Your Preferred Solution to the Crimean Crisis?

Started by Queequeg, March 11, 2014, 01:13:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you have responded as POTUS or similarly powerful European leader to the Russian invasion of Crimea?

Вставайте, люди русские!  Peremysl and Belostok are Russian cities!
0 (0%)
Let the Russians take Ukraine.  Not our problem.
1 (1.7%)
International process designed to divvy-up Ukraine between a pro-EU West and a Russian east.
9 (15.3%)
Attempt to diffuse expanded conflict, limit involvement in Ukraine in future
2 (3.4%)
Serious sanctions on Russian business interests and oligarchs, stepped-up aid and military relations with Ukraine without full NATO or EU membership.
15 (25.4%)
After Russian annexation of Crimea begin speedy process integration of Ukraine in to NATO and possibly EU
7 (11.9%)
Give all possible immediate aid to Ukraine in an attempt defend the country, make immediately clear that any push past Crimea or in to Donbass will mean war.
13 (22%)
Full Dr. Strangelove; immediate mobilization of NATO forces in attempt to retake Crimea militarily
8 (13.6%)
Other (please specify)
3 (5.1%)
Jaron's Neo Byzantine Empire will soon retake Crimea!
1 (1.7%)

Total Members Voted: 58

Beenherebefore

The artist formerly known as Norgy

Sheilbh

Quote from: Barrister on March 12, 2014, 01:42:24 PM
I have never, ever, heard anyone who supported european integration say that the ultimate goal was to make Europe a "great power". :huh:
That used to be my view, it's part of the French view.

Few combine it with physiocracy though :mellow:
Let's bomb Russia!

Beenherebefore

Some combine it with massive amounts of whisky and call themselves Winston, though.

Europe's time is over. Gone. You Brits, the Spaniards, the French and the Dutch had your moments.

And look where it got us. Global warming, unemployment, an independent America and decolonisation. Useless bunch of grafters you were.

Now it's all China taking over. And communism and Hitler are probably on you as well.
The artist formerly known as Norgy

Barrister

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 12, 2014, 02:44:19 PM
I have never, ever, heard anyone who supported european integration say that the ultimate goal was to make Europe a "great power". :huh:
That used to be my view, it's part of the French view.

Few combine it with physiocracy though :mellow:

That's a new word for me today.  Thanks. :thumbsup:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Siege

Quote from: Queequeg on March 11, 2014, 01:13:56 PM
Inspired by OvB being puzzled by my response.  Going for #5.

Which is number 5?
You didn't place numbers in your choices.
You don't understand the 1st Law of Polling.

Anyway, my choice is:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNG-gYjneeA

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

DGuller

Quote from: derspiess on March 12, 2014, 12:40:54 PM
Quote from: chipwich on March 12, 2014, 12:33:58 PM
Ukraine should sell Crimea for cash. Perhaps be made to, since Ukraine is nearly bankrupt.

That was my idea!  :angry:

But then it's hard to sell something that's already been stolen from you.
:hmm: Mexico managed it.

Josquius

That's (very) old fashioned round hole thinking right there
██████
██████
██████

LaCroix

Quote from: Razgovory on March 12, 2014, 05:08:56 AMBut the Cold War didn't end because both sides fell in love with one another.  It ended when one side just fell apart.

i know. i wasn't trying to say otherwise. that in the end neither side really reconciled their differences, and in part the old cold war mentality remains to this day, makes it even worse

garbon

Is that really true outside a few small circles in each country?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: derspiess on March 12, 2014, 12:40:54 PM
Quote from: chipwich on March 12, 2014, 12:33:58 PM
Ukraine should sell Crimea for cash. Perhaps be made to, since Ukraine is nearly bankrupt.

That was my idea!  :angry:

But then it's hard to sell something that's already been stolen from you.
We paid for California after we stole it, but the Russians just aren't classy enough to do that.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

grumbler

Quote from: Martim Silva on March 12, 2014, 01:33:42 PM
No, it's not 'perfectly fine'.

Remember, we are trying to build a strong Great Power, that can represent European interests in the world without being under the shadow of Washington or Moscow. It wouldn't show great strength to the european peoples if our 'power' resulted in a change of eating habits (like 'less meat' and 'less of a lot of stuff'), even in peacetime. In fact, it would probably anger many people about why are they in the EU in the first place.

Also, we can't be dependent on imports from the other powers if we want to be influent. Otherwise, when we have trouble with Russia, we'd be very dependent on the US. And if we are in a dispute with the US, we'd be at the mercy of Russia. Not a way to go if we want to take our place as a Great Power.

Americans know their country can put food on their table. Russians know this as well. Europeans cannot be sure of it. And that just won't do.

I think the latest patch makes agricultural self-sufficiency much less significant for National Morale.

But I still think you need to start as another power if you want to fulfill the victory condition of "become a Great Power."  That's probably not a realistic goal for the EU player.

QuoteAlso, this is just one problem. We have a lot more, besides the political and economic ones (like need of access to oil, gas, rare minerals and other stuff), and they won't go away soon.

The China player has it even worse than the EU player.  Watch what he does.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Caliga

Thanks, I now have Iron Maiden on the brain. :cool:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Barrister

Quote from: Caliga on March 13, 2014, 01:24:31 PM
Thanks, I now have Iron Maiden on the brain. :cool:

You're supposed to have The Prisoner on the brain after that exchange. :mad:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.