How many people in Quebec are like Viper and Grallon?

Started by Razgovory, August 15, 2013, 06:10:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 19, 2013, 09:40:02 PM
I was going to say something similar about viper's comment, but then i thought to myself, primary and secondary school are mandatory, and English is generally the primary language of instruction, so...

What does that have to do with "anglo-saxon assimilation"?
Can someone explain what this anglo-saxon culture that every American has been assimilated into is?  Without defaulting back to the English language?
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

garbon

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 20, 2013, 09:52:05 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 19, 2013, 09:40:02 PM
I was going to say something similar about viper's comment, but then i thought to myself, primary and secondary school are mandatory, and English is generally the primary language of instruction, so...

What does that have to do with "anglo-saxon assimilation"?
Can someone explain what this anglo-saxon culture that every American has been assimilated into is?  Without defaulting back to the English language?

Well language seems to be the defining factor for at least Viper on what this "unique" culture is in Quebec.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

crazy canuck

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 20, 2013, 09:46:19 AM
Quote from: viper37 on August 19, 2013, 06:26:05 PM
Are Isrealis insecure?  They insist on having their own country where they are the majority.  Once inside the same country with the same laws, I doubt the Palestinian leadership would propose to exterminate all Jews.  Not physically, of course, but given that and identity is simple a stable personality and some basic self-confidence, I don't see the problem.

In an ideal world there could be a single democratic Israelo-Palestinian state where all communities stand on the basis of equality and full political rights, where religion and state are strictly separated and where competition is left to the economic arena.  In reality because of the kind atavistic identity politics that dominate the region, the result would probably look more like Lebanon, at best.

Kind of like the type of society Canada has created which is threatened by the separatists who insist on governing based on the politics of identity - for want of a better phrase.  Tribalism might be a better term - something Grallon has already said is a label he wears with some pride.

Razgovory

Quote from: Grey Fox on August 20, 2013, 09:46:23 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on August 20, 2013, 09:40:14 AM
Quote from: Zoupa on August 20, 2013, 02:48:48 AM
We made babies. That's how.

So do most people, yet many, many languages and cultures have vanished.

We made more. Average in the 1870-1940 is ~10 among French-Canadians.

I thought the British ran the schools.  If they enforced English over 200 years it's hard to see how having more children would prevent the complete erosion of French.  It's hard to imagine that a people with no political rights, a people who are but slaves to the English monarchs can maintain their culture.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Grey Fox

Quote from: Razgovory on August 20, 2013, 10:06:58 AM

I thought the British ran the schools.  If they enforced English over 200 years it's hard to see how having more children would prevent the complete erosion of French.  It's hard to imagine that a people with no political rights, a people who are but slaves to the English monarchs can maintain their culture.

Outside of Quebec, the British ran the schools. Inside Quebec, they were in the charge of the Catholic church for francophones. That's one of the component of the Quebec Act or maybe the Constitutionnal act of 1791.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Grallon

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 20, 2013, 10:05:54 AM

Kind of like the type of society Canada has created which is threatened by the separatists who insist on governing based on the politics of identity - for want of a better phrase.  Tribalism might be a better term - something Grallon has already said is a label he wears with some pride.

Are you really this fucking stupid?!  Or is this just for show?

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Ideologue

So Anglo-Saxons are K-strategists who devote resources to fewer, higher-quality offspring.  So what? :frog: :P
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

crazy canuck

Quote from: Grallon on August 20, 2013, 10:58:34 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on August 20, 2013, 10:05:54 AM

Are you really this fucking stupid?!  Or is this just for show?

G.

As you are on the side of tribalism and intolerance I am very comfortable throwing that question right back at you.

Razgovory

Quote from: Grey Fox on August 20, 2013, 10:46:33 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on August 20, 2013, 10:06:58 AM

Outside of Quebec, the British ran the schools. Inside Quebec, they were in the charge of the Catholic church for francophones. That's one of the component of the Quebec Act or maybe the Constitutionnal act of 1791.

Ah... so perhaps the tyranny wasn't so complete.  Viper compared the plight of Quebec to that of African Americans in the 19th century.  Was there anything like self-governance in Quebec?  Did the people have any kind of civil rights?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Grey Fox

That depends on when. The British gave that & took that different rights at different time until 1931.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Agelastus

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 19, 2013, 01:02:39 PM
Quote from: Agelastus on August 19, 2013, 12:54:51 PM
Moreover, I'm curious. What do you base your identity on if language is not a component of it?

Why is there a need to base one's identity in the first place?  Why not just have a stable personality and some basic self-confidence?

:rolleyes:

Well, I always thought that you were more than just a nameless blank slate, myself; it's sad to be proved wrong about this. :cry:
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Grallon

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 20, 2013, 11:15:42 AM

As you are on the side of tribalism and intolerance I am very comfortable throwing that question right back at you.

Tribalism & intolerance according to your lights.  *Snort*  Who am I kidding!?  You're on the 'right' side aren't you?  So trying to talk some sense into you is like trying to have a rational discussion with a demented Muslim Salafist.

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

garbon

Quote from: Agelastus on August 20, 2013, 05:52:35 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 19, 2013, 01:02:39 PM
Quote from: Agelastus on August 19, 2013, 12:54:51 PM
Moreover, I'm curious. What do you base your identity on if language is not a component of it?

Why is there a need to base one's identity in the first place?  Why not just have a stable personality and some basic self-confidence?

:rolleyes:

Well, I always thought that you were more than just a nameless blank slate, myself; it's sad to be proved wrong about this. :cry:

Yeah sorry but that won't work well when you try and fling mud at one of the pillars of our community.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Btw, Joan, I was watching Twin Peaks last night and they talked about picking up a bottle of sparkling wine. I was like what an immersion breaker, as if these people would distinguish between technical champagne and sparkling wine.

Neil

Quote from: Grallon on August 20, 2013, 06:56:16 PM
Tribalism & intolerance according to your lights.  *Snort*  Who am I kidding!?  You're on the 'right' side aren't you?  So trying to talk some sense into you is like trying to have a rational discussion with a demented Muslim Salafist.
You're the one clinging to a backwards language and culture.  Its people like you who force multiculturalism on the civilized world, and in so doing destroyed it.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.