Canada to firmly re-assess its status as a British colony

Started by viper37, August 15, 2011, 08:08:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaCroix

Quote from: Martinus on August 21, 2011, 02:40:03 AM
Can some mod fix the typo in the thread title? It annoys me every time I look at it in the forum index.

given the way people treat you here, is that something you want to announce? ;)

grumbler

Quote from: Grey Fox on August 20, 2011, 07:56:43 PM
Oh you meant the Province? I thought you meant the city. My bad.

Then yes, they used to live here. Mostly on anything south-east side of the St-lawrence. I think the Mohawks were on the West-side.
Yes.  Previous attempts to settle on the site of Quebec had been abandoned because of the hostility of the natives.  The land was temporarily empty because of the war and/or because the land was being allowed to lie fallow.  Not that this means anything, since European and native concepts of land ownership were so far apart.  The location was certainly more significant for the Europeans than the natives.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Malthus

Quote from: Oexmelin on August 19, 2011, 10:26:58 PM
Quote from: Malthus on August 19, 2011, 09:34:57 AM
It's like saying "when the aliens landed in Flanders in 1917, the area they landed in was completely uninhabited".  :D

That's not quite apt. There was no war being waged: the St. Lawrence Iroquoians were gone, i.e., the conflicts were over, the Iroquoians were either dead or incorporated into other groups.  No trace of them remained. Your hypothetical aliens could not have said the same of Flanders.

They certainly could, if they landed in no man's land. Few Belgians stayed on to farm between shellings. :D

The notion that the St Lawrence valley was "terra nullius" when settled by France is no doubt comforting, and accurate in that no state level society claimed it, but rather misleading. 
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Oexmelin

Quote from: Malthus on August 21, 2011, 03:11:27 PM
The notion that the St Lawrence valley was "terra nullius" when settled by France is no doubt comforting, and accurate in that no state level society claimed it, but rather misleading.

I probably missed the initial wording of the "debate" in this trainwreck of a thread, but I wasn't claiming the St. Lawrence valley was terra nullius - simply because I don't think this concept has any relevant meaning for the situation (or, really, in most historical situations). The point - or, my very limited point, at least - was not about finding emotional comfort, but rather understanding how the fact that land use in the St. Lawrence valley without the St. Lawrence Iroquoian  being there, was much less conflictual that would eventually be the case, say, in New England or the Natchez region - in turn leading to profound consequences on issues of Native and French settlement and relationships (i.e., mission villages, absence of treaties, etc.). 
Que le grand cric me croque !

Razgovory

To me, it looks like an effect to paint the French settlers as blameless innocents in contrast the blood thirsty Anglos.  In other words, more whinny identity politics.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Oexmelin

Considering the way you troll when anything related to Quebec comes up, I find it hard to care much about how these things look to you.
Que le grand cric me croque !

Razgovory

Quote from: Oexmelin on August 21, 2011, 06:22:17 PM
Considering the way you troll when anything related to Quebec comes up, I find it hard to care much about how these things look to you.

:lol:  I genuinely don't care about Quebec one way or the other.  The extant of my knowledge comes from posters here.  I know they have a language police and they are the most corrupt province of Canada.  I away get the feeling they have a serious inferiority complex, but that's just the impression I get from the posters here.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Grey Fox

Quote from: Razgovory on August 21, 2011, 06:38:15 PM
Quote from: Oexmelin on August 21, 2011, 06:22:17 PM

:lol:  I genuinely don't care about Quebec one way or the other.  The extant of my knowledge comes from posters here.  I know they have a language police and they are the most corrupt province of Canada.  I away get the feeling they have a serious inferiority complex, but that's just the impression I get from the posters here.

It wasn't always a complex. It used to be reality.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Razgovory

Well I'm happy for you that you are no longer inferior.  Still, these complaints about paintings being taken down are a bit tiresome.  You guys kind of remind me of Southerners and their stupid confederate battle flag.  "It's our culture and heritage!".  That's not really fair. You guys aren't that bad, but it's a similar vibe.

LaCroix

Quote from: Razgovory on August 21, 2011, 06:17:48 PM
To me, it looks like an effect to paint the French settlers as blameless innocents in contrast the blood thirsty Anglos.  In other words, more whinny identity politics.

the anglos were pretty fucked up. the reaction to the injun attack on jamestown first comes to thought :D

Razgovory

Quote from: LaCroix on August 21, 2011, 08:35:26 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on August 21, 2011, 06:17:48 PM

the anglos were pretty fucked up. the reaction to the injun attack on jamestown first comes to thought :D

The "Anglos" also starved some of my ancestors out of their homes.  A million dead and a million fled.  So yeah, lots of people have a beef with the Brits.

LaCroix

Grallon

Quote from: Grey Fox on August 21, 2011, 06:42:13 PM

It wasn't always a complex. It used to be reality.

Why are you even acknowledging that imbecile?  :rolleyes:

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Grallon

No comments...

But do send your brother our way - we'll find a use for him.

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Valmy

Quote from: viper37 on August 20, 2011, 01:17:18 PM
Quote from: Valmy on August 19, 2011, 12:36:07 PM
They strike me as sort of people who are in a perpetual state of outrage.
You should read Canadian newspapers to get things into perspective.

:hmm: Well I might be projecting a bit there.  We have many segments in the US that, politically anyway, are always outraged.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."