How many people in Quebec are like Viper and Grallon?

Started by Razgovory, August 15, 2013, 06:10:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Razgovory on August 19, 2013, 06:37:18 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 19, 2013, 05:54:16 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on August 19, 2013, 05:43:37 PM
Under siege from from who?  Haven't you already given up your national identity?  After all, you aren't hardcore Catholic.

And you aren't a Baptist.

And?

You live in a Protestant country. While as in northern Europe this means that most people don't really believe or go to church anymore, they're skipping church, not mass.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Neil

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 19, 2013, 01:02:39 PM
Quote from: Agelastus on August 19, 2013, 12:54:51 PM
Moreover, I'm curious. What do you base your identity on if language is not a component of it?
Why is there a need to base one's identity in the first place?  Why not just have a stable personality and some basic self-confidence?
You realize that you sound like some ultra-right wing crazy going on about how it's a bad thing that weak people can't look after themselves and need a handout, right?  Even not taking mental illness into account, you sound like a complete ass when you say things like that.

Guess what, some people don't feel good about themselves.  That is completely unavoidable, as we live in societies that are built to grind people down, and there are so many who don't have much to begin with.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

viper37

Quote from: garbon on August 19, 2013, 06:42:28 PM
I think you should stay away from comparisons as they clearly aren't your strong suit. Sort of like Marti with analogies.
Israelis want their country to be a Jewish state, whith all that implies.  Their fear is not physical destruction from the Palestinians, it is cultural domination.
But here, you're all to say it's silly to have group-based differences.  It's 19th century, it's a lack of self-confidence, etc, etc.
It seems to apply... oh, I'll use the word "differently", from one state to another.  Heck, even among the US, lots of States could merge together.  Why don't they?  Why even bother with a state level government after all?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Razgovory

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 19, 2013, 07:19:13 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on August 19, 2013, 06:37:18 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 19, 2013, 05:54:16 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on August 19, 2013, 05:43:37 PM
Under siege from from who?  Haven't you already given up your national identity?  After all, you aren't hardcore Catholic.

And you aren't a Baptist.

And?

You live in a Protestant country. While as in northern Europe this means that most people don't really believe or go to church anymore, they're skipping church, not mass.

The single largest denomination in the US is Catholic.  :contract: But that's beside the point, Protestantism has never been one of the identifying features of American nationality.  On the other hand, Catholicism has long been part of the identity Quebec.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Quote from: viper37 on August 19, 2013, 07:25:48 PM
I think you should stay away from comparisons as they clearly aren't your strong suit. Sort of like Marti with analogies.
Israelis want their country to be a Jewish state, whith all that implies.  Their fear is not physical destruction from the Palestinians, it is cultural domination.
But here, you're all to say it's silly to have group-based differences.  It's 19th century, it's a lack of self-confidence, etc, etc.
It seems to apply... oh, I'll use the word "differently", from one state to another.  Heck, even among the US, lots of States could merge together.  Why don't they?  Why even bother with a state level government after all?

:lol:  That is hilarious!
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Razgovory on August 19, 2013, 07:29:43 PM
The single largest denomination in the US is Catholic.  :contract: But that's beside the point, Protestantism has never been one of the identifying features of American nationality.  On the other hand, Catholicism has long been part of the identity Quebec.

French Catholicism has never had the same fervor as the Mediterraneans.

Razgovory

:secret: France is a Mediterranean country.  Besides we were talking about Quebec.

garbon

Quote from: viper37 on August 19, 2013, 07:25:48 PM

I have no idea what you are trying to say. I also don't know why you are discounting out violence in the Middle East.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Razgovory on August 19, 2013, 07:38:12 PM
:secret: France is a Mediterranean country.  Besides we were talking about Quebec.

Quebec's culture stems from France even more strongly than ours does from Britain.

viper37

Quote from: garbon on August 19, 2013, 07:38:17 PM
I have no idea what you are trying to say.
I'm saying that it doesn't seem to be a problem for other countries in the world to base mostly based on one cultural group.  Nobody calls them racists.  Nobody calls them nazis.  When it comes to Quebec, everything seems different.  I'm trying to understand why.  France has banned most religious symbols to preserve cultural unity.  United States had a practice of forced assimilation for all non anglo-saxon ethnic groups until they were made irrelevant.  Canada did the same.  Nobody calls them nazis for this.  Yet, all we do, is ask that people living here learn our language.  And we got editorials comparing us to Nazis.  We got people complaining about human rights violation given credits in canadian medias.  We are called intolerant whenever some non "pure-laine" wacko decides to shoot people.

But it's considered "a valid criticism of Quebec's policies".

I also don't know why you are discounting out violence in the Middle East.
I'm not.  But there does not seem to be any problem with the majority of Israeli-Arabs.  I don't see why Israel wouldn't even consider a one state solution, based on mutual respect.  Since it's silly to have seperate states for different cultures.  Or are you in disagreement with the other comments about ethnic nationalism, 19th century ideology and "all it takes is self confidence" ?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Razgovory

Razgovory

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 19, 2013, 07:48:15 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on August 19, 2013, 07:38:12 PM

Quebec's culture stems from France even more strongly than ours does from Britain.

Quebec lost it's ties to France before the enforced secularism of the French Republic.  Though there is an interesting observation here, we hear a lot of whining about British colonialism, but perhaps the problem isn't colonialism but colonialism from the wrong country.  Perhaps the Nationalists really just want to be part of France or France Jr rather then have their own unique culture.

Eddie Teach

French culture has always been relatively secular.

Razgovory

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 19, 2013, 08:38:05 PM
French culture has always been relatively secular.

That must be why they had all those crusades.

Eddie Teach