Your Preferred Solution to the Crimean Crisis?

Started by Queequeg, March 11, 2014, 01:13:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you have responded as POTUS or similarly powerful European leader to the Russian invasion of Crimea?

Вставайте, люди русские!  Peremysl and Belostok are Russian cities!
0 (0%)
Let the Russians take Ukraine.  Not our problem.
1 (1.7%)
International process designed to divvy-up Ukraine between a pro-EU West and a Russian east.
9 (15.3%)
Attempt to diffuse expanded conflict, limit involvement in Ukraine in future
2 (3.4%)
Serious sanctions on Russian business interests and oligarchs, stepped-up aid and military relations with Ukraine without full NATO or EU membership.
15 (25.4%)
After Russian annexation of Crimea begin speedy process integration of Ukraine in to NATO and possibly EU
7 (11.9%)
Give all possible immediate aid to Ukraine in an attempt defend the country, make immediately clear that any push past Crimea or in to Donbass will mean war.
13 (22%)
Full Dr. Strangelove; immediate mobilization of NATO forces in attempt to retake Crimea militarily
8 (13.6%)
Other (please specify)
3 (5.1%)
Jaron's Neo Byzantine Empire will soon retake Crimea!
1 (1.7%)

Total Members Voted: 58

Barrister

Quote from: Beenherebefore on March 11, 2014, 02:15:11 PM
Quote from: Barrister on March 11, 2014, 02:06:13 PM

Because I'm trying to make it a quid pro quo - give Russia some incentive to withdraw.  And Yuschenko did sign a lease extension and we should stand for the principle that countries should live up to their agreements (like the Budapest Treaty).

Correct me if I am wrong, but don't you have some Ukranian roots?

I feel for you.

I must admit when all this started, I started reading up on the whole Ukraine-Russia thing.
Yuschenko and whoever else that seems to have held political power are basically backed by some oligarchs, and the common man as per usual is shafted with little or no lube. It certainly makes the EU look like a paragon of democratic virtue.

Don't put much sympathy for me.  I have always identified and celebrated my Ukrainian heritage, but I'm 5th generation Canadian.  I wasn't one of the ones fighting and dying at Independence Square.

I used to have a big Ukrainian flag up on my wall in my room in the late 80s/early 90s.  When they declared independence in 1991 I rigged up a flagpole to hang outside in celebration.  Unfortunately, little has gone right  with the country since then.  Even the Orange Revolution, which had so much hope, fizzled out.

I hope this does launch a rebirth for the country, since after all Ukraine is Not Yet Dead (the name of the national anthem).  But obviously Putin very much hopes it isn't, and is doing what he can to prevent it.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Beenherebefore

Quote from: Barrister on March 11, 2014, 03:04:37 PM

Don't put much sympathy for me.  I have always identified and celebrated my Ukrainian heritage, but I'm 5th generation Canadian.  I wasn't one of the ones fighting and dying at Independence Square.

I used to have a big Ukrainian flag up on my wall in my room in the late 80s/early 90s.  When they declared independence in 1991 I rigged up a flagpole to hang outside in celebration.  Unfortunately, little has gone right  with the country since then.  Even the Orange Revolution, which had so much hope, fizzled out.

I hope this does launch a rebirth for the country, since after all Ukraine is Not Yet Dead (the name of the national anthem).  But obviously Putin very much hopes it isn't, and is doing what he can to prevent it.

:hug:

A lot of the former Soviet republics have basically experienced more assraping after 1991. This time it's "Anal Creampies 56 - Family Matters".

The artist formerly known as Norgy

Valmy

but I'm 5th generation Canadian.

Damn.  When did you ancestors immigrate?  1870?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Admiral Yi

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on March 11, 2014, 03:26:10 PM
Quote from: Valmy on March 11, 2014, 03:25:45 PM

1900 or so.

That is more like 3rd generation  - 4th at the outside.

Barrister

Perhaps I'm mistaken on either count.  I don't have a detailed genealogy or history on my dad's side.

Savonarola

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 11, 2014, 03:35:58 PM
Quote from: Barrister on March 11, 2014, 03:26:10 PM
Quote from: Valmy on March 11, 2014, 03:25:45 PM

1900 or so.

That is more like 3rd generation  - 4th at the outside.

It could easily be the fifth:

Great Great Grandfather Barrister Boy emigrates to Canada in 1900 at age 25 the first generation
Great Grandfather Barrister Boy is born the year of his parents arrival the second
Grandfather Barrister Boy is born in 1925, the third generation
Father Barrister Boy is born in 1950, the fourth generation
Barrister Boy is born in 1975 the fifth.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Barrister

I'm definitely 4th generation - my grandparents were born in Canada.

Plus, immigration from Ukraine to the prairies started as early as 1891.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Savonarola on March 11, 2014, 03:47:35 PM

Great Great Grandfather Barrister Boy emigrates to Canada in 1900 at age 25 the first generation
Great Grandfather Barrister Boy is born the year of his parents arrival the second

Not easily.  It would require that every generation of Beeb's ancestors produced the next generation by age 25.

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 11, 2014, 03:52:03 PM

Not easily.  It would require that every generation of Beeb's ancestors produced the next generation by age 25.

We're talking about poor ukrainian immigrants in the early 20th century.  My dad did have me when he was 26, and he took the crazy step of going out and getting a college diploma first.  Plus, I think my dad's family was ukrainian catholic, so maybe no rubbers.  My dad had 4 siblings before my grandmother died (and as I mentioned, another half sibling as a wartime love child).

Savonarola

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 11, 2014, 03:52:03 PM

No, it necessitates that the mean age of reproduction was 25.  If Grandfather Barrister Boy was born when his father was 18, he could have been 32 when Father Barrister Boy was born.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Beenherebefore

This has been helpful to the Ukrainians yearning for liberty.

Mind you, they're 67th generation Ukrainians.
The artist formerly known as Norgy

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Savonarola on March 11, 2014, 04:00:11 PM
No, it necessitates that the mean age of reproduction was 25.  If Grandfather Barrister Boy was born when his father was 18, he could have been 32 when Father Barrister Boy was born.

Kay.