What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Legbiter on July 18, 2019, 12:12:13 PM
Quote from: mongers on July 18, 2019, 11:10:30 AMI agree with you, I was going say as much in my post above.

I personally don't think it's a good or even a sane response to Trump or Brexit or whatever tweet of the day to take one's own mental derangement regarding it out on one's friend's and family.

Yet you take your mental derangement out on us all the time.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Oexmelin on July 18, 2019, 03:02:57 PM
Is it because the American presidency is powerless (and thus, whatever Trump says is irrelevant)?

You've stumbled on the answer. What Trump says (especially on Twitter) is irrelevant, not because he's powerless, but because it's such a poor indicator of what is happening or will happen. One, he's a born liar. Two, he changes his mind like a girl changes clothes. Three, he doesn't think before he tweets, they are just impulses.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Oexmelin

Quote from: Eddie Teach on July 18, 2019, 03:57:29 PM
You've stumbled on the answer. What Trump says (especially on Twitter) is irrelevant, not because he's powerless, but because it's such a poor indicator of what is happening or will happen. One, he's a born liar. Two, he changes his mind like a girl changes clothes. Three, he doesn't think before he tweets, they are just impulses.

What do you think is a better indicator? Where should Trump's critics focus their attention that is legitimate?
Que le grand cric me croque !

frunk

Quote from: Oexmelin on July 18, 2019, 03:02:57 PM
Is it because the American presidency is powerless (and thus, whatever Trump says is irrelevant)?

If what he says on twitter is irrelevant why did the chant start?  Why do death threats against these congresspeople go up?  Why do Republicans in Congress believe him when he says on twitter he'll veto a bill if it comes before him?

If we want to do a full on ignore the president campaign I'm all for it.  Everybody ignores everything he says anywhere and Republicans in Congress commit to overriding his vetos.  Or, you know, just impeach and remove him.  That's the easy way.  Nobody would care about his racist rants if he was a private citizen.

DGuller

Quote from: Eddie Teach on July 18, 2019, 12:32:24 PM
Quote from: DGuller on July 18, 2019, 07:46:47 AM
Quote from: Eddie Teach on July 18, 2019, 05:55:55 AM
Maybe yoga.
Maybe enabling of troll enablers should also make the list.

If you're still letting Trump's Twitter feed upset you, that can't be good for your health.
:jaron:

grumbler

Quote from: frunk on July 18, 2019, 05:24:27 PM
If what he says on twitter is irrelevant why did the chant start?  Why do death threats against these congresspeople go up?  Why do Republicans in Congress believe him when he says on twitter he'll veto a bill if it comes before him?

If we want to do a full on ignore the president campaign I'm all for it.  Everybody ignores everything he says anywhere and Republicans in Congress commit to overriding his vetos.  Or, you know, just impeach and remove him.  That's the easy way.  Nobody would care about his racist rants if he was a private citizen.

Exactly.  It's like the Trumpeters want to enjoy the disgust Trump's tweets provoke in "the Libruls" but also want to disavow their enjoyment by saying Trump's tweets don't matter (even as they avidly follow them and repeat their themes).

It would be great if we could mute the Orange Buffoon, but we can't.  In that case, we, the public, are entitled to point our finger and laugh, or boo, as the specifics of the moment allow.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Minsky Moment

derange means to cause insanity but it also means to upset the functioning of something more generally.

The derangement Trump has caused the US government is the syndrome that should be the center of attention, not the derangement of the mood of others that our political culture of tribalist schadenfreude obsesses over.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 18, 2019, 12:56:47 PM
AOC actually votes with Trump on some stuff - there about 20% in agreement on votes this year, on the higher end for a Democrat.  He is objectively probably better off with someone like her than a generic Bronx liberal.
Weird.  Have any documentation?  I'm curious where they overlap that often.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on July 18, 2019, 06:37:10 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 18, 2019, 12:56:47 PM
AOC actually votes with Trump on some stuff - there about 20% in agreement on votes this year, on the higher end for a Democrat.  He is objectively probably better off with someone like her than a generic Bronx liberal.
Weird.  Have any documentation?  I'm curious where they overlap that often.

You can check out a senator's or congress person's Trump plus/minus here

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/congress-trump-score/

AOC's Trump plus/minus is actually +14.5, but that's largely due to how low the predicted score for a representative for her district is. She only votes with him 15% of the time.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Oexmelin on July 18, 2019, 04:17:41 PM

What do you think is a better indicator? Where should Trump's critics focus their attention that is legitimate?

Criticize the tweets all you want, just don't put emotional investment in them. Kind of like grumbler's posts.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Eddie Teach on July 18, 2019, 07:09:26 PM
Criticize the tweets all you want, just don't put emotional investment in them. Kind of like grumbler's posts.

Can I criticize them on moral and ethical grounds, as long as I do it stoically?

dps

Quote from: Tamas on July 18, 2019, 04:39:03 AM
Quote from: dps on July 18, 2019, 04:35:10 AM
Quote from: Tamas on July 18, 2019, 04:24:21 AM
Nobody dares to argue with their lunacy and racism.

Really?  It seems as tough almost every poster here dares to do so.  Though I've never thought that expressing my contempt for Trump as being something daring.

Within the GOP, of course. Jeesh.

Uh, I'm a Republican, remember?

jimmy olsen

A speech from the new senator from Missouri that looks like it could be a direct translation of Goebbels

https://twitter.com/jbouie/status/1152035476804472832

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

I think it's great that there's a Republican ready to take on Wall Street and big corporate interests.  :)

Admiral Yi

The insinuation of capital controls might play well in East Jesus MO, less well with the GOP donor base.