What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on July 22, 2019, 04:20:46 PM
Trump reported today he could easily win the Afghanistan War in a week. Bold implications considering he's been President for 2.5 years.

Trade wars are also easy to win. 

Admiral Yi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qowlSV-nPG4

It's a personality cult.

Trump shows up at MAGA themed wedding in Jersey.

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 20, 2019, 05:11:43 PM
Quote from: frunk on July 20, 2019, 04:19:56 PM
Do you think Trump would say the same thing about Pelosi, Clinton, Biden or Sanders?  He has said pretty much the same thing about Obama.  What's the difference I wonder.

Aren't the targets of Trump's ire all more or less Off The Boat?  Seems to me the more appropriate charge is anti-immigrant....ism, rather than racism.

He's OK with the Norwegians, I suspect that's not due to his craving for lutefisk.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Savonarola

From the New York Time:

QuoteDemand Governor's Resignation
Hundreds of thousands of people have joined the protests to push for the ouster of Gov. Ricardo A. Rosselló.

Protesters filled a highway, demanding the governor's resignation.

SAN JUAN, P.R. — Hundreds of thousands of Puerto Ricans filled miles of a major highway in San Juan on Monday in protest against Gov. Ricardo A. Rosselló, who has resisted persistent calls for his resignation, in what appeared to be one of the largest demonstrations the island has seen.

The highway, Expreso Las Américas, teemed with people who carried Puerto Rican flags, waved protest signs and chanted to demand the removal of Mr. Rosselló, who said on Sunday that he would not seek re-election in 2020 but would stay in office through his current term — and face possible impeachment.

Monday's protest paralyzed San Juan, although it was not clear if organizers had reached their goal of drawing a million people — about a third of the island's population — to the highway.

As the crowd on the highway thinned in the afternoon, people once again packed the street in front of the governor's mansion, amassing in front of the same barricade where they have gathered for more than a week.

A series of scandalous text messages touched off the demonstrations.
Protests against Mr. Rosselló began more than a week ago, after the publication of 889 pages of a leaked group chat between the governor and his closest aides. Besides being offensive, the messages revealed a cozy relationship between the governor and former staff members who now represent special interests.

The crude messages were the final straw for Puerto Ricans who have suffered for years because of economic austerity measures and the devastation of Hurricane Maria.

President Trump called the governor 'terrible.'
"The people of Puerto Rico like me, but the leadership is corrupt and incompetent," Mr. Trump said during an appearance at the White House with the prime minister of Pakistan on Monday.

The president warned that leaders in Washington were wary of sending aid to Mr. Rosselló's administration — a reason some members of the governor's own party have cited to demand his resignation.

"The senators are not happy about it, and Congress is not happy about it," Mr. Trump said.

Even though many Puerto Ricans agree that their government is flawed, they tend to consider Mr. Trump's criticism offensive.

The president cited his experience holding the Miss Universe pageant twice on the island as evidence that he has "many Puerto Rican friends."

"I have a real understanding of Puerto Rico," he said. "I'm the best thing that ever happened to Puerto Rico."

Mr. Rosselló continued to defend himself in a tough interview.
Perhaps in an attempt to speak directly to Mr. Trump, the governor appeared on Fox News on Monday afternoon, where the anchor Shepard Smith pressed him on his lost support: "You're a man on an island by yourself. How long can you stay there?"

"My commitment is to follow through on some of the efforts that I established for the people of Puerto Rico," Mr. Rosselló said in his first one-on-one interview since the political crisis began.

Asked to list the people who still back him, the governor mentioned only the mayor of rural San Sebastián, Javier Jiménez — who later said Mr. Rosselló was mistaken. Mr. Jiménez wrote on Facebook that he has not asked for the governor's resignation only because he backs the Legislature's taking steps toward impeachment.

Mr. Rosselló, who was freshly shaven for the appearance after months of having a beard, argued that his administration has already taken steps to combat corruption.

"We need to fix the system," he said.

Rain showers did not deter the crowds.
Julianna Pérez and her sister, Manuela Hernández, were soaked from the rain that fell on protesters, but they said they felt invigorated by the demonstration.

"This is a new generation," said Ms. Pérez, 24. "We are showing them that we want things done differently. We are going to eliminate partisan politics."

She said the governor had to answer for a series of debacles, including the number of people who died after the hurricane, education funds that were steered toward favorite contractors and storm aid that went to waste.

The sisters woke up at 4 a.m. to hit the road from Ponce, in the southern part of Puerto Rico. Ms. Pérez and Ms. Hernández are convinced their journey was worth it.

"This is going to be marked in history," Ms. Pérez said. Her sister finished her sentence: "In the history of Puerto Rico, there will be a before and after: before and after this moment."

Estefany Bermúdez, a student, said she had never attended a protest before. She was struck by the sea of people that stretched across the highway, even in the pouring rain. People danced and sang under the downpour.

