How many people in Quebec are like Viper and Grallon?

Started by Razgovory, August 15, 2013, 06:10:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berkut

Quote from: viper37 on August 19, 2013, 08:07:08 PM
  United States had a practice of forced assimilation for all non anglo-saxon ethnic groups until they were made irrelevant.

:lmfao:
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Grey Fox

Quote from: Berkut on August 19, 2013, 09:07:48 PM
  United States had a practice of forced assimilation for all non anglo-saxon ethnic groups until they were made irrelevant.

What? He's right. Well, except for the irrevelant part, you guys never achieved that.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

garbon

Quote from: Grey Fox on August 19, 2013, 09:36:30 PM

What? He's right. Well, except for the irrevelant part, you guys never achieved that.

Even if one was to be so generous as to grant his proposition, why is viper so quick to compare his ideas to bigots in Texas and outmoded terrible ideas?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

I was going to say something similar about viper's comment, but then i thought to myself, primary and secondary school are mandatory, and English is generally the primary language of instruction, so...

Razgovory

Quote from: Grey Fox on August 19, 2013, 09:36:30 PM

I wasn't aware my ancestors were forced into assimilation.  Assimilation just sort of happened over several generation.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

dps

Quote from: viper37 on August 19, 2013, 07:25:48 PM
Quote from: garbon on August 19, 2013, 06:42:28 PM
I think you should stay away from comparisons as they clearly aren't your strong suit. Sort of like Marti with analogies.
Israelis want their country to be a Jewish state, whith all that implies.  Their fear is not physical destruction from the Palestinians, it is cultural domination.

I'd say that they fear both, but the threat of physical destruction is the more immediate threat.

Berkut

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 19, 2013, 09:40:02 PM
I was going to say something similar about viper's comment, but then i thought to myself, primary and secondary school are mandatory, and English is generally the primary language of instruction, so...

Yeah, it was one of those idiotic comments that of course can be defended on some narrow interpretation that has little to do with what was actually said...
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Razgovory

To be honest I find the nationalism espoused by grallon and viper to be repulsive, mostly because it's manipulative, two-faced and dishonest.  They demand compliance in the official bilingualism from the their anglophone neighbors but have absolutely no interest in that same bilingualism in Quebec.  This "bilingualism for you, monolingualism for me" seems inherently dishonest.  They seem absolutely paranoid that someone in Anglophone Canada is somewhere being critical of them, yet go on and on about the evil Anglos and their colonial imperialism.  One wonders how Quebec managed to maintain it's French language at all in the face of the the overwhelming tyranny of British rule for over two centuries.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Zoupa

Ideologue

Quote from: garbon on August 19, 2013, 06:41:23 PM
Quote from: viper37 on August 19, 2013, 06:37:59 PM
Quote from: garbon on August 19, 2013, 06:34:27 PM
:huh:

Gay pride aims to be a party for gay people and a chance to hookup with hot strangers wearing skimpy outfits.
I didn't realize it was limited to a single event.

It isn't - for one there is a whole pride month. Then you got your different types of subgroup prides like leather pride and bear pride.

At any rate though, we've discussed this before. In the West the only purpose of pride is to have a party.

Can heterosexuals have a party? :(
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

Quote from: Zoupa on August 20, 2013, 02:48:48 AM
We made babies. That's how.

So do most people, yet many, many languages and cultures have vanished.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: viper37 on August 19, 2013, 06:26:05 PM
Are Isrealis insecure?  They insist on having their own country where they are the majority.  Once inside the same country with the same laws, I doubt the Palestinian leadership would propose to exterminate all Jews.  Not physically, of course, but given that and identity is simple a stable personality and some basic self-confidence, I don't see the problem.

In an ideal world there could be a single democratic Israelo-Palestinian state where all communities stand on the basis of equality and full political rights, where religion and state are strictly separated and where competition is left to the economic arena.  In reality because of the kind atavistic identity politics that dominate the region, the result would probably look more like Lebanon, at best.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Grey Fox

Quote from: Razgovory on August 20, 2013, 09:40:14 AM
Quote from: Zoupa on August 20, 2013, 02:48:48 AM
We made babies. That's how.

So do most people, yet many, many languages and cultures have vanished.

We made more. Average in the 1870-1940 is ~10 among French-Canadians.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.