How many people in Quebec are like Viper and Grallon?

Started by Razgovory, August 15, 2013, 06:10:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Neil on August 15, 2013, 11:10:24 PM
Viper est bien un raciste, oui?  C'est normal au Québec, car ils sont tous des nazis.

Corrigé pour toi !

Grallon

Quote from: Neil on August 20, 2013, 11:31:06 PM
You're the one clinging to a backwards language and culture.  Its people like you who force multiculturalism on the civilized world, and in so doing destroyed it.

:yeahright:  This is a bit much - even by your own considerable trolling standards.

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Razgovory

From the Anglo point of view, indulging your Quebec nationalism is multiculturalism. 
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Savonarola

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 20, 2013, 09:52:05 AM
What does that have to do with "anglo-saxon assimilation"?
Can someone explain what this anglo-saxon culture that every American has been assimilated into is?  Without defaulting back to the English language?

Love of Reality Television, Coca-Cola, Disney, Adam Sandler movies, muscle cars, Pringles, Starbucks, The Olive Garden...

;)

In the 19th Century Richard Henry Pratt forced captured Plains Indians to learn English, useful trades, and Protestant religion and to wear western style clothes in order that they would assimilate into American culture.  Viper is wrong in that forced assimilation was not the norm; most immigrants learned English and adopted western style dress to get ahead.  Forced assimilation did occur with African slaves and some natives; so it's unfair to completely dismiss it.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Barrister

Quote from: Savonarola on August 26, 2013, 02:18:51 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 20, 2013, 09:52:05 AM
What does that have to do with "anglo-saxon assimilation"?
Can someone explain what this anglo-saxon culture that every American has been assimilated into is?  Without defaulting back to the English language?

Love of Reality Television, Coca-Cola, Disney, Adam Sandler movies, muscle cars, Pringles, Starbucks, The Olive Garden...

;)

In the 19th Century Richard Henry Pratt forced captured Plains Indians to learn English, useful trades, and Protestant religion and to wear western style clothes in order that they would assimilate into American culture.  Viper is wrong in that forced assimilation was not the norm; most immigrants learned English and adopted western style dress to get ahead.  Forced assimilation did occur with African slaves and some natives; so it's unfair to completely dismiss it.

Such forced assimilation of native peoples went on until the mid to late 20th century.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Barrister on August 26, 2013, 02:23:31 PM
Such forced assimilation of native peoples went on until the mid to late 20th century.

You talking about the US or Canada?

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 26, 2013, 02:29:50 PM
Quote from: Barrister on August 26, 2013, 02:23:31 PM

You talking about the US or Canada?

I'm more familiar with Canada, but I'm led to believe the same kinds of things were going on in the US till the 60s or so.  Native languages or ceremonies being banned, forced learning of english, various means used to encourage natives to leave reserves.

The Brain

Like in Eurabia today. Btw, do you guys ever ask permission before channeling slarg?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

crazy canuck

What I want to know, are there enough people in Quebec that think like Grallon to make the Charter of Values politically saleable in Quebec?

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 26, 2013, 02:45:24 PM
What I want to know, are there enough people in Quebec that think like Grallon to make the Charter of Values politically saleable in Quebec?

Reports are that 65% of Francophones approve of it - however when asked to list their priorities it is something like 15th.

It's the kind of thing that unless you're a lawyer and think about the constitution every day it sounds good if you don't think very hard about it.

The reaction has been negative enough that the PQ is certainly not going to pass this suggestion as-is (which was likely why it was launched as a trial balloon to begin with).  But they are almost certainly gong to pass something that discriminates against sikhs and muslims, but now they'll present themselves as being more "moderate" because it doesn't go as far as they had first suggested.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on August 26, 2013, 03:03:02 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on August 26, 2013, 02:45:24 PM

Reports are that 65% of Francophones approve of it - however when asked to list their priorities it is something like 15th.

That is what I was wondering.  If only 65% of Francophone support it to some degree that means that 35% of Francophones along with close to 100% of everyone else doesnt.  How does that help the separatist cause?  Aren't immigrants more than likely to oppose separation if they fear that a separate Quebec would become an even more intolerant place to live than it is now?

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Grey Fox on August 26, 2013, 03:15:35 PM
Not every non francophone is a Muslim.

No, but I am willing to bet that non francophones have no reason to be discriminatory either.  Although I have to admit I dont fully understand it in the francophones other than being a crass appeal to the worst aspects of a tribalist instinct that Grallon often expresses.

Grey Fox

:rolleyes:

In the last decade, we made too many compromises, that's how way to back out of them.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Grey Fox on August 26, 2013, 04:41:42 PM
:rolleyes:

In the last decade, we made too many compromises, that's how way to back out of them.

I am not sure what you mean.  The government ought to have cracked down on religious freedom a long time ago?