"We have to defend our rights," Ms. Bermúdez said. "We voted for him, and he didn't do his job well, so now he has to hear us. Now they have to hear us all over the world."

Music stars, truckers and students — the protests are drawing people from all walks of life.
Attending the march on Monday were Puerto Ricans not only from municipalities across the island but also from the vast Puerto Rican diaspora, returning to the island to join the protests.

There were retirees, college students, waiters, electricians, truckers — groups that sometimes protest separately but rarely, if ever, together. Some marchers shared sandwiches to keep their energy up under the blazing sun. The heat index was forecast to exceed 100 degrees.

Ruth Vélez, a 62-year-old retiree, said that Hurricane Maria destroyed her house in the municipality of Bayamón, and that the government's reconstruction program turned her down for help.

"I lived in that house for 30 years," she said. "Now I'm on the street."

The artists Bad Bunny, Ricky Martin, Ednita Nazario, Residente and Olga Tañón joined the crowd. Under a banner reading "#RickyGameOver, "Ms. Tañón belted out a rendition of "Preciosa," a well-known patriotic Puerto Rican song. A moment of silence was held for the hurricane victims.

Near the front of the march, protesters held a white banner with black letters that spelled out a message for the governor, "#RickyRenuncia" and "#NiCorruptosNiCobardes" — Neither the corrupt nor the cowardly.

Marchers yelled, "Ricky, ¡renuncia, el pueblo te repudia!" — Ricky, resign, the people reject you.

'We are not quitting,' rapper says
Among the headliners at Monday's protest was the rapper René Pérez, known as Residente. He put his work on a new single on hold and flew here from Los Angeles, sharing a flight with Ricky Martin.

He attended the protest perched on a white truck, with Mr. Martin riding on top. Also on board were the singers Bad Bunny, Kany García and Ednita Nazario. The Olympic wrestler Jaime Espinal was also on board, but the loudest chants from the crowd went to the boxer Felix Trinidad, known as Tito.

Mr. Pérez said it was exciting to see such a large mass of people, especially young people. Mr. Pérez, who has supported independence for Puerto Rico, said that by hanging on to power, the governor was trying to break the protests by provoking violence. He acknowledged that the protesters risk hurting the economy and turning off supporters.

"He is playing a game to see who quits first," Mr. Pérez said in an interview. "We are not quitting. We are in this for all the time that it takes."

Mr. Pérez said the protests were giving life to a new wave of activism.

"We have to reform everything," he said. "We have to create a new party, with new names. The people are asking for something new. We have to change it."

Mr. Pérez, his sister iLe and the singer Bad Bunny produced a song last week that was a brutal takedown of the governor. It has nearly 5 million views on YouTube in less than one week.

"The people," Mr. Pérez said, "want to start over from zero."

I'm posting this here due to Trump's comments.  At the same interview he also opened fire on Carmen Yulín Cruz (the Mayor of San Juan) and was much more critical of her than he was of Roselló.  According to ABC he called her both "Grossly incompetent" and "A horror show;" (the latter reminded me of "A Clockwork Orange.")

I'm still amazed at how Trump can take any issue, an crisis, anything and make it all about himself; not that he does it, but how well he does it.  Geniuses are geniuses (and crackpots are crackpots) because they can form connections that most people cannot.  So far as such a thing can exist; Trump is a genius of narcissism.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Savonarola on July 23, 2019, 12:58:09 PM

I'm posting this here due to Trump's comments.  At the same interview he also opened fire on Carmen Yulín Cruz (the Mayor of San Juan) and was much more critical of her than he was of Roselló. 

Not surprising that he sympathizes with the obvious crook.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Admiral Yi

Did you delete your Nazi OK sign post Timmy?

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 23, 2019, 09:20:45 PM

Yeah, I decided that there was some ambiguity. He did say AOC + 3 at the time, so some could he was just showing three fingers for that (not that I buy that), but I didn't feel like arguing about it.

So, I deleted it.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Admiral Yi

Mike Esper is the new SecDef. :uncertain:

derspiess

Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 23, 2019, 09:31:58 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 23, 2019, 09:20:45 PM

Yeah, I decided that there was some ambiguity. He did say AOC + 3 at the time, so some could he was just showing three fingers for that (not that I buy that), but I didn't feel like arguing about it.

So, I deleted it.

:XD:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Admiral Yi

I just found out that an impeachment vote was held after Sendthemhomegate. It got 92 votes.

Oexmelin

Apparently, when Trump talked before the Trumpian Youths recently, the organization used a mock seal they must have found on the internet to welcome him. It featured the Russian imperial eagle, golf clubs in its talons, and the motto "45 is a puppet" in Spanish.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2019/07/25/trump-appears-altered-presidential-seal-turning-point-usa-event/1824386001/
Que le grand cric me croque !

Syt

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/07/25/politics/justice-department-capital-punishment-barr/index.html

QuoteBarr directs federal government to resume capital punishment, schedule the execution of 5 death row inmates
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.