What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habbaku

Yeah. Lock her up was always stupid and unbelievable in its idiocy, but believable from a campaigning perspective.

The new one is evil.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

frunk

I'd agree it's more evil, but the country has survived dealing with evil before.  I'm not sure we're gonna survive the institutional damage.

The fundamental problem isn't that we have a guy spewing racist and conspiratorial nonsense in the White House, it's the support he gets from his party in Congress to continue doing it.

Anyway, time to crank some Brass Against.

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 17, 2019, 04:39:49 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on July 17, 2019, 04:18:54 PM
To some extant they've always been there.  Republicans made overtures to them back in the late 1970's and early 1980's.  They've somehow managed to rise to the top in the GOP because the Conservative movement collapsed during the Bush years.

The Economist article on the end of Conservatism is to the same effect - Conservatives courted the loons thinking they could be controlled.  Didn't quite work out that way.

Just read that based on your comment and the article pretty much perfectly crystallizes my thoughts on the situation from a conservative perspective.

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: Tamas on July 18, 2019, 05:43:41 AM
You know what? Anyone who tries to defend or dismiss the whole "send her back" ugliness, I just don't want to talk with.

This is a very clear fucking division line. If you think it is ok to call for citizens of your country to "go back where they came from", most of them whose parent(s) also born in the same country to make it worse, then we clearly have very different views on what equality, heck on what being a human, means.

So either drop the troll act, or fuck off.

Yep, as someone who has never voted Dem (before HRC) and thought I never would, Trump has created a watershed moment for America where I think there is a moral requirement to vote against him. I actually have told some extended family that are serious Trumpers and who I email debate with a lot that I consider further support for Trump so gravely immoral that I will simply discontinue affiliation with people that for whatever reason have convinced themselves his behavior is fine.

mongers

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on July 18, 2019, 11:00:09 AM
Quote from: Tamas on July 18, 2019, 05:43:41 AM
You know what? Anyone who tries to defend or dismiss the whole "send her back" ugliness, I just don't want to talk with.

This is a very clear fucking division line. If you think it is ok to call for citizens of your country to "go back where they came from", most of them whose parent(s) also born in the same country to make it worse, then we clearly have very different views on what equality, heck on what being a human, means.

So either drop the troll act, or fuck off.

Yep, as someone who has never voted Dem (before HRC) and thought I never would, Trump has created a watershed moment for America where I think there is a moral requirement to vote against him. I actually have told some extended family that are serious Trumpers and who I email debate with a lot that I consider further support for Trump so gravely immoral that I will simply discontinue affiliation with people that for whatever reason have convinced themselves his behavior is fine.

Otto, that's quite an astonishing position to find yourself in.

I agree with you, I was going say as much in my post above.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Razgovory

What bothers me is that a large portion of this country actually like this.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Legbiter

Quote from: mongers on July 18, 2019, 11:10:30 AMI agree with you, I was going say as much in my post above.

I personally don't think it's a good or even a sane response to Trump or Brexit or whatever tweet of the day to take one's own mental derangement regarding it out on one's friend's and family.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: DGuller on July 18, 2019, 07:46:47 AM
Quote from: Eddie Teach on July 18, 2019, 05:55:55 AM
Maybe yoga.
Maybe enabling of troll enablers should also make the list.

If you're still letting Trump's Twitter feed upset you, that can't be good for your health.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Legbiter

Quote from: Eddie Teach on July 18, 2019, 12:32:24 PMIf you're still letting Trump's Twitter feed upset you, that can't be good for your health.

Yeah.

Also keep in mind "the Squad" just instantly achieved national fame. They're the stars of the Democratic party now. Trump just helped their re-election chances enormously.  :hmm:  :thumbsup:
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

The Minsky Moment

AOC actually votes with Trump on some stuff - there about 20% in agreement on votes this year, on the higher end for a Democrat.  He is objectively probably better off with someone like her than a generic Bronx liberal.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

chipwich

The Minsky Moment

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Oexmelin

Quote from: Legbiter on July 18, 2019, 12:12:13 PM
I personally don't think it's a good or even a sane response to Trump or Brexit or whatever tweet of the day to take one's own mental derangement regarding it out on one's friend's and family.

Rather than parrot conservative snickering talking points ("Trump derangement syndrome", ironic use of "deplorable", etc.), it would be a nice change if you, or any other people who are In on The Joke, would explain why, exactly, they think it's no big deal. Is it because the American presidency is powerless (and thus, whatever Trump says is irrelevant)? Is it because public rhetoric has no political importance (and thus, what *really* matters happens elsewhere, and is in fact disconnected from Trump). Is it because legitimate critique should target something else?

Que le grand cric me croque !

garbon

And now Trump is trying to disavow the chant.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tamas

Quote from: garbon on July 18, 2019, 03:09:31 PM
And now Trump is trying to disavow the chant.

Reading comments from his Hungarian fanbois, this the continuation of the masterful maneuver started with the original tweet.