Your Preferred Solution to the Crimean Crisis?

Started by Queequeg, March 11, 2014, 01:13:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you have responded as POTUS or similarly powerful European leader to the Russian invasion of Crimea?

Вставайте, люди русские!  Peremysl and Belostok are Russian cities!
0 (0%)
Let the Russians take Ukraine.  Not our problem.
1 (1.7%)
International process designed to divvy-up Ukraine between a pro-EU West and a Russian east.
9 (15.3%)
Attempt to diffuse expanded conflict, limit involvement in Ukraine in future
2 (3.4%)
Serious sanctions on Russian business interests and oligarchs, stepped-up aid and military relations with Ukraine without full NATO or EU membership.
15 (25.4%)
After Russian annexation of Crimea begin speedy process integration of Ukraine in to NATO and possibly EU
7 (11.9%)
Give all possible immediate aid to Ukraine in an attempt defend the country, make immediately clear that any push past Crimea or in to Donbass will mean war.
13 (22%)
Full Dr. Strangelove; immediate mobilization of NATO forces in attempt to retake Crimea militarily
8 (13.6%)
Other (please specify)
3 (5.1%)
Jaron's Neo Byzantine Empire will soon retake Crimea!
1 (1.7%)

Total Members Voted: 58

Valmy

Quote from: Beenherebefore on March 11, 2014, 04:05:13 PM
This has been helpful to the Ukrainians yearning for liberty.

Mind you, they're 67th generation Ukrainians.

Damn.  When did their ancestors immigrate?  200 BC?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Beenherebefore

Quote from: Valmy on March 11, 2014, 04:09:19 PM
Quote from: Beenherebefore on March 11, 2014, 04:05:13 PM
This has been helpful to the Ukrainians yearning for liberty.

Mind you, they're 67th generation Ukrainians.

Damn.  When did their ancestors immigrate?  200 BC?

Ask Spellus, he knew their parents.
The artist formerly known as Norgy

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Queequeg

Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

PDH

I think the Ukraine should be paved.  That would solve the crisis and end the 1st world parking problems for good.  Of course, the shuttle system from the new world parking lot will take some time to work out, but it is a start.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

crazy canuck

Quote from: Savonarola on March 11, 2014, 04:00:11 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 11, 2014, 03:52:03 PM
Quote from: Savonarola on March 11, 2014, 03:47:35 PM
It could easily be the fifth:

Great Great Grandfather Barrister Boy emigrates to Canada in 1900 at age 25 the first generation
Great Grandfather Barrister Boy is born the year of his parents arrival the second
Grandfather Barrister Boy is born in 1925, the third generation
Father Barrister Boy is born in 1950, the fourth generation
Barrister Boy is born in 1975 the fifth.

Not easily.  It would require that every generation of Beeb's ancestors produced the next generation by age 25.

No, it necessitates that the mean age of reproduction was 25.  If Grandfather Barrister Boy was born when his father was 18, he could have been 32 when Father Barrister Boy was born.

The reason I was so sure BB must have been wrong is because both the maternal and paternal sides of my family immigrated at about the same time and I am third generation on both sides.  Also, the Welsh side of my wife's family also immigrated at about the same time and she is also third  generation on that side. 

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 11, 2014, 04:24:05 PM

Great Great Grandfather Barrister Boy emigrates to Canada in 1900 at age 25 the first generation
Great Grandfather Barrister Boy is born the year of his parents arrival the second

Not easily.  It would require that every generation of Beeb's ancestors produced the next generation by age 25.

No, it necessitates that the mean age of reproduction was 25.  If Grandfather Barrister Boy was born when his father was 18, he could have been 32 when Father Barrister Boy was born.

The reason I was so sure BB must have been wrong is because both the maternal and paternal sides of my family immigrated at about the same time and I am third generation on both sides.  Also, the Welsh side of my wife's family also immigrated at about the same time and she is also third  generation on that side.

1st generation is the generation that came from the old country, right?

Because otherwise even given your age I'm having difficulty seeing it.  Unless all of your grandparents came over as young children...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on March 11, 2014, 04:26:05 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on March 11, 2014, 04:24:05 PM

1st generation is the generation that came from the old country, right?

Because otherwise even given your age I'm having difficulty seeing it.  Unless all of your grandparents came over as young children...

I was counting the first generation as the one born here.  The ones that come here are the immigrants.

The Brain

Can we carry the Crimea into Mordor and destroy it forever?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Ideologue

Do we really want our country to interfere in a purely internal Soviet matter?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Beenherebefore

Quote from: Ideologue on March 11, 2014, 04:39:19 PM

Glad to see you have matured from Soviet fanboi to Soviet Ultra fanboi.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Ideologue on March 11, 2014, 04:39:19 PM

:lol:

You are like the Languish Pete Seeger, taking whatever position will best benefit the USSR.

Beenherebefore

Quote from: The Brain on March 11, 2014, 04:31:47 PM
Can we carry the Crimea into Mordor and destroy it forever?

Obama is adamant that we can.
I look forward to the movie with Ideologue in tow saying "My precious" and "My crisis" alternately.
I foresee some issue in picking which one to bear the Crimea, though.

Ed Anger

Use my time machine to tell Hitler about what happens. Save the Reich from defeat and get blonde German girls as a reward.

No more Russia!
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Tonitrus

I am sure Hitler already had tons of neo-nazi time travelers put into concentration camps for trying to tell him he was doing things wrong.