.

The basics is that we showed Moscow that we can outfox them in terms of diplomacy and coups. Sadly, the Maidan protesters did not accept just the Feb 21st agreement that we achieved and went full on to depose Yanukovych the next day. That gave us a chance to get all of Ukraine, but also made Moscow feel that they were duped.

So, they will now try to play to their strenghts (military power) instead of their weaknesses (diplomatic manouvers).

Which is why Merkel has just said that the Kremlin is ignoring our proposals for a contact group.  :(

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

derspiess

Quote from: Solmyr on March 12, 2014, 01:25:25 PM
Russia won the Winter War. :P

They got smacked around and only gained a tiny bit of territory.  And I doubt the Russians of today would be willing to tolerate a ~50% casualty rate.

QuoteAlso, Ukraine is not exactly Finland.

Don't ruin it for me :angry:

Barrister

I have never, ever, heard anyone who supported european integration say that the ultimate goal was to make Europe a "great power". :huh:

Beenherebefore

Quote from: Barrister on March 12, 2014, 01:42:24 PM
I have never, ever, heard anyone who supported european integration say that the ultimate goal was to make Europe a "great power". :huh:

I'd think the goal now was to make Europe "a power".
The artist formerly known as Norgy

alfred russel

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 12, 2014, 01:38:44 PM
Why would Europe and the US be at odds?  :huh:

There are issues out there. For example, the labeling of sparkling wine.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Barrister

Quote from: alfred russel on March 12, 2014, 02:06:12 PM

It's called champagne! :mad:

Beenherebefore

The artist formerly known as Norgy

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on March 12, 2014, 02:23:30 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on March 12, 2014, 02:06:12 PM

It's called champagne! :mad:

Why must you always demonstrate you are from Edmonton when given the chance?

In any event, why would Europe become a superpower by subsidizing even more farmers to be unproductive?