Canada to firmly re-assess its status as a British colony

Started by viper37, August 15, 2011, 08:08:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: Viking on August 18, 2011, 03:38:30 PM
meh... if Civilized nations didn't conquer and destroy the Barbarous then world would consist almost exclusively of the Barbarous. Furthermore I will assert that none of the "First Nations" of Canada were the first nation to occupy the land and the many generations of previous civilizations occupying each land had been genocided by the present "first nation" (scare quotes this time). To dip into the fetid pool of post-modernism, I consider it a grossly hegemonic imposition of Eurocentricims to treat the American Indians as innocent naïfs without worldlyness nor an ability to take responsability for their actions. No culture ethnically cleansed by "Imperialist Anglo-Canadians"!!!!1111oneoneoen didn't ethnically cleanse and/or assimilate a previous one.

Fate, is that you?

Valmy

Quote from: viper37 on August 18, 2011, 03:29:56 PM
If I conquer a country, deport the people there who could oppose me, put my own people in place, make sure the colony is administered by people I choose, is it a wonder that they choose to remain loyal to my crown?

Are you implying Canada is keeping its symbolic monarchy because of fear of Liz's despotic powers?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Viking

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 18, 2011, 03:39:32 PM
meh... if Civilized nations didn't conquer and destroy the Barbarous then world would consist almost exclusively of the Barbarous. Furthermore I will assert that none of the "First Nations" of Canada were the first nation to occupy the land and the many generations of previous civilizations occupying each land had been genocided by the present "first nation" (scare quotes this time). To dip into the fetid pool of post-modernism, I consider it a grossly hegemonic imposition of Eurocentricims to treat the American Indians as innocent naïfs without worldlyness nor an ability to take responsability for their actions. No culture ethnically cleansed by "Imperialist Anglo-Canadians"!!!!1111oneoneoen didn't ethnically cleanse and/or assimilate a previous one.

Fate, is that you?

No, I am Viking. I belong to the only civilized people in the world to dominate it's country without ever having stolen it from anybody.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Viking on August 18, 2011, 03:49:31 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on August 18, 2011, 03:39:32 PM

Fate, is that you?

No, I am Viking. I belong to the only civilized people in the world to dominate it's country without ever having stolen it from anybody.
ok, Fate.

Richard Hakluyt

Valmy

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on August 18, 2011, 03:52:03 PM
Will nobody think of the Irish monks  :cry:

They had it coming.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Viking

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on August 18, 2011, 03:52:03 PM
Will nobody think of the Irish monks  :cry:

Papey is not inhabited by icelanders. My ancestors just killed 12 monks and novices, so what?

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Viking

Barrister

Quote from: viper37 on August 18, 2011, 03:29:56 PM
Quote from: Barrister on August 18, 2011, 03:17:02 PM
You are aware, of course, that the current ruling dynasty rule in the UK (and Canada) because the English Parliament invited them to be their monarchs by passing the Act of Settlement?  They didn't conquer anything.
If I conquer a country, deport the people there who could oppose me, put my own people in place, make sure the colony is administered by people I choose, is it a wonder that they choose to remain loyal to my crown?

You really should look into British history more often.

The House of Stuart was the lawful sovereign at the time.  However, the Brits didn't want to be ruled by a Catholic, so by the Act of Settlement they prhibited any Catholic from taking the throne, and instead gave it to the House of Hannover.  And it is the descendents of the House of Hannover (which because of a couple of female Queens, and a World War, is now known as the House of Mountbatten-Windsor) who are our current monarchs.

Good Queen Liz isn't Queen because of some right of conquest.  She is Queen because we chose her ancestors to be the sovereign, and because we continue to choose to have them as our sovereign.

Quote from: viper
And ethnic cleansing?  What the hell are you talking about?  You can't be talking about natives, as they're still here.
First, there was the Acadians
Then, the small pox infected blankets given to indians, to get rid of them.  It was an official strategy by Amherst.
And the various deportation, attempted or successful of Indians and Métis, as well as the execution of Louis Riel to send a message that resistance was futile.

I'm not even talking about the forced assimilation of the French people outside of Quebec (mainly in Manitoba, and Ontario) following the Confederation, as these were technically crimes by the Canadians, not the British, even though we were a colony at the time.

Acadians were a tragedy, yes.  Pretty small potatoes to tar an entire country with for all of history though.

But then you stray pretty far from the historical record.  There was no deportation of Indians or Metis.  At all.  Louis Riel was hung because he led an armed rebellion against the government.  There was no forced assimilation of the French.  There was some assimilation, yes, but I don't know if it would surprise you to learn that I know several native-born Albertans and Manitobans whose first language is French.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

The Acadians moved to Louisiana didn't they?   No offense to Canada but they have alot more fun than you guys do.

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on August 18, 2011, 04:01:49 PM

The House of Stuart was the lawful sovereign at the time.

Pretty sure the stuff he is talking about happened after 1714.

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on August 18, 2011, 04:07:26 PM
Quote from: Barrister on August 18, 2011, 04:01:49 PM

The House of Stuart was the lawful sovereign at the time.

Pretty sure the stuff he is talking about happened after 1714.

But it goes to my point that the Queen only rules with the consent of her subjects.

Wuebec has every right, if they wish, to remove the Queen as their sovereign.  However, they have instead twice voted to maintain the status quo. -_-
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Richard Hakluyt

This is cracking stuff for a Canadian politics thread; well done guys  :cheers:

Razgovory

I think the the fact that viper isn't even getting the support of Valmy, Republican of Republicans on this is somewhat telling.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Quote from: Viking on August 18, 2011, 03:49:31 PM

What gave you the impression that the Icelandic are civilized?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017