How many people in Quebec are like Viper and Grallon?

Started by Razgovory, August 15, 2013, 06:10:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grallon

One would imagine patriotism is something American would understand - maybe not cave rats like Raz but the others should be able to grasp the concept.

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

garbon

Quote from: Grallon on August 16, 2013, 11:14:39 AM
One would imagine patriotism is something American would understand - maybe not cave rats like Raz but the others should be able to grasp the concept.

G.

If it isn't California or NYC, let it sink into the ocean!
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ideologue

And I'm a statist, and find separatism in a utopia like Canada to be so stupid as to be monstrously evil.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

crazy canuck

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 16, 2013, 10:13:49 AM
Viper and grallon are alike?

Generally no.  But if you have been reading some of Viper's posts over the last couple days you might be forgiven if you thought Grallon had hacked his account.

Capetan Mihali

"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

dps

G.

Yeah, but in American terms, Parti Quebecois is a bunch of Jefferson Davis wannabes.

viper37

Quote from: dps on August 17, 2013, 06:20:50 PM
Yeah, but in American terms, Parti Quebecois is a bunch of Jefferson Davis wannabes.
You don't need to be a PQ car carrying member to be patriotic.  Do you think the GOP members watching Fox News are the only ones with patriotic feelings in the US?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

PDH

Quote from: viper37 on August 17, 2013, 07:34:12 PM
Do you think the GOP members watching Fox News are the only ones with patriotic feelings in the US?

Wait, according to them or according to someone with a brain?
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Razgovory

Quote from: dps on August 17, 2013, 06:20:50 PM
You don't need to be a PQ car carrying member to be patriotic.  Do you think the GOP members watching Fox News are the only ones with patriotic feelings in the US?

Patriots in the country seldom wish to destroy it.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

Ethnic nationalism is a fringe concept in the US.

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

viper37

Quote from: PDH on August 17, 2013, 08:04:46 PM
Do you think the GOP members watching Fox News are the only ones with patriotic feelings in the US?

Wait, according to them or according to someone with a brain?
according to them, they are the only ones.  Just like many PQ supporters seems to think, actually ;)

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 17, 2013, 09:55:13 PM

Ethnic nationalism is a fringe concept in the US.
there's no practical difference between american patriotism and quebec nationalism.  Quebec nationalism isn't "ethnic" by nature, more cultural and territorial.  I'd say it's inclusive, but for those to who it's an insult to be called Québécois.

You can adapt to a culture.  You can learn a language.  You can be a part of a society.  Or you can make the willing choice of living apart.  Like the Shafia family did, never accepting their daughters tolerance of occidental culture.  But it's a choice you make. 

However, when it comes to ethnic nationalism, such as practiced by KKK and other racist groups, you can't chose to be of another skin color or ethnic background.

If some people can not see the difference between Quebec nationalists and KKK, I can not do anything for you.  I am not the one to cure blindness, especially when it is voluntary.

Neil

"L'argent et les votes ethniques"

Quebec nationalism is about as exclusionary as you can get.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

viper37

Quote from: Neil on August 17, 2013, 10:17:27 PM
"L'argent et les votes ethniques"

Quebec nationalism is about as exclusionary as you can get.
Ramblings from one drunk guy who resigned from his job the day after.  In Canada, such a politician would be given a job at the PMO or the Senate.
Let's make comparisons:
Anti-Quebec sentiment

QuoteGraham Fraser, an English Canadian journalist noted for his sympathy for Quebec, has tempered both sides. "This phenomenon (of English Canadian Francophobia) exists, I do not doubt it; I have read enough of Alberta Report to know that there are people that think bilingualism is a conspiracy against English Canadians to guarantee jobs for Quebecers — who are all bilingual, anyway.", he wrote. "I have heard enough call-in radio shows to know that these sentiments of fear and rage are not confined to the Canadian west. But I do not think these anti-francophone prejudices dominate the Canadian culture."[110] Fraser, in fact, was himself named as Canada's new Official Languages Commissioner in September 2006.

Even Stephen Harper things that Jane Wong's piece was not just "a simple critic of Quebec's policies".

And you got the reports of the OCOL about compliance with the law on official languages and the status of French in Canada.  Year after years, it seems the same to me.
http://www.ocol-clo.gc.ca/html/publications_e.php

I will never understand these insistance at keeping two official languages yet doing everything to undermine its application.  Wouldn't it be so simpler for Canada to ditch the policy and stop pretending they care?