What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oexmelin

In a shocking twist, the Supreme Court okays building the wall under military pretext before it decides whether or not it's okay to build the wall under military pretext.
Que le grand cric me croque !

PRC

Quote from: Legbiter on July 26, 2019, 08:32:48 PM
"Hand over A$AP Sweden and no one has to get hurt"

Distracting people with a waste of your own time will eventually get played out.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Oexmelin on July 26, 2019, 09:43:07 PM
In a shocking twist, the Supreme Court okays building the wall under military pretext before it decides whether or not it's okay to build the wall under military pretext.

So it immediate harm argument necessary for an stay wasn't sufficient.  What's your beef?

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 25, 2019, 11:25:07 PM
I've changed my mind on impeachment.  I think the House should start hearings.  I understand Pelosi's rationale but I now suspect the strategic conclusion is wrong. It may be unpopular with swing voters but net it will probably hurt Trump more.  His obsessive and crazed reaction to the Mueller testimony clinched it.  The process will bog him down, keep him in ultra-crazy mode and keep him on the battlefield of the Democrats choosing.
As I said a while ago, I think the Democrats stand to lose a lot more votes by not impeaching than by the number they might gain.  It will be another example for those who felt disillusioned and disenfranchised by the super delegates/gift wrapping of the nomination for Hillary last time.  You know, the younger generation who are the future of the party.  In theory.  I think a Biden nomination and no impeachment will almost guarantee another Trump victory.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

garbon

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on July 27, 2019, 03:29:22 AM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 25, 2019, 11:25:07 PM
I've changed my mind on impeachment.  I think the House should start hearings.  I understand Pelosi's rationale but I now suspect the strategic conclusion is wrong. It may be unpopular with swing voters but net it will probably hurt Trump more.  His obsessive and crazed reaction to the Mueller testimony clinched it.  The process will bog him down, keep him in ultra-crazy mode and keep him on the battlefield of the Democrats choosing.
As I said a while ago, I think the Democrats stand to lose a lot more votes by not impeaching than by the number they might gain.  It will be another example for those who felt disillusioned and disenfranchised by the super delegates/gift wrapping of the nomination for Hillary last time.  You know, the younger generation who are the future of the party.  In theory.  I think a Biden nomination and no impeachment will almost guarantee another Trump victory.

So those delusional about political realities? Those who think the Dem leadership should want a candidate who only becomes a Democrat when he wants to run for president?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Sophie Scholl

I'm not saying Bernie was the answer, but I know of large numbers of people personally and have read of many, many more who feel like he was and he was "cheated" out of the nomination or at least a legitimate chance at it.  I know Hils is your girl always and forever, but you also aren't a committed Democrat any more than Sanders.  Probably less so.  You aren't the voter type that the establishment Democrats should be worried about losing not just in 2020 but going forward as well.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

garbon

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on July 27, 2019, 03:41:26 AM
I'm not saying Bernie was the answer, but I know of large numbers of people personally and have read of many, many more who feel like he was and he was "cheated" out of the nomination or at least a legitimate chance at it.

Yes, so the delusion people, no?

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on July 27, 2019, 03:41:26 AMI know Hils is your girl always and forever, but you also aren't a committed Democrat any more than Sanders.  Probably less so.  You aren't the voter type that the establishment Democrats should be worried about losing not just in 2020 but going forward as well.

Only if the Dem party is in fact the same as the caricatured party that conservatives posit.

I think the Dems should be broadening their appeal given the opportunity to pick up so many disaffected by drop. I'm not sure a rush left (or feel good actions like initiating impeachment proceedings now) will accomplish that. This isn't exactly the time to be fighting for our pet projects.

I see your premise though that I'm a waffling Democrat but will raise that in the post-2016 climate, the Dems are the only legitimate game in town so they'd better be okay with widening that tent.

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: garbon on July 27, 2019, 03:47:04 AM
I see your premise though that I'm a waffling Democrat but will raise that in the post-2016 climate, the Dems are the only legitimate game in town so they'd better be okay with widening that tent.
The problem from how I see it is that the tent stakes keep moving more and more to the right.  In order to try to grab any and every voter being left out by the dramatic right turn of the Republicans, the Democrats have continued their drift from center to right of center.  The tent is straining, if not breaking, at the base on the left in that scramble to expand.  It isn't a tenable tent.  The Republicans are marching almost complete locking goosestep to Trump's command while the Democrats, who should have an easy time targeting the awfulness that their enemies represent have no real sense of party or platform outside of "We're not Trump!" which is simply not viable.  They're tripping over dollars to pick up pennies, if you will, in terms of abandoning their core and those most devoted to the Left in their scramble to accommodate any defectors from the Right.  I personally think it is a mediocre at best short term strategy and a horrible long term one.  As if letting Republicans dominate state and local politics over the last two decades wasn't a terrible enough strategy, they seem determined to further sink their own ship when it should be sailing at its best.

Eddie Teach

Impeachment of elected officials is counterproductive if your goal is to shore up people's confidence in democracy.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Oexmelin

Yes, the election of corrupt officials is a much better alternative.
Que le grand cric me croque !

Eddie Teach

grumbler

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on July 27, 2019, 03:58:52 AM
..., the Democrats have continued their drift from center to right of center.  ...

What policies, specifically, make them "right of center?"  This seems way over-dramatic.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Eddie Teach on July 27, 2019, 07:26:31 AM
Impeachment of elected officials is counterproductive if your goal is to shore up people's confidence in democracy.

Quite the contrary.  Impeachment of corrupt officials strengthens the people's confidence in democracy.  You weren't whining when Rod Blagojevich was impeached, and neither was anyone else. 
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

frunk

It's the system that never prosecutes corruption that has the most of it.

Eddie Teach

I won't whine if Trump gets impeached either, but I find BA's rationale suspect. First, I don't think it's correct. Why would people give up the chance to vote Trump out because Congress didn't do it for them? Also, we should be mindful that our democratic society requires people in all parts of the spectrum to buy in. Perhaps an impeachment might inspire a couple of his friends to vote. It might also inspire one of Syt's family members to stop limiting himself to Facebook memes and go full on militia kook. It is a tool that should be used with caution.