How many people in Quebec are like Viper and Grallon?

Started by Razgovory, August 15, 2013, 06:10:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Maximus on August 19, 2013, 01:15:30 PM
Regardless: if -using your first post again- langauge isn't a basis for identity then all these people migrating to countries where people speak other langages will gladly and enthousiastically adapt. After all, it's only language. Right?!
Right. What's your point?

I forget Crazy's main language but I think, if we use the Quebec example, he's saying that it is unreasonable for people who speak English to refuse to learn French and live in Quebec. If language is such a small thing, why do they not adapt?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 19, 2013, 01:02:39 PM
Quote from: Agelastus on August 19, 2013, 12:54:51 PM
Moreover, I'm curious. What do you base your identity on if language is not a component of it?

Why is there a need to base one's identity in the first place?  Why not just have a stable personality and some basic self-confidence?

:o

I should base my identity in my sexuality?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

crazy canuck

Quote from: garbon on August 19, 2013, 01:55:02 PM
Moreover, I'm curious. What do you base your identity on if language is not a component of it?

Why is there a need to base one's identity in the first place?  Why not just have a stable personality and some basic self-confidence?

Are you saying you dont have a stable personality and some basic self-confidence? :hmm:

mongers

No, your posting style would be more apposite.   :P
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

garbon

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 19, 2013, 01:56:33 PM

Are you saying you dont have a stable personality and some basic self-confidence? :hmm:

:goodboy:

garbon

Quote from: mongers on August 19, 2013, 01:59:06 PM

No, your posting style would be more apposite.   :P

Pot, kettle?

garbon

Btw, I actually had meant to say:

I shouldn't base my identity in my sexuality?

:blush:

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: garbon on August 19, 2013, 02:09:16 PM
Btw, I actually had meant to say:

I shouldn't base my identity in my sexuality?

:blush:

Do what you want to do.  But if your sense of who you are extends beyond your sexuality, it seems limiting to focus just at that aspect.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

garbon

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Minsky Moment

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

viper37

Quote from: Maximus on August 19, 2013, 12:35:55 PM
sorry. It's not the 19th century anymore. People have figured out how useless nationalism is.
Nonetheless, the majority is never willing to ditch their language for another and will always resist whenever it feels threatened.  Curious, no?  Shouldn't it work both ways?  Otherwise, it is imperialism.  Make the world British and all that ;)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Maximus

Sure, using a language you are less than perfectly familiar with is hard. There is a resistance to doing hard things. Nothing curious about that. What is curious is the desire to force a particular language use for purposes other than to facilitate communication.

Razgovory

Quote from: Grallon on August 19, 2013, 10:58:45 AM
Quote from: dps on August 19, 2013, 05:22:56 AM
Quote from: Maximus on August 18, 2013, 11:45:53 PM
Language is far more trivial than ideas.

And a hell of a lot more trivial than human chattel slavery.

Language is fundamental to some peoples' identity - and identity, its survival, its protection, its continuation - are anything but trivial.  You both express that point of view because your own native language isn't under siege.  By the same token it's been a big fad in France, for many years now, to use all sorts of english words and expressions - they feel secure enough to do so.  See my point?

In any case we will not give up who we are to please foreigners.  And if that makes us racists and tribalists and whatever other slurs you can come up with then so be it. *shrug* 

G.

Under siege from from who?  Haven't you already given up your national identity?  After all, you aren't hardcore Catholic.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Razgovory on August 19, 2013, 05:43:37 PM
Under siege from from who?  Haven't you already given up your national identity?  After all, you aren't hardcore Catholic.

And you aren't a Baptist.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?