Canada to firmly re-assess its status as a British colony

Started by viper37, August 15, 2011, 08:08:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on August 19, 2011, 09:26:20 AM
Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on August 19, 2011, 08:47:52 AM
Quote from: Neil on August 19, 2011, 07:08:23 AM
You're not the worst country in the world.  Even if you rebelled against your king, it's not like you permanently wiped out the monarchy.  You're better than any of the other G8 countries except for the UK, Canada and Japan.

I've already explained in the past that the only rightful British King was living in exile because the people of Great Britain had already rebelled against their rightful King several generations prior. The moment the Stuarts were driven from the throne and replaced with illegitimate pretenders by Parliament which has no right to decide on succession of a King the King of the United Kingdom was no King at all, and our rebellion was against a pretender with a crown of clay.

So the US justified the revolution based on Jacobite grounds? :wacko:

Yeah, that was pretty bizarre.

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: Barrister on August 19, 2011, 09:26:20 AM
So the US justified the revolution based on Jacobite grounds? :wacko:

Of course not. I say that legally we had no legitimate ties to the United Kingdom the moment James II was driven off the throne. Arguably the earliest proprietor colonies where outside the demesne of any King. However as they were converted to Royal colonies they rightly fell under the rule of the British monarch, when the monarchy was ended and replaced with a usurpatory reign there was no longer any true legal association. The Revolution just ended the legal fiction that had been perpetrated since 1688 when the King was deposed and a Dutch usurper was put on the throne.

I certainly would not argue the Founding Fathers advocated this argument, most of them were true anti-monarchical scum. However in this instance they happened to be excused because the monarch they had tacitly accepted as legitimate prior to the Revolution was no more a King than a street walker.

Rex Francorum

Quote from: LaCroix on August 16, 2011, 12:10:58 PM
i support the name change, if only to piss off the french quebecois :)

I support too the name change, hoping it will piss the french Québécois.
To rent

Valmy

Quote from: Rex Francorum on August 19, 2011, 12:30:22 PM

They strike me as sort of people who are in a perpetual state of outrage.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on August 19, 2011, 12:36:07 PM

To be fair to Quebeckers, I think it's only their politicians in a perpetual state of outrage.  The Quebeckers I know (who, admittedly, have generally all moved out west at some point) are pretty blase about these kinds of issues.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

garbon

Quote from: viper37 on August 19, 2011, 09:07:42 AM
For the art musuem, I keep asking myself why people want to go there, it's not something I get either.  The internet is filled with pictures of paintings or beautiful photographs.  And you can save them on your computer, watch them whenever you want.

I think you've managed to out do, Jos.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

HVC

Quote from: Valmy on August 19, 2011, 12:36:07 PM

:contract:
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

crazy canuck

I assume the people who would be pissed off about this are the ones already in your camp.

Grey Fox

I'm outrage at the fact that you think that I am consistently outraged at everything. Damn Anglos.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

dps

Quote from: viper37 on August 19, 2011, 09:10:46 AM
Do you keep a portrait of the President in all of your houses?[/quote]

Are you saying that the government of Canada took all copies of paintings by this Quebecois artist you've been going on about out of the homes of individual citizens and replaced them with portraits of the Queen?  Yeah, I'd be opposed to that, too.  But I thought they just replaced them in, you know, government buildings.
When you rotate a gallery, in a public office, do you replace it with pictures of the current President?

Uh, yeah, actually, in federal government offices, it's common to have a portrait of the current President.  I'd think that in most nations, it's common to have a portrait of the head of state.  That's why we Americans can't see why you think Canada should be an exception.

Viking

Quote from: viper37 on August 19, 2011, 09:00:06 AM
Quote from: Viking on August 18, 2011, 03:38:30 PM
meh... if Civilized nations didn't conquer and destroy the Barbarous then world would consist almost exclusively of the Barbarous. Furthermore I will assert that none of the "First Nations" of Canada were the first nation to occupy the land and the many generations of previous civilizations occupying each land had been genocided by the present "first nation" (scare quotes this time). To dip into the fetid pool of post-modernism, I consider it a grossly hegemonic imposition of Eurocentricims to treat the American Indians as innocent naïfs without worldlyness nor an ability to take responsability for their actions. No culture ethnically cleansed by "Imperialist Anglo-Canadians"!!!!1111oneoneoen didn't ethnically cleanse and/or assimilate a previous one.
it sure is a good reason to deport French Colonists.  Oh, they were inferior, let's deport them.

I said no such thing. If you want to attack a strawman don't pin my name on him. I'm not suggesting anybody is inferior, I'm asserting that nobody is morally superior. No people that has survived until modernity can possibly claim to have clean hands. Don't make shit up like this, it only make you look pathetic.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Oexmelin

Quote from: Malthus on August 19, 2011, 09:34:57 AM
It's like saying "when the aliens landed in Flanders in 1917, the area they landed in was completely uninhabited".  :D

That's not quite apt. There was no war being waged: the St. Lawrence Iroquoians were gone, i.e., the conflicts were over, the Iroquoians were either dead or incorporated into other groups.  No trace of them remained. Your hypothetical aliens could not have said the same of Flanders.
Que le grand cric me croque !

Oexmelin

Quote from: Razgovory on August 19, 2011, 09:25:43 AM
Painting showing the arrival of Samuel de Champlain on the future site of Quebec City, 1608

Using a ludicrously inaccurate 1908 painting reimagining what might have happened in 1608 as a source bars you from ever mocking again crazy canuck's quoting of a novel as a source.
Que le grand cric me croque !

Razgovory

Quote from: Oexmelin on August 19, 2011, 10:30:30 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on August 19, 2011, 09:25:43 AM
Painting showing the arrival of Samuel de Champlain on the future site of Quebec City, 1608

Using a ludicrously inaccurate 1908 painting reimagining what might have happened in 1608 as a source bars you from ever mocking again crazy canuck's quoting of a novel as a source.

Why does the city retain it's Indian name?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017