Your Preferred Solution to the Crimean Crisis?

Started by Queequeg, March 11, 2014, 01:13:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you have responded as POTUS or similarly powerful European leader to the Russian invasion of Crimea?

Вставайте, люди русские!  Peremysl and Belostok are Russian cities!
0 (0%)
Let the Russians take Ukraine.  Not our problem.
1 (1.7%)
International process designed to divvy-up Ukraine between a pro-EU West and a Russian east.
9 (15.3%)
Attempt to diffuse expanded conflict, limit involvement in Ukraine in future
2 (3.4%)
Serious sanctions on Russian business interests and oligarchs, stepped-up aid and military relations with Ukraine without full NATO or EU membership.
15 (25.4%)
After Russian annexation of Crimea begin speedy process integration of Ukraine in to NATO and possibly EU
7 (11.9%)
Give all possible immediate aid to Ukraine in an attempt defend the country, make immediately clear that any push past Crimea or in to Donbass will mean war.
13 (22%)
Full Dr. Strangelove; immediate mobilization of NATO forces in attempt to retake Crimea militarily
8 (13.6%)
Other (please specify)
3 (5.1%)
Jaron's Neo Byzantine Empire will soon retake Crimea!
1 (1.7%)

Total Members Voted: 58

Ed Anger

Quote from: Tonitrus on March 11, 2014, 06:09:40 PM
I am sure Hitler already had tons of neo-nazi time travelers put into concentration camps for trying to tell him he was doing things wrong.

I need to lose some weight.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Sheilbh

Option 5, plus EU membership (when they meet the criteria) for Ukraine. Not NATO.
Let's bomb Russia!

sbr

Which of the poll options has the Russian countryside glowing a nice radioactive green?

Razgovory

I don't buy the story of the entire eastern part of the country crying out to be liberated by Putin.  I want NATO troops there.  I want us to get tough on the Muscovites.  If we don't do it now, we'll inevitably have to do it later somewhere else.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Tonitrus on March 11, 2014, 06:09:40 PM
I am sure Hitler already had tons of neo-nazi time travelers put into concentration camps for trying to tell him he was doing things wrong.

Ah, educated Jews.  Like Karl Marx himself.

MadImmortalMan

We should take the strategic reserve of mail-order brides in exchange for another guarantee of territorial integrity (minus Crimea).
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

garbon

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 11, 2014, 04:27:52 PM
I was counting the first generation as the one born here.  The ones that come here are the immigrants.

I think that varies. I also think in US we typically say 1st gen is the foreign born immigrants and their children are 2nd gen.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

LaCroix

i read up on kennan awhile back ago. i'm not sure if he was entirely correct, but it makes sense that the US took too hard a stance with the USSR and prolonged the cold war. so, i went with "other." i don't think we should seriously militarize russia's neighbors and impose overly harsh sanctions on russia as that might just result in aggravating the situation. but i also don't think we should let it go entirely, either. or be satisfied with a divvied up ukraine

Razgovory

Quote from: LaCroix on March 11, 2014, 10:24:25 PM
i read up on kennan awhile back ago. i'm not sure if he was entirely correct, but it makes sense that the US took too hard a stance with the USSR and prolonged the cold war. so, i went with "other." i don't think we should seriously militarize russia's neighbors and impose overly harsh sanctions on russia as that might just result in aggravating the situation. but i also don't think we should let it go entirely, either. or be satisfied with a divvied up ukraine

Why does that make sense?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

LaCroix

Quote from: Razgovory on March 11, 2014, 10:54:49 PMWhy does that make sense?

created "us v. them" mentality that possibly wasn't necessary, thus entrenching politics from both sides toward the notion that a cold war exists. this made it much harder to shake it off

Razgovory

Quote from: LaCroix on March 11, 2014, 10:57:32 PM

created "us v. them" mentality that possibly wasn't necessary, thus entrenching politics from both sides toward the notion that a cold war exists. this made it much harder to shake it off

But the Cold War didn't end because both sides fell in love with one another.  It ended when one side just fell apart.

Tamas

Quote from: LaCroix on March 11, 2014, 10:24:25 PM

That makes no sense whatsoever.

I think the only reason why there are no Russian tanks yet at the Dniepr is that the Russians got surprised by the political and market reactions over the Crimea shit. With bullies like Putin's Russia (or the Soviet Union) you stand up to them, or submit to them. There is no convincing of them with kindness.

celedhring

Quote from: Razgovory on March 12, 2014, 05:08:56 AM
Quote from: LaCroix on March 11, 2014, 10:57:32 PM

But the Cold War didn't end because both sides fell in love with one another.  It ended when one side just fell apart.

I suppose one might make the case that the "us vs them" mentality protected the URSS from domestic criticism. But the gulags did the same job.

Personally I think the relatively peaceful unravelling of the URSS is one of the best possible outcomes the Cold War could have ever had. There's little case for "we could have done better".

Beenherebefore

It also created "the end of history".
While that piece by Francis Fukuyama wasn't particularly accurate, it said something about the state of mind we've been living in.

The Cold War was defining for many of us, and after the wall came down and the USSR ceased to exist, we just thought things would be all right.
Evidence points to the contrary. The geopolitical situation is more volatile and more dangerous. The Iron Curtain coming down led to a bloody war right on our doorstep in Yugoslavia that Americans had to end, because Europe couldn't. Sure, there have been movement in a positive direction, the inclusion of countries like the Baltic states, Poland, the Czech Republic, Slovakia and Hungary into the fold of democratic capitalist countries, and I think this is great. But the relative decline of the West in general, and Europe in particular after 1991 is worrisome. Now I'll shut up before I go all Oswald Spengler.
The artist formerly known as Norgy

Savonarola

Quote from: Razgovory on March 12, 2014, 05:08:56 AM
But the Cold War didn't end because both sides fell in love with one another.

It just never would have worked:

Red phone rings

Eisenhower:  Hello
Krushchev:  Ike, speak to me
Eisenhower:  I told you never to call me here
Krushchev:  I needed to hear your voice, it seems like we've grown apart since we defeated the Axis powers.
Eisenhower:  It's over Nikita (hangs up)
Krushchev:  Ooh, I will bury him!

:(
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock