What does a TRUMP presidency look like?

Started by FunkMonk, November 08, 2016, 11:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: Eddie Teach on July 27, 2019, 08:27:04 AM
I won't whine if Trump gets impeached either, but I find BA's rationale suspect. First, I don't think it's correct. Why would people give up the chance to vote Trump out because Congress didn't do it for them? Also, we should be mindful that our democratic society requires people in all parts of the spectrum to buy in. Perhaps an impeachment might inspire a couple of his friends to vote. It might also inspire one of Syt's family members to stop limiting himself to Facebook memes and go full on militia kook. It is a tool that should be used with caution.

The purpose of impeachment is to invoke the power of the legislature to execute its duty of oversight under the principals of checks and balances.  Simply waiting for the next election is abdicating that power, and essentially invalidates a major function under the system of checks and balances.  Of course, it should be used with caution but, if it cannot be used against corrupt officials, who can it be used against?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Brain

Quote from: grumbler on July 27, 2019, 08:32:02 AM
I won't whine if Trump gets impeached either, but I find BA's rationale suspect. First, I don't think it's correct. Why would people give up the chance to vote Trump out because Congress didn't do it for them? Also, we should be mindful that our democratic society requires people in all parts of the spectrum to buy in. Perhaps an impeachment might inspire a couple of his friends to vote. It might also inspire one of Syt's family members to stop limiting himself to Facebook memes and go full on militia kook. It is a tool that should be used with caution.

The purpose of impeachment is to invoke the power of the legislature to execute its duty of oversight under the principals of checks and balances.  Simply waiting for the next election is abdicating that power, and essentially invalidates a major function under the system of checks and balances.  Of course, it should be used with caution but, if it cannot be used against corrupt officials, who can it be used against?

Who watches the principals?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

grumbler

Quote from: The Brain on July 27, 2019, 09:21:15 AM
Who watches the principals?

Their secretaries actually write the checks and use the mail balance to calculate postage.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Legbiter

For impeachment to be effective Trump would have to be considerably more unpopular among his base and the Democrats would need to control both Congress and Senate, or at the very least enjoy broad bipartisan support. Succeeding in impeaching a president with around 45-50% approval rating would be a very dangerous violation of the Republic's mos maiorum and risk guaranteeing entrenched polarization where either party if in majority of both houses after a good midterm result would be irresistibly tempted to impeach a sitting president just because they could.

Democrats now remind me of Republicans with Bill Clinton Derangement Syndrome and same as then risk looking even more the impotent assclowns than they already do if they go ahead with impeachment and fail.

Even arguing about impeachment amongst themselves risks a rancorous split within their own party just when they need to stay on message.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

The Minsky Moment

The impeachment clause was designed for Trump.  He is exactly the sort of person that Founders had in mind when the clause was drafted.

Of course the Senate will vote any impeachment bill down, Trump will not be removed.  But our democracy is not a free-for-all; it is based on rule of law.  Trump violated that law, repeatedly. He has repeatedly shown contempt for the Constitution and his constitutional duties.  The case should be set forth, the evidence presented, and the Senators made responsible for their decision.

And if legbiter is right and it turns out 45% of the US population shares Trump's contempt for the American constitution and American values, best know it now. 
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Oexmelin on July 26, 2019, 09:43:07 PM
In a shocking twist, the Supreme Court okays building the wall under military pretext before it decides whether or not it's okay to build the wall under military pretext.

? Court is not in session
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Oexmelin

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 27, 2019, 09:31:16 PM
? Court is not in session

From the NYT:

QuoteWASHINGTON — The Supreme Court on Friday gave President Trump a victory in his fight for a wall along the Mexican border by allowing the administration to begin using $2.5 billion in Pentagon money for the construction.

In a 5-to-4 ruling, the court overturned an appellate decision and said that the administration could tap the money while litigation over the matter proceeds. But that will most likely take many months or longer, allowing Mr. Trump to move ahead before the case returns to the Supreme Court after further proceedings in the appeals court.

