News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Montreal 2012

Started by garbon, October 12, 2011, 11:56:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Counterproductive for the HAs, or the lawyer involved?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Razgovory

For the Biker gang.  I mean, the Mob has had lots of high priced, influential lawyers represent them over the years.  Some of these lawyers were highly respected in their field.  Committing crimes against your own defense counsel doesn't seem like a smart idea.  In legal case that seems to be the last person you wish to threaten with bodily harm.  Prosecutors, Judges, and Jury members all seem like better targets of intimidation then your own defense counsel.  Maybe they don't understand how the courts work.  Or maybe I don't understand how Canadian courts work.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

Do you have to own a bike to join the Canadian Hell's Angels?

Ed Anger

Ahhh, Mom Boucher and the war against the Rock Machine. Good viewing on the teevee.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Grey Fox

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 08, 2011, 07:20:00 PM

Yes. It's the same rules.

No Color, no Women, no Police/Prison guard hopefulls, have a Driver's License & a working motorcycle.

For some reason, Child Molester are also verboten.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Ed Anger on November 08, 2011, 07:30:56 PM
Ahhh, Mom Boucher and the war against the Rock Machine. Good viewing on the teevee.

The crazy part is that now most of the Rock Machines are members of the Hells A.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

viper37

Quote from: HVC on November 08, 2011, 04:26:00 PM
While in Montreal did you happen to take a bat to any lawyers? Cause apparently like 3 defense lawyers in the last little while have been beaten pretty badly. Hells Angels Lawyers, if it makes it any clearer why they're being beat down.
I figured it was Neil visiting Montreal without telling anyone.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 08, 2011, 07:20:00 PM
Only to become full patch.  And they have one black dude among their members.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Barrister

Quote from: Razgovory on November 08, 2011, 05:23:33 PM
For the Biker gang.  I mean, the Mob has had lots of high priced, influential lawyers represent them over the years.  Some of these lawyers were highly respected in their field.  Committing crimes against your own defense counsel doesn't seem like a smart idea.  In legal case that seems to be the last person you wish to threaten with bodily harm.  Prosecutors, Judges, and Jury members all seem like better targets of intimidation then your own defense counsel.  Maybe they don't understand how the courts work.  Or maybe I don't understand how Canadian courts work.

Being a lawyer gives you all kinds of special access.  Just as one example, you can walk into a prison without being searched.

Having a lawyer who is willing to break the rules for you is very, very useful to the HAs.  And if it takes some intimidation to get them to do so, well, the HAs aren't adverse to doing so.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

viper37

Quote from: Razgovory on November 08, 2011, 05:14:56 PM
That seems counterproductive.
they may have been in dept over gambling.  It certainly fits the moto of such incidents.  You don't want to kill the guy, but you do want to send a message.

Drakken

It's thanks to that particular lawyer that the judge in the SharQC megatrial was forced to recuse himself, and thanks to his hard work the whole trial floundered under its own weight. If anything, the HAs should have given him a million bucks and limitless access to coke and poon to reward him.

The guy ain't a consigliere or a biker-wannabee. He is widely reputed to be a very respected and straight laywer.

I don't believe it is the HAs who's done it. Obviously the lawyer was taking his job seriously and was very, very good at it. The prosecution ain't over yet, and he'll be needed in the next trial. The HAs have nothing to gain from sending a message that would lead to other competent defense counsels refusing to defend them in the future. Besides, the HAs in Quebec right now are in the same spot than the Italian mafia : Decapitated, white-collared, living in the shadows with most of its top and middle-ranked membership in jail for a long time or on the run. They don't need the additional publicity.

My take is on a competing gang, a vigilante, a disgrunted client that blames him for going to prison, or a shylock/pusher that is too dumb to live.

Drakken

Quote from: viper37 on November 09, 2011, 10:12:36 AM
they may have been in dept over gambling.  It certainly fits the moto of such incidents.  You don't want to kill the guy, but you do want to send a message.

He was repeatedly bashed on the skull with a baseball bat. It's overkill for a gambling debt, the risk of death's far too great.

Razgovory

Quote from: Barrister on November 09, 2011, 10:12:20 AM

Being a lawyer gives you all kinds of special access.  Just as one example, you can walk into a prison without being searched.

Having a lawyer who is willing to break the rules for you is very, very useful to the HAs.  And if it takes some intimidation to get them to do so, well, the HAs aren't adverse to doing so.

If you say so.  I'm still sticking by my opinion that HA's (and other biker gangs) are worthless scum.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Drakken

Quote from: Razgovory on November 10, 2011, 10:15:18 AM
Quote from: Barrister on November 09, 2011, 10:12:20 AM

If you say so.  I'm still sticking by my opinion that HA's (and other biker gangs) are worthless scum.

They might be worthless scums, but they're smart enough to know when not to bash repeatedly a defense counsel on the head enough to threaten to render his mental and physical abilities incapacitated or outright kill him, especially when the guy's competent, rendered very good services to your gang, and he's still willing to work for you.

Razgovory