Canada to firmly re-assess its status as a British colony

Started by viper37, August 15, 2011, 08:08:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oexmelin

The city got a possibly Algonkian name - as opposed to the Iroquoian name Stadaconé/Stadaconna in use during Jacques Cartier's time for the exact same place - because Samuel de Champlain used Native contacts downriver to learn about the Saint-Lawrence river. Why it stuck, as opposed to Montreal, where other native appelations didn't, probably has to do with the fact that it looks like, and sounds like, many Normandy toponyms (Caudebec, Briquebec).
Que le grand cric me croque !

Razgovory

Quote from: Oexmelin on August 20, 2011, 07:41:33 AM
The city got a possibly Algonkian name - as opposed to the Iroquoian name Stadaconé/Stadaconna in use during Jacques Cartier's time for the exact same place - because Samuel de Champlain used Native contacts downriver to learn about the Saint-Lawrence river. Why it stuck, as opposed to Montreal, where other native appelations didn't, probably has to do with the fact that it looks like, and sounds like, many Normandy toponyms (Caudebec, Briquebec).

Were there Algonkian people living in what is now Quebec?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Grey Fox

Quote from: Razgovory on August 20, 2011, 07:45:28 AM

No. The Algonquin were usually on the Southshore of the St-Lawrence.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

BuddhaRhubarb

I guess this will create jobs and stop crime? :confused:  wow millions of dollars to re-brand something that doesn't need to be re-branded... and at the same time there are supposedly huge military cuts (something I approve of IF the cuts are not to any kind of soldier support like pensions, housing etc.... Army guys deserve lots of perks imho. We just don't need all the big ticket items that make the news. We should imho streamline the forces to a more search and rescue oriented group, than fighting, with all the freaky ass weather happening in recent times. that's defending the nation imo.
:p

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on August 19, 2011, 12:36:07 PM
They strike me as sort of people who are in a perpetual state of outrage.
You should read Canadian newspapers to get things into perspective.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Neil

Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on August 20, 2011, 11:41:41 AM
I guess this will create jobs and stop crime? :confused:  wow millions of dollars to re-brand something that doesn't need to be re-branded... and at the same time there are supposedly huge military cuts (something I approve of IF the cuts are not to any kind of soldier support like pensions, housing etc.... Army guys deserve lots of perks imho. We just don't need all the big ticket items that make the news. We should imho streamline the forces to a more search and rescue oriented group, than fighting, with all the freaky ass weather happening in recent times. that's defending the nation imo.
It isn't as if rebranding the RCN and RCAF is especially expensive.  It's not like everything that the government does has to be about creating jobs and stopping crime.  They waste more on the CBC every month than this is going to cost them.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Neil

Quote from: Valmy on August 19, 2011, 12:36:07 PM
Quote from: Rex Francorum on August 19, 2011, 12:30:22 PM
Quote from: LaCroix on August 16, 2011, 12:10:58 PM
i support the name change, if only to piss off the french quebecois :)
I support too the name change, hoping it will piss the french Québécois.
They strike me as sort of people who are in a perpetual state of outrage.
Some of them are.  They have a contingent of rabble-rousers who are always trying to rile up the more sedate citizens.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

viper37

Quote from: Malthus on August 19, 2011, 09:34:57 AM
Quote from: viper37 on August 19, 2011, 08:59:00 AM
there were no indians in the St-Lawrence valley when Champlain came to build Quebec city in 1608.

:lol:

That's because it was an active battleground at the time:

I know my history, thank you.
As your wiki article says, the place had been devoid of life for 75 years, as there were no trace of life.

It's totally different from, say, removing French colonists by force from an area and moving English colonists instead.  Or burning all the farms of the St-Lawrence valley in hope of starving the people to make conquest easier.  Or burning a city when you fail at conquering it the first time.

For the remainder of the summer, Wolfe's focus changed, possibly due to frustration with Montcalm's tactics. His troops, along with American Rangers, attacked and destroyed small French settlements along the St. Lawrence. An estimated 1,400 stone houses and manors were destroyed, and many colonists killed. The effort was likely an attempt to force Montcalm's army out of its fortifications, but was unsuccessful.[16] However, the attacks did reduce the amount of supplies available to the French, especially as the British navy, unable to control the St. Lawrence entirely, was successfully blockading the ports in France
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

crazy canuck

Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on August 20, 2011, 11:41:41 AM
We should imho streamline the forces to a more search and rescue oriented group, than fighting, with all the freaky ass weather happening in recent times. that's defending the nation imo.

so you want to turn the whole of the Canadian Military into the Coast Guard?

LaCroix

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 20, 2011, 03:48:15 PMso you want to turn the whole of the Canadian Military into the Coast Guard?

a coast guard with the world's best pension and housing benefits :D

grumbler

Quote from: LaCroix on August 20, 2011, 04:38:51 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on August 20, 2011, 03:48:15 PMso you want to turn the whole of the Canadian Military into the Coast Guard?

a coast guard with the world's best pension and housing benefits :D
:lol:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

Quote from: Grey Fox on August 20, 2011, 10:58:14 AM

Er, doesn't the South Shore of the St. Lawrence inside of Modern Quebec?  Looking around the net it seems that Montreal was attacked by Mohawks in it's early history who seemed to feel that the area was there territory.  So perhaps some of the Indians begged to differ that the land was abandoned.  Also it seems there plenty of Innu (at least that's what Wikipedia called them), wandering about.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Razgovory on August 20, 2011, 06:06:03 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on August 20, 2011, 10:58:14 AM

Er, doesn't the South Shore of the St. Lawrence inside of Modern Quebec?  Looking around the net it seems that Montreal was attacked by Mohawks in it's early history who seemed to feel that the area was there territory.  So perhaps some of the Indians begged to differ that the land was abandoned.  Also it seems there plenty of Innu (at least that's what Wikipedia called them), wandering about.

Oh you meant the Province? I thought you meant the city. My bad.

Then yes, they used to live here. Mostly on anything south-east side of the St-lawrence. I think the Mohawks were on the West-side.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Martinus

Can some mod fix the typo in the thread title? It annoys me every time I look at it in the forum index.