While the order was only one paragraph long and unsigned, the Supreme Court said the groups challenging the administration did not appear to have a legal right to do so. That was an indication that the court's conservative majority was likely to side with the administration in the end.

The court's four more liberal justices dissented. One of them, Stephen G. Breyer, wrote that he would have allowed the administration to pursue preparatory work but not construction, which he said would be hard to undo if the administration ultimately lost the case.

President Trump promptly posted on Twitter that he was delighted with the ruling: "Wow! Big VICTORY on the Wall. The United States Supreme Court overturns lower court injunction, allows Southern Border Wall to proceed. Big WIN for Border Security and the Rule of Law!"

The ruling came on the same day that Mr. Trump signed an agreement with Guatemala that was intended to slow the flow of Central American migrants seeking refuge in the United States. Migrants who travel north through Guatemala will be required to seek asylum there first.

The border wall case, Trump v. Sierra Club, No. 19A60, concerned injunctions entered by a trial judge that blocked the transfer of military funds to wall construction. An appeals court refused to stay the trial judge's ruling while it considered the administration's appeal. The Supreme Court's ruling on Friday allows construction to proceed while the litigation continues.

Dror Ladin, a lawyer with the American Civil Liberties Union, one of the groups behind the legal challenge, said the ruling was a temporary setback.

"We will be asking the federal appeals court to expedite the ongoing appeals proceeding to halt the irreversible and imminent damage from Trump's border wall," Mr. Ladin said. "Border communities, the environment, and our Constitution's separation of powers will be permanently harmed should Trump get away with pillaging military funds for a xenophobic border wall Congress denied."

Justice Breyer was the only member of the court to file an opinion. "This case raises novel and important questions about the ability of private parties to enforce Congress's appropriations power," he wrote. But the immediate issue for the court, he added, was merely whether to enter a stay of the trial court's injunction.

Allowing construction to start, Justice Breyer wrote, could cause irreparable harm to the challengers and to the environment. On the other hand, he wrote, the administration could lose access to the funds if it did not finalize contracts by the end of September. The solution, he wrote, would be to let the government negotiate and sign contracts, but not start building.

"I would grant the government's application to stay the injunction only to the extent that the injunction prevents the government from finalizing the contracts or taking other preparatory administrative action," Justice Breyer wrote, "but leave it in place insofar as it precludes the government from disbursing those funds or beginning construction."

In February, President Trump declared a national emergency along the Mexican border. The declaration followed a two-month impasse with Congress over funding to build his long-promised barrier wall, an impasse that gave rise to the longest partial government shutdown in the nation's history.

After Congress appropriated only a fraction of what Mr. Trump had sought, he announced that he would act unilaterally to spend billions more.

Soon after, two advocacy groups represented by the A.C.L.U. — the Sierra Club and Southern Border Communities Coalition — sued to stop Mr. Trump's plan to use money meant for military programs to build barriers along the border in what he said was an effort to combat drug trafficking.

Judge Haywood S. Gilliam Jr., of the United States District Court in Oakland, Calif., blocked the effort in a pair of decisions that said the statute the administration had relied on to justify the transfer did not authorize it.

"The case is not about whether the challenged border barrier construction plan is wise or unwise. It is not about whether the plan is the right or wrong policy response to existing conditions at the southern border of the United States," Judge Gilliam wrote. "Instead, this case presents strict legal questions regarding whether the proposed plan for funding border barrier construction exceeds the executive branch's lawful authority."

A divided three-judge panel of the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit, in San Francisco, refused to stay Judge Gilliam's injunction while the court considered the government's appeal.

The public interest, the majority said, "is best served by respecting the Constitution's assignment of the power of the purse to Congress, and by deferring to Congress's understanding of the public interest as reflected in its repeated denial of more funding for border barrier construction."

