Canada to firmly re-assess its status as a British colony

Started by viper37, August 15, 2011, 08:08:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: viper37 on August 19, 2011, 09:01:50 AM
But apparently, the Queen is more popular than any Canadian artist to decorate the halls.  It's a little weird from a people insisting they are a realy country with their own culture.

So everytime somebody in the US puts up a picture of the President it means we have no culture?

I mean we don't but still...
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

HVC

Quote from: viper37 on August 19, 2011, 09:01:50 AM
Quote from: Neil on August 19, 2011, 08:36:12 AM
Because the left-wing loons at the CBC feel that if the Tories don't show enough appreciation for shitty Quebec artists, Quebec might separate.
he could have replaced it with another Canadian artist.  Supposedly, you guys have a Canadian culture.  It would have been nice to see it.
But apparently, the Queen is more popular than any Canadian artist to decorate the halls.  It's a little weird from a people insisting they are a realy country with their own culture.
replacing aquebec artist with a anglo one? you insane?
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on August 19, 2011, 09:01:40 AM
Why go see anything?  Why go to an art museum you can just see the paintings online?  Why go tour a historical site you can just see pictures of it?
For the art musuem, I keep asking myself why people want to go there, it's not something I get either.  The internet is filled with pictures of paintings or beautiful photographs.  And you can save them on your computer, watch them whenever you want.

The historical site, I understand.  Usually, there are activities, not just watching, and you have guides that will explain the stuff to you in much more details.
Also, on a site like Louisbourg, you can eat the traditional food the French soldiers and peasants living there would have eaten in the 18th century.  I keep vivid memories of this.

But seeing a "star"? 
I remember a sweepstake in a store once.  1st price: Meet Claudia Schiffer, have an autograph, take a picture with her.  2nd price: win all of what you've bought in the store that day.
I was happy to be 2nd...
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: HVC on August 19, 2011, 09:06:23 AM
replacing aquebec artist with a anglo one? you insane?
No.  It would have went nicely in the local media, on top of it.  Some moron would have complained, seen this as an attack on all of Quebec, that's a given.
But it would have faded nicely.

But now... the Queen... Wtf??

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on August 19, 2011, 09:05:31 AM
So everytime somebody in the US puts up a picture of the President it means we have no culture?

I mean we don't but still...
Do you keep a portrait of the President in all of your houses?
When you rotate a gallery, in a public office, do you replace it with pictures of the current President?

Valmy

Quote from: viper37 on August 19, 2011, 09:10:46 AM
When you rotate a gallery, in a public office, do you replace it with pictures of the current President?

Well...maybe if it was that famous painting of JFK.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on August 19, 2011, 09:12:54 AM

Any of you keep wall paintings of Andrew Jackson?  Nixon?

Valmy

Quote from: viper37 on August 19, 2011, 09:07:42 AM
For the art musuem, I keep asking myself why people want to go there, it's not something I get either.  The internet is filled with pictures of paintings or beautiful photographs.  And you can save them on your computer, watch them whenever you want.

The historical site, I understand.  Usually, there are activities, not just watching, and you have guides that will explain the stuff to you in much more details.
Also, on a site like Louisbourg, you can eat the traditional food the French soldiers and peasants living there would have eaten in the 18th century.  I keep vivid memories of this.

But seeing a "star"? 
I remember a sweepstake in a store once.  1st price: Meet Claudia Schiffer, have an autograph, take a picture with her.  2nd price: win all of what you've bought in the store that day.
I was happy to be 2nd...

Well I guess I just love seeing it in the flesh it is way different than seeing it on TV or on your computer.  If something is going on and some famous person is in Austin I will strongly consider going to check it out.  Likewise when I was in Rome I went to see the Pope because, hey, I am not Catholic or even like the idea of supreme religious authorities but it was just cool...and there were a bunch of other weird things about that day to.  I also remember when I was visiting my buddy in Boston and we went by them filming Good Will Hunting, we didn't know what it was at the time naturally, but I will always remember seeing the actors from the film just hanging around.  Likewise walking the lines of Jackson's Corps at the Second Manasas Battle field was pretty awesome even though, you know, it is just a forest with a fence.

Razgovory

Quote from: viper37 on August 19, 2011, 09:17:19 AM
Quote from: Valmy on August 19, 2011, 09:12:54 AM

Actually I do have a wall painting of a former President.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Barrister

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on August 19, 2011, 07:03:11 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 18, 2011, 10:52:24 PM
Damn! You fall of the wagon or something?

Um, I'm not an alcoholic so I've definitely not "fallen off the wagon." Nor was I drunk last night when I posted.

Let's just say sometimes people start spouting off crazy Canadian nationalist bullshit like Barrister does and has done in many threads, so I might as well play up to his portrayal of us as the worst country in the world full of mindless savages that delight in racism and destroying native Americans.

Just because Barrister hides behind moderate words that doesn't hide the immoderate Canadian supremacism (first time in history that phrase has been used) in his posts.

I'm staunchy pro-Canadian :Canuck: but (unlike others in this country) I never use that as an excuse to be anti-US.  I love America. :cool:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Quote from: viper37 on August 19, 2011, 09:17:19 AM

If I had an original wall painting of some President.  Especially if it was Andrew Jackson and painted during his lifetime that would be pretty awesome.

Razgovory

Quote from: viper37 on August 19, 2011, 08:59:00 AM
Quote from: Palisadoes on August 18, 2011, 03:13:18 PM
"Previous inhabitants" being the First Nations? So what are you, as a Quebecer, complaining about? By your own "logic" you shouldn't be there either.
there were no indians in the St-Lawrence valley when Champlain came to build Quebec city in 1608.

Who gave him the name "Quebec" if there were no Indians there?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Painting showing the arrival of Samuel de Champlain on the future site of Quebec City, 1608

I wonder who those guys are suppose to be.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Barrister

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on August 19, 2011, 08:47:52 AM
Quote from: Neil on August 19, 2011, 07:08:23 AM
You're not the worst country in the world.  Even if you rebelled against your king, it's not like you permanently wiped out the monarchy.  You're better than any of the other G8 countries except for the UK, Canada and Japan.

I've already explained in the past that the only rightful British King was living in exile because the people of Great Britain had already rebelled against their rightful King several generations prior. The moment the Stuarts were driven from the throne and replaced with illegitimate pretenders by Parliament which has no right to decide on succession of a King the King of the United Kingdom was no King at all, and our rebellion was against a pretender with a crown of clay.

So the US justified the revolution based on Jacobite grounds? :wacko:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on August 19, 2011, 09:25:43 AM
I wonder who those guys are suppose to be.

Their headdresses make them look like Lakotas.  That's weird.

Malthus

Quote from: viper37 on August 19, 2011, 08:59:00 AM
there were no indians in the St-Lawrence valley when Champlain came to build Quebec city in 1608.

:lol:

That's because it was an active battleground at the time:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Lawrence_Iroquoians#The_demise_of_the_St._Lawrence_Iroquoians

It's like saying "when the aliens landed in Flanders in 1917, the area they landed in was completely uninhabited".  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius