How many people in Quebec are like Viper and Grallon?

Started by Razgovory, August 15, 2013, 06:10:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 19, 2013, 01:02:39 PM
Quote from: Agelastus on August 19, 2013, 12:54:51 PM
Moreover, I'm curious. What do you base your identity on if language is not a component of it?

Why is there a need to base one's identity in the first place?  Why not just have a stable personality and some basic self-confidence?
Are Isrealis insecure?  They insist on having their own country where they are the majority.  Once inside the same country with the same laws, I doubt the Palestinian leadership would propose to exterminate all Jews.  Not physically, of course, but given that and identity is simple a stable personality and some basic self-confidence, I don't see the problem.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

viper37

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 19, 2013, 02:52:21 PM
But if your sense of who you are extends beyond your sexuality, it seems limiting to focus just at that aspect.
I was once told you can't seperate one's sexual orientation from the rest.  And the annual gay pride aims at reminding us that it is something important for many of them.  Still don't get that, but I'm at least willing to be open minded.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

garbon

Quote from: viper37 on August 19, 2013, 06:30:34 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 19, 2013, 02:52:21 PM
But if your sense of who you are extends beyond your sexuality, it seems limiting to focus just at that aspect.
I was once told you can't seperate one's sexual orientation from the rest.  And the annual gay pride aims at reminding us that it is something important for many of them.  Still don't get that, but I'm at least willing to be open minded.

:huh:

Gay pride aims to be a party for gay people and a chance to hookup with hot strangers wearing skimpy outfits.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

viper37

Quote from: HVC on August 19, 2013, 06:31:17 PM
Lol what, Canada is Hamas now?
Hamas is a problem because they have many supporters in the occupied territories and the refugee camps.  Once those camps disbanded, once the standard of living for Palestinians and Israelis is similar, these groups will lost a lot of their appeal.

They might however, insist Israel becomes an arab state.  Arab language predominance, sharia based laws, no priviledges ot jewish communities when extending settlements, etc, etc.  Nothing that self confidence can't overcome :)

Razgovory

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 19, 2013, 05:54:16 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on August 19, 2013, 05:43:37 PM
Under siege from from who?  Haven't you already given up your national identity?  After all, you aren't hardcore Catholic.

And you aren't a Baptist.

And?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

viper37

Quote from: garbon on August 19, 2013, 06:34:27 PM

Gay pride aims to be a party for gay people and a chance to hookup with hot strangers wearing skimpy outfits.
I didn't realize it was limited to a single event.
Usually, it's initiation day at college/university that serves this purpose  :P

viper37

Quote from: garbon on August 19, 2013, 06:29:24 PM
No one warned me about rockets in Canada.
if everyone lives in the same state, with the same rights, why is there needs for rocket?

garbon

Quote from: viper37 on August 19, 2013, 06:37:59 PM
Quote from: garbon on August 19, 2013, 06:34:27 PM

I didn't realize it was limited to a single event.

It isn't - for one there is a whole pride month. Then you got your different types of subgroup prides like leather pride and bear pride.

At any rate though, we've discussed this before. In the West the only purpose of pride is to have a party.

garbon

Quote from: viper37 on August 19, 2013, 06:40:25 PM
if everyone lives in the same state, with the same rights, why is there needs for rocket?

I think you should stay away from comparisons as they clearly aren't your strong suit. Sort of like Marti with analogies.

Razgovory

Quote from: viper37 on August 19, 2013, 06:35:12 PM
Quote from: HVC on August 19, 2013, 06:31:17 PM
Lol what, Canada is Hamas now?
Hamas is a problem because they have many supporters in the occupied territories and the refugee camps.  Once those camps disbanded, once the standard of living for Palestinians and Israelis is similar, these groups will lost a lot of their appeal.

They might however, insist Israel becomes an arab state.  Arab language predominance, sharia based laws, no priviledges ot jewish communities when extending settlements, etc, etc.  Nothing that self confidence can't overcome :)

Hamas is a problem because they kill people.  The Palestinians living in camps aren't interested in becoming part of Israel.  They are interested in their own country.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Maximus

Quote from: viper37 on August 19, 2013, 06:26:05 PM
Are Isrealis insecure?  They insist on having their own country where they are the majority.
They sure as hell were when they created that country.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Maximus on August 19, 2013, 07:00:51 PM
Quote from: viper37 on August 19, 2013, 06:26:05 PM
Are Isrealis insecure?  They insist on having their own country where they are the majority.
They sure as hell were when they created that country.

They still haven't gotten over it.  As if the Jewish Mother and Nice Jewish Boy memes weren't insecure enough.

Razgovory

Quote from: garbon on August 19, 2013, 06:42:28 PM
Quote from: viper37 on August 19, 2013, 06:40:25 PM

I think you should stay away from comparisons as they clearly aren't your strong suit. Sort of like Marti with analogies.

They are amusing.