In urging the Supreme Court to intercede, Noel J. Francisco, the solicitor general, wrote that the plaintiffs' "interests in hiking, bird watching and fishing in designated drug-smuggling corridors do not outweigh the harm to the public from halting the government's efforts to construct barriers to stanch the flow of illegal narcotics across the southern border."

Mr. Francisco argued that the lower courts had misread two provisions of a federal law in concluding that the transfer was not authorized. The law allows reallocation of money to address "unforeseen military requirements" where the expenditures had not already been "denied by Congress." Mr. Francisco wrote that the drug enforcement measures were unforeseen when the Defense Department made its budget request and that Congress had never addressed the particular narcotics measures.

In response, the A.C.L.U. said that the central issue in the case was straightforward. The administration, the group wrote, "lacks authority to spend taxpayer funds on a wall that Congress considered and denied."

"This was a deliberate decision by Congress," the A.C.L.U.'s brief said. "Less than six months ago, this country endured the longest government shutdown in its history due to Congress's refusal to appropriate funds for the wall construction at issue here." That meant, the brief said, that the construction was, in the words of the federal law, "denied by Congress."

In a separate case, the House also challenged the administration's actions.

In June, Judge Trevor N. McFadden of the United States District Court for the District of Columbia ruled that the House could not show that it had suffered the sort of injury that gave it standing to sue. Courts, he wrote, should generally resolve disputes between the other two branches as only a last resort.

Here, he wrote, "Congress has several political arrows in its quiver to counter perceived threats to its sphere of power," including legislation "to expressly restrict the transfer or spending of funds for a border wall."

In a Supreme Court brief supporting the opponents of the border wall, lawyers for the House said the cases posed a fundamental question. "Under our constitutional scheme," they wrote, "an immense wall along our border simply cannot be constructed without funds appropriated by Congress for that purpose."

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/26/us/politics/supreme-court-border-wall-trump.html?searchResultPosition=1
Que le grand cric me croque !

The Minsky Moment

Oh they issued a stay.

Although it seems like the 5 have made up their minds on standing.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

This just shows how completely insane Judge McFadden's decision was to deny the House the right to bring a claim to enforce its own rights and constitutional powers, a decision directly contrary to established precedent.  If the Supreme Court is going to rule that private parties can't enforce the House's appropriations power, while McFadden won't let the House proceed, then there is a glaring constitutional violation without a remedy and the Executive is uncheckable.

Except . . . IMPEACH
--Joan Robinson

dps

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 27, 2019, 10:35:16 PM
This just shows how completely insane Judge McFadden's decision was to deny the House the right to bring a claim to enforce its own rights and constitutional powers, a decision directly contrary to established precedent.  If the Supreme Court is going to rule that private parties can't enforce the House's appropriations power, while McFadden won't let the House proceed, then there is a glaring constitutional violation without a remedy and the Executive is uncheckable.

Except . . . IMPEACH

Trump or McFadden?

Syt

...another one bites the dust.

QuoteDonald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump

23m
I am pleased to announce that highly respected Congressman John Ratcliffe of Texas will be nominated by me to be the Director of National Intelligence. A former U.S. Attorney, John will lead and inspire greatness for the Country he loves. Dan Coats, the current Director, will be leaving office on August 15th. I would like to thank Dan for his great service to our Country. The Acting Director will be named shortly.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Minsky Moment

Remember back in '16 when some people were saying that Trump wouldn't be so bad - he'd hire good responsible people and take their advice?

Yeah that one didn't work out so well.
--Joan Robinson

crazy canuck

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 29, 2019, 02:07:31 PM
Remember back in '16 when some people were saying that Trump wouldn't be so bad - he'd hire good responsible people and take their advice?

Yeah that one didn't work out so well.

The best people was I think the claim that was made.

Eddie Teach

That was his claim. I'd suppose some others just expected him to pick competent ones.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?