What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

I mean I certainly favor trying to get all the nations interests bound to each other and encourage the free (-ish) movement of people and capital. Because I like peace and prosperity.

But he seems to be combining a whole slate of different ideas and trying to portray them as all being the same people. I certainly am huge about identifying with family and tradition and place and all that. But I guess I don't see how those are inconsistent with the others, yet he claims they are the same thing or that I am part of some kind of class that identifies ourselves as some group. There is no thing.

Ah well. Sucks to be an enemy of the people.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Eddie Teach on July 18, 2019, 11:33:41 PM
I think it's great that there's a Republican ready to take on Wall Street and big corporate interests.  :)

Ok. But how? What is the political plan? Tweets?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Syt

Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 18, 2019, 11:03:58 PM
A speech from the new senator from Missouri that looks like it could be a direct translation of Goebbels

https://twitter.com/jbouie/status/1152035476804472832

The opening reads very similar to rants by right wing European parties and their rhetoric against "globalist elites", "world citizens",  etc
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Valmy on July 18, 2019, 11:45:33 PM
I think it's great that there's a Republican ready to take on Wall Street and big corporate interests.  :)

I was being sarcastic. He'll probably vote with the rest of his party.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Tamas

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 18, 2019, 06:57:13 PM
Quote from: Benedict Arnold on July 18, 2019, 06:37:10 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 18, 2019, 12:56:47 PM
AOC actually votes with Trump on some stuff - there about 20% in agreement on votes this year, on the higher end for a Democrat.  He is objectively probably better off with someone like her than a generic Bronx liberal.
Weird.  Have any documentation?  I'm curious where they overlap that often.

You can check out a senator's or congress person's Trump plus/minus here

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/congress-trump-score/

AOC's Trump plus/minus is actually +14.5, but that's largely due to how low the predicted score for a representative for her district is. She only votes with him 15% of the time.
Much obliged, sir.  It looks like all of the "agreement" between AOC and Trump are more cases of polar opposite positions that happened to lead to similar outcomes and not actual agreement in their ideas.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Razgovory

I can see why he was so quick to stick the knife in Eric Greitens, our first Jewish governor.  "Cosmopolitans" Jesus fucking Christ.  Raz knows a secret about our new Senator.  While he was working as A.G. he was getting a little on the side.  From another guy.  I doubt that would play well in what Yi called "East Jesus, Missouri".
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

I am just glad to see the LGBTQIA community has a place among right wing populists.

Quote from: Eddie Teach on July 19, 2019, 12:56:12 AM
Quote from: Valmy on July 18, 2019, 11:45:33 PM

I was being sarcastic. He'll probably vote with the rest of his party.

Ah. I do think these new populists are not nearly as pro-business as their conservative predecessors. I have noticed a much more confrontational relationship here in Texas once Greg Abbott replaced Rick Perry, granted that might just be because Perry was excessively pro-big business even by Republican standards.

So anyway you might be correct that they more ready to take on Wall Street. Wall Street is full of globalist elites after all.

Camerus

In fairness, supporting the establishment GOP's economic policies for the past several decades has done little for the working class rubes in their base.  I guess those rubes finally got, if not quite wise, then full of proletarian indignation.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 18, 2019, 11:43:20 PM
The insinuation of capital controls might play well in East Jesus MO, less well with the GOP donor base.

I doubt East Jesus types spend much time worrying about capital controls, either.
The senator isn't trying to build a coalition for reforming Wall Street, he is trying to rile up the good decent folk of Missouri against all these "elite" east coast Marxes and Nussbaums that are secretly running the country from their powerful professor emeritus positions.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Razgovory

Keep in Mind this happened a few years back

https://www.haaretz.com/jewish/gop-candidate-for-mo-gov-dead-in-apparent-suicide-1.5329689

QuoteAP - A Republican candidate for governor fatally shot himself in what police described as an "apparent suicide," minutes after inviting reporters to his suburban St. Louis home for an interview.

Missouri Auditor Tom Schweich's death Thursday stunned many of Missouri's top elected officials, who described him as a "brilliant" and "devoted" public servant with an "unblemished record" in office.

Just 13 minutes before police got an emergency call from his home, Schweich had a phone conversation with The Associated Press about his plans to go public that afternoon with allegations that the head of the Missouri Republican Party had made anti-Semitic comments about him.

The state Republican Party chairman denied doing so in an interview later Thursday.

Schweich had Jewish ancestry but attended an Episcopal church. Spokesman Spence Jackson said his boss had recently appeared upset about the comments people were supposedly making about his religious faith and about a recent radio ad describing Schweich as "a weak candidate for governor" who could "be manipulated."

"The campaign had been difficult, as all campaigns are," Jackson said. "There were a lot of things that were on his mind."

But Jackson said Schweich had been diligently going about his work, with another audit scheduled to be released next week.

Clayton Police Chief Kevin Murphy said Schweich was pronounced dead at a hospital from a single gunshot after paramedics responded to the emergency call.

"Everything at this point does suggest that it is an apparent suicide," Murphy said, adding that an autopsy would be conducted Friday.

Schweich was 54. He had been in office since January 2011 and had easily won election in November to a second, four-year term. He announced a month ago that he was seeking the Republican nomination for governor in 2016, and was gearing up for an expected primary fight against Catherine Hanaway, a former U.S. attorney and Missouri House speaker.

Naturally high-strung, Schweich seemed unusually agitated — his voice sometimes quivering and his legs and hands shaking — when he told an AP reporter on Monday that he wanted to hold a press conference to allege that Missouri Republican Party Chairman John Hancock had made anti-Semitic remarks about him.

Schweich postponed a planned press conference Tuesday. But he called the AP at 9:16 a.m. Thursday inviting an AP reporter to his home for a 2:30 p.m. interview and noting that a reporter from the St. Louis Post-Dispatch also had been invited. An AP reporter spoke with Schweich by phone again at 9:35 a.m. to confirm the upcoming interview.

Police say the emergency call to Schweich's house was received at 9:48 a.m.

In conversations with the AP, Schweich said he had heard that Hancock had been making phone calls last fall in which he mentioned in an off-handed way that Schweich was Jewish. Schweich said he felt the comments were anti-Semitic and wanted Hancock to resign the party chairmanship to which he had been elected last Saturday.

Hancock told the AP on Thursday that Schweich had talked to him about the alleged comments last November, but not since then. Hancock, who is a political consultant, said he held meetings last fall with prospective donors for a project to register Catholic voters. Hancock said that if he had mentioned that Schweich was Jewish, it would have been in the context that Hanaway was Catholic but that was no indication of how Catholics were likely to vote.

"I don't have a specific recollection of having said that, but it's plausible that I would have told somebody that Tom was Jewish because I thought he was, but I wouldn't have said it in a derogatory or demeaning fashion," Hancock said.

Schweich's spokesman killed himself a month later.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

Now he is helping A$AP Rocky to show he's not racist.

Quote"I personally don't know A$AP Rocky, but I can tell you he has tremendous support from the African American community in this country," Trump said. "When I say African American, I think I can really say from everybody in this country because we're all one," he added.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

HVC

he's doing it as a favour to his buddy Kanye
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

garbon

Now he has about faced and has praised the crowd who chanted send her back.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tonitrus

Quote from: garbon on July 19, 2019, 04:57:09 PM
Now he has about faced and has praised the crowd who chanted send her back.

It included some very fine people?